PDA

View Full Version : Comfy grips?

Space Cadet
11-09-2008, 12:26 PM
Can someone recommend a pair of more comfortable grips that would fit my 620.

Thanks.

giler
11-09-2008, 12:48 PM
Pro Grip do the gel grips, I use Renthal medium. They do two lengths so just check yours.

Kato
11-09-2008, 01:03 PM
Pro Grip 723 are what I always use can't be beaten IMOH....

Space Cadet
11-09-2008, 01:15 PM
Thanks, will have a measure up first, I can’t really see the difference between the 723 and 724, it looks like the 724’s are Dual Density?!

scrapps
11-09-2008, 03:59 PM
Better padded gloves ? works for me

Kato
11-09-2008, 06:13 PM
Thanks, will have a measure up first, I can’t really see the difference between the 723 and 724, it looks like the 724’s are Dual Density?!

724 is the same as 723 just in silly colors.......

JMo
11-09-2008, 07:37 PM
Foam grips! (seriously, you can still get them) - they are like holding big marshmallows! Mmmmmmm... yummy!

xxx

Mand
11-09-2008, 07:38 PM
Foam grips! (seriously, you can still get them) - they are like holding big marshmallows! Mmmmmmm... yummy!

xxx

and Jenifer how often do you get to hold big marshmallows? ;)

JMo
11-09-2008, 07:44 PM
and Jenifer how often do you get to hold big marshmallows? ;)

Hee hee - left breasty dumpling or right breasty dumpling?

xxx

Mand
11-09-2008, 07:46 PM
Hee hee - left breasty dumpling or right breasty dumpling?

xxx

har har! I'm liking that!

Space Cadet
12-09-2008, 07:43 AM
I think this one’s gone a bit of subject, but nevertheless entertaining.

Foam grips sound nice, I meant to measure my old grips last night but will do so over the weekend and definitely get some comfier ones as mine feel really uncomfortable.

(xxx for JMo)

scrapps
12-09-2008, 08:22 AM
I think this one’s gone a bit of subject, but nevertheless entertaining.

Foam grips sound nice, I meant to measure my old grips last night but will do so over the weekend and definitely get some comfier ones as mine feel really uncomfortable.

(xxx for JMo)

Mmm foam grips sound cool,but how much feeling and feedback from the bars do you loose? i find feedback thru the bars as to what the front of bike is doing is important ? (maybe thats just me)

JMo
12-09-2008, 09:19 AM
Mmm foam grips sound cool,but how much feeling and feedback from the bars do you loose? i find feedback thru the bars as to what the front of bike is doing is important ? (maybe thats just me)

Being serious for a moment, I would say that on a 'sporting road bike' you might find foam grips a bit disconcerting at first, as you do feel a bit disconnected from the bars/rest of the bike... however, all the desert rallye guys (and girls x) use them, and they certainly lessen fatigue and blisters over long periods...

Personally for a road bike I'd probably go for something like Renthal soft compound grips (although they are only available in light grey - blugh!) so maybe go with Katos recommendation? At the end of the cliche, grips are not the most expensive modification, so you can afford to try a few I guess?

Right, back to the serious subject of boobies!

xxx

Mand
12-09-2008, 09:24 AM

Hmm I agree and I struggle with my Alpinestars winter gloves not just you then Scrappy!

Bosums to you Jen! tee hee!

Space Cadet
12-09-2008, 10:51 AM
I used to be a keen mountain-biker and had foam grips on my top-level bike, not soft spongy foam obviously but some that took a bit of shock out, think they would suit my monster well.

I’m not a knee-scraper yet so I think the comfort will outweigh the % reduction in ‘feeling’.

crust
12-09-2008, 04:58 PM
I had foam grips on my 996, loved them

really didn't notice any great loss of feel from the front, just a lot less vibes and a more comfortable ride

there'll be a set going on the suzuki soon

mmm boobies or big marshmallows, big marshmallows or boobies, it a toughie

can you have both? could be confusing, be painfull if you chomped on the wrong one

:)crust

Space Cadet
14-09-2008, 11:20 AM
I tried a few bike shops over the weekend and couldn’t find any foam grips so will order some over t'net this week. Had a look at a few 'normal' grips though that were meant to be comfy ones but they didn’t seem much different to standard, therefore will definitely get some foam ones.

I had a measure up and my grips are 125mm x 25mm, the one on the throttle side has to fit around the throttle plastic tube, are the grips slightly different diameters for the different sides?

Also the grip on the throttle side has ‘flanges’ cut into it to fit around the corresponding flanges on the plastic tube, are all grips like this?, otherwise an aftermarket grip wouldn’t fit – would it??

Thanks.

NewMon
18-09-2008, 09:20 PM
Hi Space. I got some Pro Grip 723s (or 4s) a few weeks ago. They are cheap (cheapest thing I have ever bought from JHP Cov), look surprisingly good and are black and red! This link shows them in yellow: http://www.busters-accessories.co.uk/productInfo.aspx?catRef=PG724BKGY. The thing is, they have transformed the comfort from the stock grips. I used to get numb fingers from the vibes and these have eliminated that completely. There is another thread on how to fit them - I had to ask. Involves WD40 and hairspray.

I forgot to mention. Mine is a 600 (the new look forum has lost the bike type on the left there). They will fit almost any monster I believe.

Nickj
18-09-2008, 10:36 PM
I always had foam grips on my enduro bikes and most of my road bikes. There were great on the KTMs. LCs and everything else. Never noticed a huge difference between thin rubber 'normal' types other than less blisters and no numb fingers, might be the history of off road racing.. read the ground and ride it, take the hit and don't stop..

Space Cadet
19-09-2008, 07:49 AM
Have bought some foam grips, will fit them over the weekend.