05-09-2008, 03:18 PM
as the name sugests what can be done / cant be done

was going to

Powder coat - wheels, frame, rearsets, yokes, bars

paint - tank, swing arm, engine

anything else to do or any other ideas?

gary tompkins
05-09-2008, 03:30 PM
Almost anything with exception of plastic items. Preperation makes all the diference to both powder coat & paint. Grit/bead blasting & heat used to bake powder coat on can damage parts (bearings etc..), so it's best to get advice from finishers on what's safe.

Remember to mask off bearing seats & threaded holes. Powder coat is a bitch to remove afterwards and you'll get problems with frame earths.

Some manufacturers don't recommend powder coat on mag/alloy race wheels

Paranoid Dave
05-09-2008, 03:31 PM
Powdering top yoke is a yes, bottom yoke would need the bearing off which means a ten ton press and heating the yoke, then doing it in reverse after powder which would knacker the powder.. don't even go there. Polish the bottom or paint it.
I'm looking at getting fork bottoms powdered, last year i had my calipers powdered in black.

mad_turnips
05-09-2008, 03:33 PM
what sort of price ive been quoted £25 a wheel and as for the rest iv got to show him evry thing and "we will find you a price im happy with and your happy with" which sound good

Pedro
05-09-2008, 04:51 PM
I hope you're not using Plasticoat in Gosport for the powder coating, steer well clear if you are as they're muppets, took them three goes to do a wheel for me and it still had grit in the finished powder.

Try Trestan Finishers in Southampton 02380 433081. They do a great job

mad_turnips
05-09-2008, 05:35 PM
http://kandnfinishers-px.rtrk.co.uk/about_us.html these were the guys i talked

Capo
05-09-2008, 05:46 PM
I would recommend that you use a coater who is experienced in coating motorcycle parts.
http://www.aerocoat.net/

slippery
22-09-2008, 08:26 PM
Hi I've been very please with Tristans in Southampton as well. Did my wheels, forks and engine covers on my Honda and even blasted and heat painted the exhaust. All for £100. Well pleased. I was recommended to remove all bearings as the temperature of the oven melts the grease which can drop into the powder. If you get the parts sand blasted the you will no doubt get the bearing full of grit anyway.

Cheers

Dave G
22-09-2008, 08:35 PM
I did my headlight chrome ring and U-bracket and alloy headlight mount a lovely black.:thumbsup:

Shandy
23-09-2008, 07:57 AM
as the name sugests what can be done / cant be done

was going to

Powder coat - wheels, frame, rearsets, yokes, bars

paint - tank, swing arm, engine

anything else to do or any other ideas?

Maybe powder coat the swing arm unless your colour matching with the tank. And powder coat foot rest hangers, rear brake bracket, sidestand etc etc, pretty much any random bit of metal you can find!!! I'm still not convinced on powder coated frames personally i prefer painted.

When i did mine i had the yokes, fork bottoms and engine side casing all painted black by a grown up so they turned out properly and matched the powder coating.

I will second that place Ped recomended for powder coating down in southampton ;)

Cheers,

Shandy