PDA

View Full Version : Who's used engine paint...

Paranoid Dave
15-09-2008, 08:40 AM
I know a few people out there have used hight temp engine paint to tidy up in part or in full. I wondered what sort of results you got, or tips for prep and finish you might have.
Do you need a special cleaner or primer, is there a preferred make of paint? All comments welcome.

Thanks
PD

mad_turnips
15-09-2008, 08:57 AM
i did on the old 600 just used a spray can came up pretty good just the usual prep cant remeber the make A1 i think got it from a bike shop

Paranoid Dave
15-09-2008, 09:06 AM
Did you strip the old paint? Did you degrease the engine with anything special? Did you use any kind of etch primer?

mad_turnips
15-09-2008, 10:07 AM
it was a fairly quick job but i stripped the casings with nitromorz ( or however you spell it) then washed it a couple of times light sand then washed again then sprayed turned out great

Nickj
15-09-2008, 11:28 AM
Probably to get a good surface the best thing would be to have it shot peened (with the plastic particles not sand) then use an acid etch to get a good surface bond for the baase coat.

As it'll end up chipping and corroding again it's probably easier to clean as much as poss, degrease then spray with bog high temp paint

Pedro
15-09-2008, 03:42 PM
PD, I've used Smoothrite several times to good effect on fully stripped cases. Seems to last well and give a good finish. I did warm the cases first with a fan heater and "baked" them under a 1000W lamp after spraying.

Next time though I think I'll go the powder coat route as it's probably more chip resistant

julesbristol
15-09-2008, 04:21 PM
Apparently PJ1 Engne Paint does the trick. Guy I bought my 1995 M600 off had used it and it looks good as new.

Paranoid Dave
15-09-2008, 05:38 PM
I'm not going the full powder route, this is for the 600. Poor eric needs a makeover, he'll get a lot of TLC but its on a budget and he won't see huge amounts of miles a year. So i'm looking for tidy and low cost.

Thanks for the help so far.

Albie
15-09-2008, 05:49 PM
I also used smoothrite by hammerite. I did it as Pedro suggested. Do it in the warm and take your time. I know you are a patient man Dave as per your moulding posts. Get a good key. The primer is a red oxide colour and takes ages to dissapear. Be aware that it can chip.

Blah blah
15-09-2008, 07:19 PM
I have used Smoothrite (satin black) on several bikes now, and have never had a problem.
I removed as much of the old paint with a nylon brush attachment on my drill as I could, then washed thoroughly and allowed to dry.

Something that you will have to be careful of is spraying in humid/damp air, as moisture can be trapped under the paint. When you next start the engine, this then evapourates leaving lots of little holes in the previously smooth surface