PDA

View Full Version : Soooo, Steering dampers, talk to me

Phatty
06-09-2008, 07:37 PM
Well, I finally worked out why my S4 has been shaking it's head like a rabid bulldog, the preload adjusters were wound in as far as they go....but I've still got my head into the idea that I need a steering damper (I'm not going through that tank slapper episode again).

I've seen a few Ohlins ones, around the £285 mark, but all side mounted. I'm not too keen on the idea of one of those, can you even adjust them on the move?

I've also seen a Sprint one, but again, side mounted. My mate ahd a sprint one on his Bandit, but he had it with the adjuster pointing back over, and every time I looked at it all i could think of was (that's going straight through your thigh in a crash).

The only transverse mounted one i've seen is the Ducati Performance one, which I've just been quoted £400 for....

Now, I am still considering the S4R handle bar conversion, but can't afford to do both just yet as that's another £280, and I might just upgrade to an S4R or S4RS in a couple of years anyway....BUT, I'd like to buy a damper now that I wouldn't have to change if i went for the S4R bars.

So, is the Ducati Performance damper the same on the S4 and the S4R? or would I have to just go for the S4R one and do the bars at the same time? or sod it and go for the ohlins side mount and do the bars whenever/never.

What have you got on yours....

gary tompkins
06-09-2008, 07:55 PM
Spend some money on setting the suspension up properly

You may find a damper isn't needed?

NattyBoy
06-09-2008, 08:55 PM
The carbon transverse FG racing/Ducati performance one works well (the ohlines side mounted one looks a bit naff I think). I cant speak for the S4 but on the roads I ride then my S4R definetley needed one !

If your are adamant you want to go for the S4R magura bar conversion (which is wise IMO) then wait and get the transverse mounted damper (the S4/S4R kist are different) to match when you are ready give me a shout and I should be able to get ome cheaper for you !

Cheers
Nat

Phatty
06-09-2008, 08:58 PM
i've not ridden it today, since i changed the front pre-load so it might be loads better (it has to be). I checked all the other settings and they were factory.

Phatty
06-09-2008, 08:59 PM
when you are ready give me a shout and I should be able to get ome cheaper for you !

Cheers
Nat

really!? for the damper or the s4r bars? that would be great if you can get me some prices please.

gary tompkins
06-09-2008, 10:55 PM
i've not ridden it today, since i changed the front pre-load so it might be loads better (it has to be). I checked all the other settings and they were factory.

Factory settings are exactly that - a base setting to work from

Standard settings may not suit an individuals weight or riding style. A qualified technician will set static sag & damping, then fine tune it to get it exactly as you want it. UKMOC had a suspension clinic at DWR M/C's a few years ago, where owners were shocked to discover how badly thier bikes were set up, and how well they handled after Dave fettled them.

Many owners throw cash at upgrades and bolt-ons, without finding out where the problem really lies. Sometimes it's as basic as incorrect tyre pressures, worn head bearings or knackered suspension.

jerry
07-09-2008, 05:10 AM
S4 factory settings are way too hard for road riding but the front forks need reworking , reduce preload and compression to start .I want my S4 revalved somewhere.

Phatty
07-09-2008, 09:29 AM
I always suspected the front was too hard, as i was getting pains in my wrists, could barely ride at night due to the headlight bouncing about like a strobe and then the head shake problem. It might have gone away now but i still want a damper ASAP as i never want to experience that feeling again.

faulkss
07-09-2008, 09:41 AM
Matris M3 steering dampers! Only way to go ... if you have the coin to get them that is :)

Had one on an old bike and they kick arse!

edit:

Just found a pic on one

http://departmentofsuspension.com/monsterS2R.jpg

Albie
07-09-2008, 02:12 PM
Yes you can adjust the side ones on the move. I may switch to a top one as I have had bar conversion. Natty pm how much savings.