PDA

View Full Version : Help - how to repair my monster after being knocked off :(

darko
11-09-2008, 06:58 PM
luckily i survived with just bruises and cuts but the monster was not so lucky..

basically a lady pulled out and cut accross the road i was riding along, i tried my best to stop to the extent where the first part of the bike to hit the car was the headlight !

Im trying to find the following to get me back on the road asap :

headlight - i have bought the back bowl and mountings but need the glass and band that goes round to hold that on, i seem to remember a bmw part fits ?

clutch lever

handlebars

front mudguard - may use this as an excuse to buy a carbon one..

gear linkage rod and gear lever at the crankcase

both front indicators

dashboard and warning lights - speedo was ok

if anyone has any bits lying around please let me know

Mand
11-09-2008, 07:24 PM
I can't help you with parts and stuff, sorry mate, but I hope you aren't too bruised up.

Good luck with getting all sorted.

PeterPoddy
11-09-2008, 08:15 PM
basically a lady pulled out and cut accross the road i was riding along, i tried my best to stop to the extent where the first part of the bike to hit the car was the headlight !

Now, excuse me for asking, but if SHE pulled out in front of YOU then it's HER fault, Yes?

As such her insurance will be paying for the damage (Assuming she's insured), you get all nice NEW bits bolted on for free. Job done, and you don't do anything at all and this thread is useless.....

Or is that too obvious?

Albie
11-09-2008, 08:19 PM
luckily i survived with just bruises and cuts but the monster was not so lucky..

Im trying to find the following to get me back on the road asap :

headlight - i have bought the back bowl and mountings but need the glass and band that goes round to hold that on, i seem to remember a bmw part fits ?

clutch lever

handlebars

front mudguard - may use this as an excuse to buy a carbon one..

gear linkage rod and gear lever at the crankcase

both front indicators

dashboard and warning lights - speedo was ok

if anyone has any bits lying around please let me know

I have the gear linkages. and gear lever

gary tompkins
11-09-2008, 08:43 PM
You say it's her fault... assuming she admit's liability, and you have witnesses then her insurance should pay out? I would get the repairs priced on new part's plus labour and pass it on.

Or am I missing the point? :confused:

If you attempt repairs yourself it may compromise any claim

carrot
11-09-2008, 09:03 PM
Hi Darko I have the the old style indicators (pre 98) if you want them, you already know where the office is. I can bring them in if you want. I think i've got a HL unit with a small chip in it but not the bowl and some 2002 bars.

darko
11-09-2008, 09:49 PM
hi guys - thanks for the replies

yes good news is that it is all her fault and she has admitted liability, insurance company have agreed to pay out etc only problem is the bike is my only way of getting to work so i need to get it fixed asap - the train is already killing me !

ill pm everyone who has bits to sort that out with you - thanks again

Stafford
12-09-2008, 01:57 AM
You should be to claim for any expenses above the norm like your train fares etc.

squiffything
12-09-2008, 06:31 AM
possibly a bike hire will be covered by the insurance while you are getting yours sorted. Do not forget that a shunt like that may well have damaged the frame and/or forks which may not be visible at first viewing so get it looked at and have the job done professionally.

Kato
12-09-2008, 08:33 AM
Think I have a dashboard going to look right now........

ladybird
12-09-2008, 08:52 AM

yes good news is that it is all her fault and she has admitted liability, insurance company have agreed to pay out etc only problem is the bike is my only way of getting to work so i need to get it fixed asap - the train is already killing me !

i can sympathise with the train, thing, it's a hellish thing, i had to do it for two weeks while the insurance sorted a bike out for me to ride until mine was fixed.
however they took the hire bike back when they had made the decision on the bike - and then i had to do the train for another month while it was being sorted out (money coming in, parts etc).
fortunately alcohol helps the pain of the crash and the pain of the train home, shame couldn't expense that too

good luck

nambduke
12-09-2008, 09:14 AM
.....therefore you can claim for:

Repairs to your bike using genuine manufacturers parts
Replacement for clothing / helmet damage if there is any
Cost of alternative transport whilst yours is being repaired
Loss of earnings
Personal injuries
Full recovery of any insurance excesses you may have paid out - usually if you have claimed on your insurance and then the 3rd party repays your insurance along with any excess paid. Your legal cover should sort this for you assuming you have this. If you haven't engage a solicitor who will then add his costs to the 3rd party claim.

You should not be out of pocket for this accident if the other party has admitted liability.

GT is right, don't attempt to repair anything otherwise there will be dispute from the other party on what can be paid out by them.

Regards,
Mark Nambduke

kenloen
12-09-2008, 12:08 PM

you should contact your insurance. When I got knocked off I contacted my insurers and after a 20 min phone call to discuss the incident they contacted a Bike loaner company who called me back me almost immediately. I was setup back on the road within 4 hours (even thought I couldnt walk!!). They delivered a new Suzuki Bandit650 (similar cc) and I kept that for 2 months till a check arrived for replacement bike. At this point no-one had admitted liability and I must say I got a lucky result because I was overtaking, the other insurers just cave in and payout quickly because of the mounting hire and legal costs.. Also, beause it was recovered to my home I managed to keep the crash damaged bike and the check was adjusted for salvage value - but this doenst appear on any HPI searches of V5.. This woman will loose her no claims anyhow, you might as well take the offer of the hire bike and legal assistance, you'll be supprised at how quickly these companies move, you could have a new bike by tomorrow morning..

PeterPoddy
12-09-2008, 05:23 PM
.....therefore you can claim for:

Repairs to your bike using genuine manufacturers parts
Replacement for clothing / helmet damage if there is any
Cost of alternative transport whilst yours is being repaired
Loss of earnings
Personal injuries
Full recovery of any insurance excesses you may have paid out - usually if you have claimed on your insurance and then the 3rd party repays your insurance along with any excess paid. Your legal cover should sort this for you assuming you have this. If you haven't engage a solicitor who will then add his costs to the 3rd party claim.

You should not be out of pocket for this accident if the other party has admitted liability.

GT is right, don't attempt to repair anything otherwise there will be dispute from the other party on what can be paid out by them.

Regards,
Mark Nambduke
Well put, and seconded.
Do not touch the bike AT ALL.
Take them for all they have - Hire a bike if you can or a car if not and stick it on the bill.

I really do sympathise with you wanting to ride your bike, but you'll be shooting yourself in the foot if you start messing with the it

This is what we have Legal Cover for on our insurance, to sort out messes like this.

darko
13-09-2008, 10:22 AM
hi guys - thanks again for your replies.

i completely agree with all the advise you have given - to be fair her insurance company have been really good and dealt with everything straight away. They have paid for a new jacket and lid plus the bike repair.

the problem is all the garages are quoting 2 weeks before they can fit me in plus some of the parts are just not available. right now (and i have checked this with the insurance company) i can patch the bike up so that i can use it and they will still honour a full repair at a grage when i can get the work done. I have all this in writing.

my policy does not cover a hire bike and her insurance company can only offer me a hire car which for commuting in london will be more of a headache than the train..

i fully intend to get the bike back to how it was before the crash (very good condition) but for now i dont mind if cosmetically it looks tatty as long as i can ride it