PDA

View Full Version : Motorcycles to get speed limiters

Capo
22-09-2008, 05:24 PM
We don't care what you think, its going to happen

Wonder if they work with magnetos :mand:

http://www.motorcyclenews.com/MCN/News/newsresults/mcn/2008/september/15-21/sep1908-speed-limiters-for-motorcycles/?&R=EPI-103024

fatbloke
22-09-2008, 05:36 PM
when and if it happens if will be the same day I give up motorcycling
f*cking nanny state w*nkers

Capo
22-09-2008, 06:07 PM
when and if it happens if will be the same day I give up motorcycling
f*cking nanny state w*nkers

That Terry is what they want you to do.

Rogerg
22-09-2008, 06:14 PM
hmm. Will never happen. Think of all the revenue they would loose from speeding fines not to mention killing multi million pound industry overnight.

This is one of those "stop moaning about the road tax hike" or similar and we'll drop the speed limiters.

Nonnie
22-09-2008, 06:20 PM
Or just More Crap News

Nickj
22-09-2008, 06:31 PM
Would this over ride button be linked to a virtual driving licence and your credit/cash card??

Assuming this has to be built in somewhere and have a method of shutting down a motor you have to think new gen electronics and injectors.
Better push Ducati into making a pukka classic line with carbs and kick start, add just enough power to run the bikes electrics with no spare.

It's a dumb idea and any government should be thinking of better ways to waste our money

SazzaG
22-09-2008, 06:59 PM
Ironically, I probably drive my car faster than my bike most of the time. Are they going to put limiters on cars as well then?....

When will the f*cking government learn than it's not speed that kills, it's inappropriate speed. Stopping people doing over 70mph will have very little effect on accident rates.

desmo
22-09-2008, 07:00 PM
Won't happen an time soon, it's only economicly possible on fuel injected vehicles anyway & they will lose too much revenue in speeding fines.
Only another 2 years & this bunch of wan#ers will be out on their ear anyway, trouble is the alternative is probably as bad.

Phatty
22-09-2008, 08:06 PM
MAD MAX here we come, about time we all just stopped paying road tax, insurance and all that and just did what we wanted like outlaws. sod em.

Capo
22-09-2008, 08:16 PM
Or it could be hacked and all roads set to 5 mph, that would jam things up nicely

Phatty
22-09-2008, 09:11 PM
as my mate always says whenever this subject comes up:-

"I'll happily have a limiter or a tracker on my bike............providing then put a ban on rambling and carvanning"

STIVH
22-09-2008, 09:53 PM
What I can't get a grip of is how these things will work on a bike for instance and the cosequence of the limiter cutting in

For example when you are leaning into a corner doing say 40mph in a 40 zone you blip it and with out knowing it have just hit 45mph still leaning the limiter cuts in no speed and the wrong angle to vertical.

Only one way to go.....

You smash the bike into the oncoming car after flopping onto the road and sliding for a few yards.

You die !!!

Yes you where over the speed limit.

But thats not what made you crash.

So how do these things make my life safer or that of any other road user.

Having said that if they do fit these onto my bike I am dammed sure I will make every other bugger behind me suffer the same speed limit what ever they they are driving.

Plenty of lorries have speed limiters and tacho's fitted and it doesn't stop them hitting 60plus or driving like melons.

(Also as an after thought if the box was surrounded with lead or something similiar will it still transmit a signal?)

Nickj
22-09-2008, 10:30 PM
(Also as an after thought if the box was surrounded with lead or something similiar will it still transmit a signal?)
A farraday cage would do the biz, imagine fine mesh fishnet (or fishnet stocking if you prefer) made of conductive metal and earthed.
Keeps any external signals out and any iternal signals in. Problem would be the signal would have disappeared. It would be a semi passive system only active when it senses your being bad or is polled by an external signal.
Ideally you'd have a spoof signal at home or even one just reporting back that it's looping round some local roads at boringly legal speeds while you are stealthly hammering away somewhere else.
You'd suspect that the few patrol cars would have some kind of localised system that would call out to passing cars to check a response that says in reply 'Hi I'm such and such and being good' so a small dumb responder would also be a good idea.

Whatever it is you can bet it will be cloned and broken in next to no time (like the oyster cards) and lots of people will be vainly fighting to prove that they weren't doing xxxmph at location x

Nickj
22-09-2008, 10:32 PM
A nice mesh lined tank bag over the top of it would do.. Sheesh how was I to know bag would do that !!

