PDA

View Full Version : Non starter

Buzz
28-09-2008, 07:18 PM
Hi Guys

Haven't posted for a while as Mrs Buzz rides the Monster now, but have a problem I hope someone can help me with.

Last Thursday, decided to take the Monster to work. It started fine so I set off but after only about 5 mins it suddenly lost power and then cut out. I'd only gone about a mile.

Tried starting it again at the side of the road but it would only 'catch' on one cylinder, and as soon as I tried to rev it, it died.

Anyway, I pushed it home (uphill all the way - and I've got a knackered knee!) and found another way to get to work (late).

Guessing it was fuel related, today we disconnected the pipe to the carbs and cranked it over - pumping loads so I don't think it can be a blocked filter or knackered switch/pump etc. It's not an air lock either (it won't start even if you lift the filler cap). Checked for a spark and both seem okay. Plugs fine.

So, thinking it might be a blocked jet/split diaphram etc. we've had the carbs off and they seem fine (cleaned 'em up and blew out all the jets but they weren't at all dirty). Put it all back together and charged the battery (again - fine) and.... same problem!

It just cranks and cranks, occationally starting (just) on one cylinder, but stalls as soon as you turn the throttle.

It seems very similar to when the carbs ice in winter, but it's been nice and warm this week so it can't be that.

HELP!

Oh, forgot to say, it's a year 2000 carbed 750 and yes, it has got petrol in it.

russ77
28-09-2008, 10:19 PM
Most likely Italian electrics I'm afraid. I suppose you've already checked all the connections. If not, break out the wiggling finger, emery paper, baking soda and Vaseline.

Pull out the plug after turning it over, sniff it and see if it's covered in unburnt petrol. If so, you're getting fuel pumped in.

Are you getting a spark? Try removing the HT lead from the affected plug, placing a spare plug in it, holding the threaded section on the motor and seeing if you get a spark. If not, it's hopefully the lead itself rather than the coil.

**Remember not to do this with the original plug removed, or you'll get petrol vapour pumping out of the cylinder, which will be ignited by the spark. Watch your fingers while testing the plug too. If you've got some insulated pliers, hold the lead with them.

Buzz
29-09-2008, 03:39 PM
Thanks Russ

I am getting a spark on both plugs, and there appears to be fuel getting through. The only thing I can think of is water might have got in the fuel (have been searching other threads and this has happened to others). I'll invest in a couple of new plugs (just in case), drain off the fuel and try some 'fresh' to see if that makes any difference.

Be grateful for any other ideas though (in case that doesn't work).