PDA

View Full Version : M750 - good first big bike?

sheepshearer
03-09-2008, 06:24 PM
rode 125s years ago and thought i'd get my full bike licence this summer (was there one?) before the test changes. so well and truly bitten by the bug again and it's time to fill a space in the garage!

as it's in my budget, i'm seriously considering an M750 as my first bigger bike.

i love the look. love it. but at 6 foot, am i going to be too tall? will i look dorky?

i'm 12+ stone - ok 13 :) - will i be wishing for a 900 instead or will i kill myself on one of them?

first post - vanity, ignorance and trepidation in equal measure - would appreciate your opinions

DavidEJM
03-09-2008, 07:16 PM
After 15+ years of non bike ownership I took the plunge and bought an 800ie 2 years ago and I think it is nearly perfect.

Since you've just been taking training, in theory you should be safer than I was!!!

Though I'm only 5'8", there are plenty on here that are a lot taller than me and even more portly (hardly seems possible) and they look fine on their monsters. So I'd say, if you're tempted, just go for it. You won't look back..............well apart from when you're supposed to!

BluprintZ
03-09-2008, 07:35 PM
i'm 12+ stone - ok 13 :) - will i be wishing for a 900 instead or will i kill myself on one of them?

I also had a ten year break from the scene, to get my business up and running.
Although i'de had lots of bikes over the previous years, it still took a little while to get up to speed (sic) after i bought mine in April, the Monsters have a character all of their own.
Go on, get a 900, as they say "there's no substitute for CC's".
The bike will only go as fast as you want it to, the throttle works both ways.
Welcome.

George.

JimmyF
03-09-2008, 07:45 PM
yep, go for the 900, I don't think it's got much more power than the 750 anyway, and you won't have any problems with it.

there are plenty of six footer monster owners on the forum and although it's a small bike I don't think you will look too tall

At 6'3 though, I do find the riding position quite uncomfortable, especially because of the small distance between the pegs and the seat. I sometimes resort to putting my feet on the rear footrests to combat the cramp, which probably isn't very safe

Blah blah
03-09-2008, 09:12 PM
the 750's a good choice (and yes, I'm a bit biased)... they're quick enough for the real world, and the wet clutch is lighter than the 900's dry one

BluprintZ
03-09-2008, 09:17 PM
the wet clutch is lighter than the 900's dry one

...but not as nice looking as with a vented cover!

sheepshearer
03-09-2008, 09:39 PM
cheers fellas. these have caught my eye...

this on ebay (http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=150289937501)

dunno what his reserve is - and this...

on MCN (http://www.motorcyclenews.com/MCN/bikesforsale/searchresults/detail/?R=NXGN-7512957)

neither too shabby :)

BluprintZ
03-09-2008, 09:56 PM
cheers fellas. these have caught my eye...

Both nice looking bikes, same year as mine but a touch less milage than what mine had when i bought it off autotrader (10,000k).
I gave £2,000. for mine in April, inexcellent nick, so if any of those go much over that, carry on looking.
It's nearly winter, so you should get a good bike for the right money, then you can spend winter tarting it up, ready for next spring.
Don't be impatient, have a good look around.

gary tompkins
03-09-2008, 10:18 PM
The later injected bikes are normally more reliable. They run better in cold conditions, and the electrics & build quality better IMO. Depends what your budget is really but if you wait a few months prices will drop.

Hope you find a nice bike ASAP

sheepshearer
10-09-2008, 07:41 PM
woot and indeed yay! struck a deal and got the silver 750 on the MCN ad. very clean bike. 7k miles so will need belts asap. replaced a super-short side stand, bunged on the noisy cans that came with it and spent 20 mins tap tap tapping the preload adjuster to jack the bike up after its previous short arsed owner. there has to be a more elegant tool that a screwdriver and a hammer for doing that, right?

jerry
10-09-2008, 08:42 PM
I have a M750 and an S4 and owned a M900 , the 750 monster is a really well balanced bike ,
go for it I love mine.

retskcid
11-09-2008, 07:17 AM
Well done, I'd like a 750.

NattyBoy
11-09-2008, 07:38 AM
Nice one mate..that silver M750 looks proper and youve got something thats a bit different not than many 750's knocking around.

Youve also bought an original 'old skool' style monster and thats gotta be a good thing :>)