PDA

View Full Version : Hello everyone!

Johnny_E
21-09-2008, 05:54 PM
Hi

Just a quick hello to introduce me and my monster 750ie. I've been chopping & changing bikes since starting aged 35, 2 yeas ago. I've owned a CB250, Hornet 600, 929 Fireblade, and have just sold my Kawasaki 750. So, now its time to sample some Italian V Twin fun!

The bike is a 2002 with only 1300 miles on it! Original tyres are still on and barely worn. The bike was stolen recovered and I'm needing new clocks for it this week but asides from that, its barely been used. It was nicked in year 1 of its life and bought at auction off the insurers. The buyer thought he'd make a quick profit but didnt realise just what Ducati had done inside those clocks :chuckle: It has been laid up for years. The paintjob has me scratching my head though... ever seen this scheme before?

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3274/2868088565_cec997538c.jpg

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3117/2868092927_5af27e6f79.jpg

http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2007/2868922634_41821d470f.jpg

I'll be asking loads of things over the next while - but I'll keep that for the relevant place. Cant wait till the clocks arrive and I get a run on it!

John

Snips
21-09-2008, 07:12 PM
Looks a nice clean bike, Johnny.

Welcome to the club!

ricky
21-09-2008, 07:34 PM
hi there!! another n,irish member!! fantastic!!! im ricky the n, ireland rep mate. welcome to the club, its great for gettin advice and bargains plus some very rambling funny chats! so wereabouts in gods country are you??

Johnny_E
21-09-2008, 09:16 PM
hi there!! another n,irish member!! fantastic!!! im ricky the n, ireland rep mate. welcome to the club, its great for gettin advice and bargains plus some very rambling funny chats! so wereabouts in gods country are you??

I'm in Waringstown. The bikes currently with Davy McKeown - dunno if you know or have heard of him. His Dad was the first importer of Ducatis into NI - and Davy knows them inside out. He works at them from home in Dollingstown. I'm hoping it wont be too long before he gets the bike sorted and running. Of course sods law innit... I sold my Z750 on Wednesday night and whilst bikeless, we get the best weekend's weather of the year! Typical!

John

Nickj
21-09-2008, 11:55 PM
Another 750IE, don't see many of them about. Nice colours scheme too.
Enjoy

Arbeia
22-09-2008, 09:26 AM
welcome to the family m8.

luvmaduke
24-09-2008, 03:06 PM
the colours look great , hope it gets going for ya soon . you will have lots of advice if needed as i found out . the club is full of lurrrvvee .

Johnny_E
25-09-2008, 08:54 AM
the colours look great , hope it gets going for ya soon

The story of the bike is unfolding each day as we get closer to getting it up & running!

Between it being nicked and getting to me via the insurers/aucctions/buyer/mate :eyepopping: somebody tried to hide its identity with a respray. The V5 is in my posession ok. Chassis and engine numbers match up 100% but it was originally red. I'm quite pleased the crooks did this - as they did a VERY fine job with the paint :biggrin: The pin striping on the tank is absolutely perfect.

As for getting it going, my mate had a 600/620? in for a service, and borrowed some bits to get her running - and its sweet as a nut.

We've decided, rather than changing the clocks and making the low mileage incorrect, we're gonna get a E59 ECU from Sigma Racing - one of the ones that bypasses the whole red key issue. Also gives me a fully remappable ECU - so I cant complain. LINK: http://www.ultimap-ecu.com/

Meanwhile, the front mudguard is being resprayed to get rid of storage scratches. Likewise, the footrest hangers are off for blasting and coating to freshen them up. Tail tidy (route 9) ordered - and I got nice black billet alloy reservior tops for the brake & clutch. New bar ends in billet too.

Finding it hard mind you... waiting, while the weather has turned good. Its the first time in 2 years I've been without a bike :hissy:

John

ricky
25-09-2008, 02:16 PM
bloody weather is great!! was goin to SORN my bike this week but am gettin it taxed just in case it stays good!!

thats some story at least you got a good paint job out of it!!

