PDA

View Full Version : Suicide Stand Question - Help?

Paranoid Dave
10-09-2008, 05:48 PM
Hi all, the sidestand on the early 600 is a suicide stand. The previous owner has ground the bolt off so it no longer flips up when the bike is stood up, problem is I want to remove it now.

The ball like bit at the top of the stand where the bolt goes through is either a curved washer with a bolt through it, or a bolt with a really wide curved flange. Can someone tell me which one?

i can probably get it off with a bit of work (fingers crossed) but the question is do I need to order some new bits or once i get it off do i just need a new bolt?

Thanks

CK & AK
10-09-2008, 06:16 PM
ask Crust - he has one on his M900 Dave :)

Shandy
10-09-2008, 06:18 PM
Its a bolt with a gurt big flange.....oooo errr missus!

A pair of big mole type grips will get it out, worked on mine!

Cheers,

Shandy

Half Man Half Mole
10-09-2008, 06:25 PM
Mole grips :eek:

Mike

Paranoid Dave
10-09-2008, 07:04 PM
Shandy, this one's been ground flat, theres no hole for allen key and nothing to grip. I'll have to drill and tap the bugger out.

Shandy
10-09-2008, 07:10 PM
Shandy, this one's been ground flat, theres no hole for allen key and nothing to grip. I'll have to drill and tap the bugger out.

Try gripping the outside of the flange\big disc with big grips and undoing it that way, mine was the same with allen bolt cut right off and this worked for me!

Pedro
10-09-2008, 09:18 PM
Drill a small hole in the flange then use a centre punch to tap it around and undone

Paranoid Dave
11-09-2008, 01:07 PM
that was my plan pedro, as the bolt in the middle is useless i might grind a screwdriver slit in that and work that a bit too. Will play tomorrow when my new bike lift arrives :D

gary tompkins
11-09-2008, 08:54 PM
Its a bolt with a gurt big flange.....oooo errr missus!

A pair of big mole type grips will get it out, worked on mine!

Cheers,

Shandy

Flange is a great word

Another is Gusset... never fails to raise a titter in the drawing office :thumbsup:

Pedro
11-09-2008, 11:17 PM
crevice....

fnarr fnarr....

pegboy
11-09-2008, 11:54 PM
You could drill the centre bit out, large enough to remove the large flange /disc head, (remove the bolt next to it and size it up) then remove the foot rest bracket completely and the remaining bolt shaft should be enough to get some vice grips/locking pliers on there to remove the remaining bolt.

People like to remove the head of the bolt as the bikes a prone to topple?? Hasn't happen to me yet?? Fingers crossed.

Good Luck, i have recently spent many hours repairing broken/seized bolt, great fun.

NewMon
12-09-2008, 08:39 AM
Moist.

I'll get me coat.

gary tompkins
12-09-2008, 12:04 PM
Back on topic....

You could tack weld a nut on what's left of the bolt and wind it out?

Back off topic...

nipples (for grease)