PDA

View Full Version : Computer Mac OS / Windoze question

marchesini
10-09-2008, 10:12 PM
I'm using a mac and trying to browse the nokia music store but it doesn't support the mac os. Is there any way of fooling so it thinks i'm browsing from a pc?

I think a few years back, someone pointed me in the direction of Opera where you could set it as a PC browser or something but I've downloaded it and can't see to find anything that does it.

Need something I can sort quickly that doesn't cost anything. Don't want to use boot camp either.

Any ideas?

Cheers

russ77
11-09-2008, 12:01 AM
Have you tried Firefox? Whenever Safari doesn't load a page properly, I use Firefox. If I could deal with the interface, I'd use it all the time.

The other reason might be that Nokia have that digital rights management nonsense on their files. In that case, there are utilities you can download on the net (apparently) to remove it form the files you download on a PC.

I got Bootcamp working on my Macbook, purely for using BBC iPlayer and Channel 4 online. I've used it three time so far. It makes me smile though.

yantheman
11-09-2008, 12:11 AM
Hi,

I tried the agent switcher in Firefox and changed my FF to IE7, I could go into the site but none of the clip previews worked. I guess it is due to ActiveX... You will never be able to run websites build with ActiveX specific functions in any Mac browsers unfortunately. It is called embrace and extend...

If you just want to see the site, agent switcher for FF is here:

https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/59

Looks like the only way is either via bootcamp, or Parallel/VMware and run Windoz on your Mac

slob
11-09-2008, 05:51 AM
http://mac.oldapps.com/internet_explorer.php

Nickj
11-09-2008, 10:56 PM
Tongue in cheek

..... it could be said that you have to expect this using a minority platform, however MAC users in the UK are about 10% at the moment (BBC site hit figures). So not such a minority really.

..... it could be said that you have to expect this using a minority web browser platform, still 10% is 10%.

..... it could be said that Safari ought to comply fully to standards, but which web browser does , ummmm none really.

What really should be said is that Microsoft need a good ass kicking, stop using heavily proprietry functions and make their sucky browser engine standards compliant.

Till then don't moan cos you're using a minority puter system :eek:

Blah blah
12-09-2008, 06:39 PM
...some waffle about computors...:eek:

There are plenty of other mac users on here, (well, me anyway), and as for Marchsini's original question, dunno, I use firefox cos safari stopped working everywhere. I will however ask the brother-in-law who knows about this sort of thing and see what he says.

If he says more than 'pardon?' I'll let you know !!

Funkatronic
12-09-2008, 09:09 PM
Im a cross platform IT tech in the music/tv biz by trade

Im afraid nokia are teamed with Micro$oft for the delivery of their content so this does not work with mac at all

also nokia are not really interested in supporting their main rival in the music downloads market so don't expect them to add mac support anytime soon

if you have to use the nokia software with your mac the only way is to install windows either via bootcamp or vmware/parallels desktop

hope this helps

ali

Nickj
12-09-2008, 11:58 PM
Get an old old PC with 2K or XP and use that.
I've got an old lappy with a dodgy keyboard I was given that'll creak along with XP that I was going to strip and sell off as parts.
Cover the post or fill your tank and come get it then you can use the Nokia software and transfer the tracks on a usb stick.

Funkatronic
13-09-2008, 12:09 AM
that might not work if the files are protected by a Micro$oft windows media DRM as these file cannot be played on the mac without some means of re-recording or using a crack of some sort to remove the DRM

welcome to the bull**** that is digital copyright protection

ho hum

Nickj
13-09-2008, 12:09 PM
DRM can be circumvented very easily post download, or you can set up swindles XP etc so that it is stripped/nullified/circumvented as soon as the content loads.

so I'm told... allegedly... not that I would ever consider doing that kind of thing

ladybird
13-09-2008, 01:03 PM
http://mac.oldapps.com/internet_explorer.php

dang, all the IE links don't seem to want to work with leopard

Nickj
13-09-2008, 01:38 PM
Pressing the wrong spots perhaps??