Capo
22-09-2008, 10:50 PM
Before the engine will start, it will have to receive 'permission' this will involve checks of the VIN and that tax, insurance and mot and that the RFID tag in the registration plate is present and correct, it will also check (big selling point here) that the vehicle has not been reported stolen. A later version (after the compulsory introduction of biometric ID cards) will require the identifcation of the driver by finger print or iris recognition, if you are banned or are not named on the insurance policy no start, if you have been reported by one of the recently introduced goverment approved vigilante groups, 10mph will be deducted from the allowed speed limit. As the goverment spokesman has stated as far as motorcycles and speed goes this is the end. They don't need anymore tests, they chose not to listen to arguments that this in some conditions would be unsafe. I wonder if an act will be passed absolving the 'authorities' from any responsibility for any injuries or death arising from the introduction of this system.

If you have nothing to hide then you have nothing to fear, this will put and end to those yobs tearing around on mini bikes, and prevent terrorists from carrying out their deadly work. It may however create and different kind of 'terrorist'.

Blind Alan
23-09-2008, 12:51 AM
The fist time someone is injured due to this sh!te could be interesting legally.......
The ambulance chasers'd have a field day!

NewMon
23-09-2008, 07:04 AM
Hmm. Trying to penetrate the crap reporting from MCN isn't easy but there seem to be two stories here: The DFT wants manufacturers to make the systems available for cars and bikes so if people want them fitted, they can buy them. Secondly, they want a dataset available which lays speed limits onto roads so this technology will work if anyone makes it.

So that's voluntary then. No-one in their right mind will actually want one so the industry just needs to tell the DFT that there is no demand and they aren't going to do it. As has been mentioned, any GPS based device is going to be defeated if the signals from the satellites (which are very weak) are blocked. Heavy rain can do this. Also large buildings, dense trees and of course tinfoil.

They get it worong in the first sentence: "Motorcycles will be fitted with speed limiters linked to satellites". A 'link' implies two way traffic. All these kind of scare stories start with this nonsense. GPS is receive only and the signals are very weak. Reception is easily defeated so none of these systems are ever going to be practical as a compulsory system. Remember road charging and insurance schemes?

JerryXt
23-09-2008, 09:16 AM
This came up a while ago and funnily enough, German legislation put a stop to it. The issue is that the driver/rider isn't in full control of the vehicle - the system is preventing him/her from controlling the vehicle under certain conditions. You can just imagine - overtaking when the vehicle next to you speeds up to the limit and there's something coming the other way - jam all over just because the rider couldn't break the limit or paniced and couldn't reach the override. Or their winter gloves were too bulky...

Plus, this is all great when you're stopped in a place with good WiFi, but I've travelled to remote places like Yorkshire, and wireless stuff - it ain't great up there!

Pointless. If they want to cut road deaths, put immobiliers in vehicles driven by teenagers and stop them driving at night. That's comparatively easy to do.

banditloon
23-09-2008, 09:17 AM
Note to self, don't read MCN... It's total tosh!

Haven't read it for 5 years, still not going to. Down with Emap (and the Government).....

gremlin
23-09-2008, 05:24 PM
This came up last year and the tests that were carried out proved it was dangerous, especially round corners where the bike stood up. The governments own group said it was dangerous but then when have they ever listened to anybody. They'll be hackable just like the super secure passports, PIN system and everthing else these pillocks have brought in. As usual it will be the normally law abiding citizen who will get hammered, those driving illegally will get round it, after all if ANPR is all it's cracked up to be, why are there 1.4 million uninsured drivers on the road (quoting Direct line ad!)

S4 MAD
26-09-2008, 11:02 AM
just a quick thought on the comment that it would kill off a multi million pound industry overnight, its never stopped goverments in the past or now .
just remember we are run by a load of self rigthous know it all nanny state loveing
brussell supporters.:thumbsdown:

JerryXt
26-09-2008, 11:16 AM
, after all if ANPR is all it's cracked up to be, why are there 1.4 million uninsured drivers on the road (quoting Direct line ad!)

indeed - we discovered after 11 months that our car insurance had our postcode as the numberplate. Some numpty in Mumbai no doubt.

jerry
27-09-2008, 11:04 PM
bikes sold in Japan have speed limiters as standard so Fireblade or 1098 etc sold in japan is limited to 108mph max but they are easy to remove andthen full speed is attainable.

neilbaldry
28-09-2008, 11:41 AM
I think everyone knows that the UK is overpopulated for its infrastructure.

So, in my eyes 1 of 2 things needs to happen:

1. Infrastructure needs a massive overhaul which would equal a massive financial investment (which they dont have)

2. Population needs to be thinned out accordingly.

The fact that the Govt are trying out another token idea is fact that they dont know what they are doing! Speed limiters WONT WORK!

Capo
28-09-2008, 01:19 PM
Expansion of the infrastrucure is opposed by the environmentalists and thats a good enough excuse not to anything.

Population thinning?? I let the immigration figures speak for that.

After all they are not novices at this.

jerry
29-09-2008, 10:52 AM
Population Thinning? ....er start with the politicians ,then most of the bureaucrats ...then all the other PC hangers on ...thats about 2 million less arseholes for a begining.