PDA

View Full Version : Do police do anything about loud exhausts?

Karl S2R
13-09-2008, 09:21 AM
The Termi on my new bike is very loud, although it still has the cat in.

Has anyone been pulled for having a too loud exhaust, if so what do you get by way of a fine and order to reduce noise level.

Or, is it better to ride round with the DB killer baffle in place?

walpole68
13-09-2008, 09:34 AM
You can get 3 points and be made to take it off.All depends on the police officer,if your sensible and keep it quiet in towns your normally ok.if you get pulled for another offence by a traffic cop he may go to town on you,even with the db killers in place they are not legal.I have the db killers in mine but have modified them so louder than standard but not so loud at lower revs.

Headhunter
13-09-2008, 09:38 AM
They sit behind you for much longer to admire the Ducati symphony in G minor.

Wouldn't worry about it apart from MOT time and then you just call in advance to check.

ENJOY!

Nickj
13-09-2008, 09:52 AM
If they really want to do you for something they'll find a reason.
Just be sensible about where you go for 'loud'.
Examples while sliding up a bus lane last week I had a 'tut tut' finger from a plod bike so I hopped into the traffic slot he was in. I have one of those number plates that 'errr musta shrunk in the rain :freak:' and pipes that you can hear a mile away.
Yesterday on the way home an SV I often have a dice with and I had a police van up our asses for a few miles :eek:, both of us have loud cans and small plates. No way they weren't aware that our pipes weren't as quiet as they might be LMAO
Both times nada.
All depends what you're doing and where you're doing it, how pissed off or under quota the local plod are.

Nickj
13-09-2008, 09:56 AM
Oh and MOT time, the two local bike testers here are fine. One I see every morning, go past their place quite quick, he usually gives me a wave.
The one that tested mine was only interested in gas leaks at the joints. In the closed up workshop he just gave it some big blips and smiled. They also do CCMs which have a baky silencer as standard

dlloyduk
13-09-2008, 09:59 AM
Never had no trouble at all around here. Stopped once in 4 years or so said they where a bit loud - but its a Ducati and left it at that.

retskcid
13-09-2008, 06:27 PM
No problem with mine either on my run into London or at MOT time (no "not for road use" or "race use only" markings).

Grumpy
13-09-2008, 09:09 PM
I've asked the chap who mot's my bike as to the position with open pipes(I have open Sils fitted). Basically, as long as the cans have either a BS or EC stamp the mot test is not concerned with how much noise your pipes produce.