PDA

View Full Version : Ducati 748

julesbristol
25-09-2008, 01:53 PM
anyone know anything about 748s? Speciifically anything to look for when buying them and how much would a mint 1995 one with 20k on the clock look to fetch currently? any help appreciated Jules

dunlop0_1
25-09-2008, 02:36 PM
Mine is a 2003 748s and the only difference is 5 spoke mag wheels Showa suspension and an adjustable steering head angle otherwise it is stock. Look for the usual Ducati problems but on the pre 99 bikes the wiring from the alternator behind the battery gets hot and melts causing electrical gremlins, easily fixed though. The early alloy wheels are very soft and easily buckled. Flaking rockers is another issue that Ducati had supposed to have resolved but mine had 2 openers fail at less than 6000 miles. Just remember it is a 13 year old bike so i doubt it will totally problem free, just buy it and worry later.

Neil.

http://i139.photobucket.com/albums/q289/dunlop0_1/IM001178.jpg

julesbristol
25-09-2008, 03:01 PM
Thanks Neil. Very helpful. Any feel for a reasonable price?

NattyBoy
25-09-2008, 03:15 PM
Hi Jules

The normal stuff really - service history lots of recepits are good. Some 748's can eat rockers so unless its really cheap dont touch anything you cant be sure hasnt been looked after properly. Worst case, a new complete set of rockers fitted will be getting on for the value of the bike !

That said I bought my '97 748BP with nothing and got it for just £1475 !

If yours really is up together then I would say £2750 is the target price.

Give rich Lewellin a call at www.louigimoto.co.uk (your neck of the woods) and he'll help you out with things to look out for - tell him nat sent yer ;>)

Good luck - a well set up and geared 748 can be a delight to ride !

Nat

Bodybag
25-09-2008, 04:24 PM
Check for oil leaking grom behind the rear cylinder. You'll see it pooled in the reinforcement spars on the back of the block. It's nothing to worry about (They all do that sir).

There are two trains of thought on this:

1. Just keep checking the oil regularly and keep it topped up (mah fave-rit!!)
2. Have the base gasket on the rear cylinder replaced (a reasonably complex job to do but achievable with the right tools).

This is a common problem with this series of engine and it won't affect the bike unless you either don't bother topping up the oil, or you don't mop it out every now and then and you manage to pull big wheelies thus pouring hot oil all over your back tyre!!

:look:

NattyBoy
25-09-2008, 04:29 PM
Didnt know the rear cylinder leakage was an issue on the 748 ? Thought the main culprit was the S4 ?

Bodybag
25-09-2008, 04:53 PM
No, all that series does it. I had it on both my S4 and the 748S. Perhaps I'm the common factor in that.

Bodybag =

748/916 engine + Oil Leak
748/916 engine

Therefore Bodybag = Oil leak!!

Did you see the impressive use of my newly returned algebra skills?!