Johnny_E
25-09-2008, 02:34 PM
bloody weather is great!! was goin to SORN my bike this week but am gettin it taxed just in case it stays good!!

thats some story at least you got a good paint job out of it!!

It seems that the bike was ridden from new till 1400 miles, nicked, found, auctioned and stored! Its been laid up for 5 years. A couple of weeks work & I'll have it back like new again.

Up side of getting this Ultimap ECU is that I get full fuel map control. Better than putting 2nd hand clocks/ECU/Ignition keys & barrel into a barely used bike.

John

Bodybag
25-09-2008, 04:16 PM
Hell omate and welcome to the club.

Change the belts! Change the belts! Change the belts! Change the belts! Change the belts!

Did I mention you need to change the belts? :D

And those tyres, while they look physically OK the compund may have started to deteriorate. Be careful if you're going to ride on them!!

P.S. Change the belts.

Johnny_E
25-09-2008, 06:42 PM
Hell omate and welcome to the club.

Change the belts! Change the belts! Change the belts! Change the belts! Change the belts!

Did I mention you need to change the belts? :D

And those tyres, while they look physically OK the compund may have started to deteriorate. Be careful if you're going to ride on them!!

P.S. Change the belts.

Hee hee.. I hear ya! They're done already! Last week. Great minds eh?

John

ricky
25-09-2008, 07:31 PM
Hee hee.. I hear ya! They're done already! Last week. Great minds eh?

John

watch that bodybag fella!!! he has abit of a belt fetish!!!:eek:

johnsy
28-09-2008, 06:41 PM
I'll 2nd the tyre issue bought a 5 year old m900 3.5k mile, original tyre as the bloke spent more time respaying it than riding it. :confused:
Left Norfolk to get the ferry to Bilboa 120 miles ish, while waiting in the bike queue admiring the bike, a bloke said 'Oi mate your tyres knackered' :twak: as i rubbed my hand over it to remove the dust i must of picked up, i stabbed myself with the wire poking out, what looked like nearly new tyre, shredded itsely over those mile :hissy:
Carefully riding around Bilboa, looking for a new rear tyre, i promised myself, for a 200 quid, i'll always put new rubber on when in doubt :yoparty:
Happy riding mate, looks good in black.

Johnny_E
27-10-2008, 10:50 AM
Well... weeks later, and I'm almost there!! The Monster should be all done later this week all being well. Heres whats been done....

- Ultimap ECU from Pro Twins (to get round the new keys issue). Means I keep the clocks original with the genuine 1300 miles on the clock. Bonus is that the now useless immobiliser light can be programmed as a shift light ! :yoparty:

- Got front mudguard resprayed - with the same custom striping.

- Got footrest hangers re-coated - to get rid of storage marks (rope burns!)

- Nice black billet alloy reservior caps plus matching billet bar ends (from http://www.carbon-trader.com/ )

- Tail tidy

- New belts, fluids, filters etc...

- And finally... a bargain. A pair of brand new Motad Venom S/S oval cans. An eBay bargain at £114 delivered! I've got a buyer for the scratched originals which reduces that to a mere £64!

Can't wait. The wee bike will have cost around £1800 in the end which I think (hope) works out at good value for the mileage. Hope to post some pics & video next week :woot:

Johnny

ricky
27-10-2008, 11:48 AM
baragin!! well done mate!! are you going to be riding it in the winter then??
mines of road for abit till i get a few things fixed!:Furious:

Johnny_E
27-10-2008, 12:48 PM

Just on the dry days to clear my head. I've a car for work - and it runs on LPG @ 53p a litre - so ironically, its cheaper for me to run a Volvo than a bike :eyepopping:

Johnny

Bodybag
27-10-2008, 07:37 PM

Whats that then mate? Stabilisers and mini moto wheels? :D

I'll get me coat!! :look:

ricky
27-10-2008, 07:50 PM
Whats that then mate? Stabilisers and mini moto wheels? :D

I'll get me coat!! :look:

oi boi!!!! none of that!!! :confused: mind you, smaller wheels could be a good idea!!! :mand: