PDA

View Full Version : Yet another q on acf-50

SEAGUL
01-10-2008, 09:10 PM
Okay so I have just bought a tin of this but i thought id ask this before applying it.

Written on the tin it mentions that this is a penetrant, therefore would it be a bad idea to apply to nuts and bolts etc in case it loosens them?

cheers,
G

spike748
01-10-2008, 10:19 PM
Thats not as bad as you think G. The fluid should penetrate any corroded parts and help you undo them for maintenance etc, provided fasteners are torqued/tightened up the fluid will not undo them. Dukes do have a tendency to rattle things loose anyway so it is always worth checking fasteners are tight regularly. On the plus side, fasteners should not seize solid if you use the ACF. The problem comes where metals that are dissimilar are bolted together i.e. a mild steel screw into an alloy casing. It is worth taking these out and smearing them with a little grease to prevent them seizing up and then tighten them back up to the correct torque. While you are at that job, why not change them to stainless and have cheap, instant bling and no furry mild steel!!

SEAGUL
02-10-2008, 10:19 AM
Spot on on, good advice, cheers for that mate.

Now on the hunt for shiny new stainless bolts :)

gremlin
05-10-2008, 11:39 AM
dont forget to cover stainless bolt treads with coppa-slip (grease will do ) before putting them in to ally casings, they will seize just as much and snap off easier than mild steel when you try to remove them if you dont !!!!!!!.

Mr G

julesbristol
02-11-2008, 08:45 AM
Similar q really but i'm completely new to this, but got some ACF50 spray too. It goes on EVERYTHING apart from the chain and brakes? So electrics, engine, bit by the spark plugs, exhausts, pipes?

Headhunter
02-11-2008, 09:01 AM
I'd avoid the wheel too just in case it drips on to the tyre when riding in wet weather.

Basically everywhere bar where you've mentioned (chain, brakes, wheel). Also once you've applied it let the bike tick over for a while and don't be scared by the smoke! I thought it was going to go up in flames the 1st time I did it. Just needs to run for 15 minutes or so before it burns off.