PDA

View Full Version : Bikes in the Winter

julesbristol
29-09-2008, 06:15 PM
For the first time this morning there was a slight layer of ice on the road. It's getting a bit cooler. I recollect picking up a thread on the UKMOC about spraying some electrical conditioning/connection-enhancing spray under the seat during the winter months. I've only ever had old scooters before with no electrics so this is all a bit new:

a) what's the best spray to get?
b) exactly where do i spray?
c) how frequently?

As ever, thanks a million for the help. Jules

yantheman
29-09-2008, 08:05 PM
hi, acf-50 is very good, I bought my bike in December last year and rode it through the winter and its been protecting the bike really well. Applied everywhere except the chain, tryes, brake discs and brake pads. Smells nice too :D

Nickj
29-09-2008, 09:18 PM
I've only ever had old scooters before with no electrics

LOL Jules bet the monster is a real treat then, none of that scooting just twistthe throttle and go.

I was up and on the road about 5am this morning (a detour route in to work, about 100 miles further but still in on time) and am a few hundred feet higher and further north than you. I'd hacked over to the heads of the valleys and back. No frost anywhere. Still a bit early this far south.

I use a mix of acf-50, that seems good most anywhere. Wiring block cennectors clean and a wipe of vaseline.

NattyBoy
29-09-2008, 09:58 PM
if were talking about protective spray, then the best value for money is scottoiler FS365. ACF50 is however another esseintial purchase but very expensive (about £12 an aerosol)

Louigimoto in keynsham stock ACF50

Nat

Scootaboy
30-09-2008, 09:14 AM
I use silicon spray from halfords £4.99 after washing it but I might give acf50 a try if I ever see it in the shops - apparently it smokes a bit when you first start up the bike though??

Scootaboy
30-09-2008, 09:15 AM
and just to emphasize - avoid the tyres/brakes at all costs unless you want to go ice skating :):)

Nickj
30-09-2008, 12:17 PM
Theres a superb video of a yank on his bike post a detail clean. Silcone cleaner on ALL the tyre surfaces, seemed to make them quite slippery!!

The high silicon content lubes are great for cables as they are usually lined these days. A good clean through with it and they'll feel lovely.

The acf bonds to the surfaces a bit. keeps the alloy corrosion down.

retskcid
30-09-2008, 06:29 PM
ACF 50 and I have just discovered the virtues of cleaning wheels with WD40 - superb!!!