PDA

View Full Version : Gearing issue?

Bueller77
15-09-2008, 08:39 AM
Hi guys,

Only just bought a 02 620ie (3500 miles on clock), she's in absolute showroom condition, seriously been looked after and to be honest, not ridden a lot as no signs of any of the usual marks from being ridden a lot.

However, being new to Ducatis I'm finding the gear changes a bit clunky, and they don't sound all that smooth. Is this something I will just learn to work with better as I get used to gearing? I come from riding one of the new Yamaha R125's which were basically a mini R6 and the gear changes were smooth as you like, here they feel a lot more mechanical (clunky) and not smooth.

Do they just need a good lubing up?

B

Nickj
15-09-2008, 11:35 AM
It's an acquired nack, you'll adapt to it very quickly

Bueller77
15-09-2008, 12:03 PM
That's what I wanted to hear :-) Thanks.

Rockhopper
15-09-2008, 12:08 PM
They get smoother the harder you ride them. They really don't like doing slow.

slob
15-09-2008, 01:10 PM
...just check there's no slack in the linkage between the pedal and the shift-shaft

Bueller77
15-09-2008, 01:13 PM
...just check there's no slack in the linkage between the pedal and the shift-shaft

Ok... Need to get my head into the user manual so I know exactly what I'm looking for (really am a total bike newbie!). Thanks.

slob
15-09-2008, 01:33 PM
Make sure that when the pedal (red) moves, the linkage (blue) moves too.
The rod (1/green) between them should have had all the slack adjusted out by releasing the locknuts (2 & 3) at the ends and turning the rod. It's probably fine, as Nick says, it will feel clunky compared with your last bike and should ease up with some more miles. Careful not to force anything if it does need adjustment as one end has a reverse thread.
http://www.ukmonster.co.uk/monster/attachment.php?attachmentid=11898&d=1221485417

Bueller77
15-09-2008, 01:34 PM
Fantastic, will check tonight. Thanks for the diagram.

B

Bueller77
15-09-2008, 06:15 PM
Had a check, all looks good. Have squirted a bit of WD40 into the joints - probably pointless, but hey ho. Changed my foot positioning on way home and that seemed to help anyway. She does not like commuting in traffic though... She just wants to be out on the open roads. Think it may take a little while to tame the beast!

julesbristol
15-09-2008, 07:35 PM
I'm new to monsters as well mate and mine's just the same, despite being an older model. sounds agricultural to start with when cold and at slow speeds. agree completely with the bloke who says they don't like being ridden round town. gets better when warmed up and when you get used to changing gears and going fast smoothly.

Nickj
15-09-2008, 08:44 PM
Just remember its a different style of riding to a small light single or a four, no revvy revvy stuff. Try short shifting and ride the torque curve, it'll feel odd and ever so lumpy but the motors have lots of grunt.
hehehehe or get a route into work like mine, 26 miles and only 3 in town, 40 minutes of fun even with the major roadworks in the middle.