PDA

View Full Version : Is a Ducati really for me?

mac10
10-09-2008, 10:07 AM
Hi all. Some of you might have read my story in the new members bit but if you didn't let me tell you. After an accident at work I have been left with a badly damaged wrist which I am due to have an operation on. I currently ride a 2005 R1 which I love but can't ride for too long and it's a bit extreme as an all weather bike!
So my dilema is do I
1: Chop my beloved bike in and get a newer more comfortable bike.
2: Keep my R1 and buy another bike for all round riding. Something like a GSX 1400, CB1300, or VFR800.
3: Keep my R1 for sunny Sundays and by my mates 2005 Monster S4R with all the carbon bits and the termis and chip. Its only done 1000 miles and he wants £4500.
I would like a bike that is a great all rounder, good for a pillion and not an old mans bike like a Pan euro or BMW!
Any advise would be great! Thanks

gremlin
10-09-2008, 10:40 AM
You seriously think you'll get an unbiased opinion? I think you'll find the S4 fun, I'm sure the owners of said bike will be on to tell you how wonderful they are. The riding position will be better for wrists you'll be quicker round corners but will lose a bit on top speed, but if you're not a 120mph min everywhere type of rider that won't be an issue. Personally I go for the last option you'd have fairly comfortable every day use but when you want to really hooley you've got the R1, chances are the R1 will stay in the garage though. Even my old M600 gives a Fazer thou a run for it's money on corners and the Fazer is the 163bhp one, tother half comes back with a grin every time he plays on mine.

JerryXt
10-09-2008, 10:56 AM
S4R is nice, particularly if it's been looked after properly. I think this question depends on where you live to a large extent. Sportsbikes make no sense where I live and I have the S4Rs for fun and a KTM 950SM for pillion and every day/bad weather. Both are great on the twisties and have enough power to keep up with fast stuff when I can be bothered. I keep a sportsbike for track use and that's where they make sense for me.

If it's mostly for fun, the S4R will do nicely.

alreadyinuse
10-09-2008, 11:03 AM
Wouldnt have thougjt a big heavy bike like a gsx1400 or a cb1300 would do your wrist much good.
The S4R will handle waaay beter than all of the above and its lighter. and more refined.
I fond the gsx1400 a bit brutal it has no finese

fatbloke
10-09-2008, 12:47 PM
Maybe try a Multistrada you would sit in a more upright keeping the weight on your wrist to a minimum.

giler
10-09-2008, 01:42 PM
Maybe try a Multistrada you would sit in a more upright keeping the weight on your wrist to a minimum.

Not very pretty though are they (right helmet on & sit under desk awaiting response:twak:)!!

Scootaboy
10-09-2008, 02:05 PM
get a maxi scoot people are always raving on about them on here :)

MilesB
10-09-2008, 02:15 PM
I would like a bike that is a great all rounder, good for a pillion and not an old mans bike like a Pan euro or BMW!
Any advise would be great! Thanks
As has been said before, there is a reason why Monsters come with cowls to cover the pillion perch - they are essentially solo bikes. You can take a pillion, but I'd check with the pillion in question first - as a minimum you'd need to investin a better saddle.

Miles

fatbloke
10-09-2008, 02:19 PM
Not very pretty though are they (right helmet on & sit under desk awaiting response:twak:)!!

cant argue with that.
it is ugly but very comfy, quick, handles like a bike should and kind to wrist's

mac10
10-09-2008, 03:25 PM
As has been said before, there is a reason why Monsters come with cowls to cover the pillion perch - they are essentially solo bikes. You can take a pillion, but I'd check with the pillion in question first - as a minimum you'd need to investin a better saddle.

Miles

Would probably be better then my R1 though!!:chuckle:

neilbaldry
10-09-2008, 06:08 PM
thought about an S2R800? probs a better alrounder that the desmoquattro bikes.........