PDA

View Full Version : I've finally ridden it!

Seb_uk
06-09-2008, 10:44 AM
I took my 695 down to parkinson's in colchester today as my rear brake appears to be binding. Whilst I was there I thought I'd see if I could take out a 696 while they were fixing mine.

I have to say over all I'm impressed - very willing engine, superb handling and a very nice exhaust note (standard cans) complete with almost termi like popping when rolling off the throttle.

The bike is deceptively quick - thought I was doing 60ish & when I looked down it was closer to 90....ahem!!

In comparison to my 695 it definately feels more nimble through the bends. Is hard to tell if it's any quicker - definately not much in it either way. The fact that you can't see the front wheel whilst sitting on the bike is a bit unerving at first, but you soon get used to it. The riding position is a little strange - a$$ in the air and leaning forward, almost sports bike like I guess. The only major issue I had was the seat - it's bloody terrible. My 695 gives you "numb bum" syndrome after 100 miles or so, but the 696 did it in about 10 minutes! Very hard & uncomfortable. I also had an issue with one of my, erm, "man parts" knocking against the tank! :eyepopping: Needless to say that was a bit unpleasant. Ouch.

Overall though, the 696 is a very good bike. The 695 is a prettier - I still think the 696's exhausts don't look right, and I'm not sure about the headlight, but I do like the bike as a whole.

Would I get rid of my 695 for one? No, probably not, but the 696 is very good - certainly a very capable and fun bike.

damon
06-09-2008, 10:59 AM
are you quite tall?

Seb_uk
06-09-2008, 11:00 AM
Not especially - about 6 feet I guess.

Snips
06-09-2008, 11:04 AM

I'm very comfortable on my 696, but I do get a crick in my neck talking to Sebuk - I'm 5" 6' (rounding up).

;)

damon
06-09-2008, 11:11 AM

im 6ft 3 and found the 696 way too small, seats to low and i got exactly what you did by bashing my plums against the tank every two minutes.

makes you feel very upright, hope to god they increase the size on the bigger engined version they have planned or ill be sticking with the classic style.

Arbeia
07-09-2008, 02:26 PM
of course its quicker than the 695! 1extra cc and lighter.

gasman78
07-09-2008, 02:56 PM
Interesting to hear other opinions on the 696. I fell in love with it at first sight (NEC) and am still absolutely happy now that I own one. Having not owned a ducati before I had no 'frame of reference' so the new looks weren't an issue. I read a lot of the forum chat, and a lot of long term owners of older bikes were scathing to say the least! Fair dos etc. The same story is played out on virually every other bike forum on the web when a new model comes out, especially from such a strong brand. However, I guess the fact is that 'old' bikes don't keep a big company like Ducati in business. To my untrained eye, the older models were beginning to look a bit 'dated' (but i realise this is what some folk want) and the update was exactly what was needed to snare me. It is now the best selling bike in Italy so they must have got something right!
As for the riding position, it did take some getting used to but i now manage not to squash the nuts too badly, and loose underwear definitely helps to reduce the numb bum (due to clothes pulling tight over the buttocks in the squat position)! However, for a 'town' bike, the lean forward makes it heavy on the arms - much better out of town.

walpole68
07-09-2008, 02:57 PM
First time i rode mine,seat felt hard,nads got squished,and a lot of weight on my wrists,but now i find it really comfortable,can ride for a couple of hours no problem at all.The more miles i do the better it gets as well.100% happy now.

Seb_uk
08-09-2008, 11:11 AM
I forgot to mention how good the gearbox and brakes are too - very impressed.

Regarding the size of the 696 - when I picked my 695 up from Parkinsons on Saturday I certainly noticed the difference. My bike feels more comfortable - the 696 is a bit cramped in comparison. I hope they do address this when they release the 1100 version. I have a feeling the 1100 will be a bit bigger in the same way that an S4R is bigger than a 695. We shall have to wait and see I guess....

alreadyinuse
08-09-2008, 11:34 AM
I forgot to mention how good the gearbox and brakes are too - very impressed.

Regarding the size of the 696 - when I picked my 695 up from Parkinsons on Saturday I certainly noticed the difference. My bike feels more comfortable - the 696 is a bit cramped in comparison. I hope they do address this when they release the 1100 version. I have a feeling the 1100 will be a bit bigger in the same way that an S4R is bigger than a 695. We shall have to wait and see I guess....

hope they dont mess with it too much or short arse like me wont be able to touch the ground. ;)

JerryXt
08-09-2008, 12:25 PM
Interesting to hear other opinions on the 696...

and a lot of long term owners of older bikes were scathing to say the least! Fair dos etc. The same story is played out on virually every other bike forum on the web when a new model comes out, especially from such a strong brand. However, I guess the fact is that 'old' bikes don't keep a big company like Ducati in business. To my untrained eye, the older models were beginning to look a bit 'dated' (but i realise this is what some folk want) and the update was exactly what was needed to snare me. It is now the best selling bike in Italy so they must have got something right!

completely agree - the monnie hadn't had a serious update in over 10 years and they had to do something new to get new customers in.

Still not a stunner to me, but it's growing on me.