PDA

View Full Version : Music on your bike......

Lucati
12-09-2008, 09:42 AM
Now I know it's dangerous and I don't do it BUT what is the deal with listening to your i-pod on a bike? The only reason I ask is I have a new i-phone and the hands free is also the i-pod headphones (just with a built in Mic) and if I have them in to receive calls will I get my wrists slapped by plod?
I know people wear ear plugs on motorways, could this be considered the same? I don't want to listen to tunes as I love the sound of the Monster as much as any band!

Cheers

julesbristol
12-09-2008, 09:47 AM
i don't think it's illegal to be on a hands free whilst riding, but you'd be on dead thin ice if not with the police. wouldn't you need to press something to take the calls? doubt you could ever be heard over the noise either. ear plugs are fine. lots of riders wear them.

Rogerg
12-09-2008, 10:58 AM
I've got a ScalaRider Bluetooth jobbie in my Lid thats got an FM Radio in it.

The noise canceling Mic is so good the people I'm talking to have no idea I'm on the bike.

They're perfectly legal in the UK, but not in some countries on the continent such as La France.

giler
12-09-2008, 11:54 AM
Tried some thrash metal in my mp3 (son's mp3 if I am honest!) when
I used to trail ride and do a few enduros - trouble was it made me ride (and crash!) like a total looney!!

Headhunter
12-09-2008, 01:11 PM
Tried some thrash metal in my mp3 (son's mp3 if I am honest!) when
I used to trail ride and do a few enduros - trouble was it made me ride (and crash!) like a total looney!!

Oh yes. "Go faster music."

White wedding.

Yep, scala rider is the nuts.

JMo
12-09-2008, 01:28 PM
I started to use an ipod when I was touring around Europe this summer... at first you might find it a bit distracting, but as long as you don't have it too loud (so you can still hear your bike) it is actually quite a nice accompaniment, especially on longer boring roads...

As Rog says, some European countries don't approve - I was stopped in Spain for a paperwork check and the officer pointed to my earphones with a disapproving look - I explained that I was using them as earplugs and they weren't plugged into the ipod (which they weren't at the time as it happens), and he was cool.

As for being 'hands free' I think you can set phones to automatically answer after a number of rings can't you? and I understand you can buy a remote control for your ipod that you can velcro to your wrist or bars so that you can mute etc. the ipod without fumbling in your pocket...

I say, rock on!

xxx

Lucati
12-09-2008, 01:42 PM
Cool! Thanks you lot, I probably won't answer it on the go but when I pull over it's a pain in the arse taking my lid off etc.
I have to confess I did go out for a late night Blat with Somersault by Chicane on my i-pod and it added a few HP to the monster but in London it helps to hear whats coming up behind you - ooh eerrr misses!