PDA

View Full Version : Loud Cans Save Lives...Fact.

J.P
02-09-2008, 12:29 PM
I've been riding to work this week and at lunchtimes have had to pop home to let my dog out (don't ask). I don't usually ride to work because it's more complicated than my normal train journey and it's difficult to read my BlackBerry on the way in on the bike.
So, lunchtimes around Liverpool Street are jammed full of people on their food runs & errands, and lots of them are in a world of their own when it comes to crossing the road before looking.

And that's where my very LOUD cans come into play. It's like parting the Red Sea and has definitely saved a handful of people from 200 kg's of Red Ducati, just today.
So when someone tells you to change your cans for loud ones, don't just think it's for looks, remember, 'Loud Cans Save Lives'. :mand:

Pedro
02-09-2008, 12:31 PM
Couldn't agree more

Mand
02-09-2008, 12:32 PM
Just make sure YOU wear ear plugs.... :)

J.P
02-09-2008, 12:35 PM
Just make sure YOU wear ear plugs.... :)

I always do Mand, when I'm listening to the wife...

Mand
02-09-2008, 12:37 PM
I always do Mand, when I'm listening to the wife...

and I do when my daughter comes in moaning about her boyfriend.....
:chuckle:

J.P
02-09-2008, 12:40 PM
No Mand, can't be your daughter, it must be your sister, surely you're not old enough.

Mand
02-09-2008, 12:42 PM
No Mand, can't be your daughter, it must be your sister, surely you're not old enough.

Oh shut up! :mand:

After listening to five minutes of moaning from that one, you can visibly see the grey hairs appearing....

mikej
02-09-2008, 12:46 PM
Defintely VERY right about the cans, a little blip of the throttle is all thats needed, have also found it helps a lot with filtering in the city.

A black visor also seems to make people much more accomodating, and apologetic if they cut you up. Pull up next to them and do a very slow head turn towards them, some people absolutely cack it. Childish i know, but fun!

Headhunter
02-09-2008, 12:57 PM
Yep, it's that handlebar and tank you've got a watch J.P.

It's the ones that walk out in between filtering traffic that annoy me. Friday after work is also one of the worst times.

Mand
02-09-2008, 01:01 PM
Yep, it's that handlebar and tank you've got a watch J.P.

It's the ones that walk out in between filtering traffic that annoy me. Friday after work is also one of the worst times.

You'll be leaving all that soon. :)

I really don't know how you London bikers can ride through all of that, I hate riding my monster through Leicester traffic and that isn't a patch on what you have to suffer.

That's why I've taken to the pushbike and cycle path on the Great Central Way, you don't have to stop for anybody! Except horses maybe.... :mand:

alreadyinuse
02-09-2008, 01:08 PM
Its really funny when cars and people pull out or walk out onfront of you or are about to and you give the throttle sharp twist.
people change direction really quickly. I've seen papers and mobiles and shopping go flying.
Its good when filtering and dozey car peeps have their windows open too.

Headhunter
02-09-2008, 01:25 PM
May sound weird but I really enjoy it minus the jwalkers, Mand.

Can only compare it to a computer game where you're constantly dodging things. Can be a blast at times. Appreciate it's not exactly the safest.

ladybird
02-09-2008, 01:40 PM
the best ones are when they aren't paying attention to if it's safe to walk or not and you knock into gear and they start running, despite it being green for them to walk :)
the worst are the ones who can't decide to walk or not and then decide the best time is just after the man changes to red

JerryXt
02-09-2008, 02:45 PM
I agree that loud pipes are safer for everyone (and I think that the Police see that too), but it's really funny to see people jump in a perfect vertical hop when they're crossing on a red and you blip the throttle :D

Sat next to a PcP in traffic the other day. No space at the front of the queue except right next to the guy. He wound down his window and was grinning from ear to ear looking over Lucrezia. Had a Blackbird but loved Monsters :D

slob
02-09-2008, 02:49 PM
It's the ones that walk out in between filtering traffic...

With the tell-tale little white headphones. Lemmings!

Headhunter
02-09-2008, 02:53 PM
Like lambs to the slaughter.

kathb
02-09-2008, 04:27 PM
It was great when my partner had his 996 with race cans on - I always knew when to put the kettle on as I usually heard the bike about 5 mins before he got home!

Headhunter
02-09-2008, 04:35 PM
It was great when my partner had his 996 with race cans on - I always knew when to put the kettle on as I usually heard the bike about 5 mins before he got home!

Ha ha. That's what my mum does every time I go back to see the olds.

Paivi
02-09-2008, 07:01 PM
I ride two quiet bikes, so I wonder how come all pedestrians around me are still alive. Must be pure luck, so no doubt I'll run some over soon.

Blipping the trottle instead of using the horn is, in my opinion, immature and unnecessarily aggressive and doesn't help the general image of us bikers.

Nickj
02-09-2008, 07:18 PM
Blipping the trottle instead of using the horn is, in my opinion, immature and unnecessarily aggressive and doesn't help the general image of us bikers.

It's also quite legal and not subject to a £30 fixed penalty notice for 'sounding your horn while stationary' - an offence contrary to the Highway Code.

Use of the horn while stationary, at night in a residential area, or in an aggressive manner is against the Highway Code.

It says motorists should beep their horns only "while your vehicle is moving and you need to warn other road users of your presence".

The horn should not be used while stationary on the road or when driving in a built-up area between 11.30pm and 7am "except when another vehicle poses a danger".

Although breaching the code is not a criminal offence, many of its guidelines refer to legal requirements, and the instructions on using the horn is one of them.

Improper use of the horn is contrary to regulation 99 (1) of the Road Vehicles (Construction and Use) Regulations 1986, section 42 of the Road Traffic Act 1988 and Schedule 2 to the Road Traffic Offenders Act 1988'.

For what he judges to be improper use, a police officer can issue a motorist caught breaking the law with a £30 fixed penalty notice.

Drivers can challenge the decision at court, but if magistrates agree with the police they can increase the fine to up to £1,000.

I'll stick with the loud cans myself

Scott1
02-09-2008, 07:51 PM
This is spot on, my ride through the Blackwall tunnel approach everyday and back has me made feel a bit Moses like since I added some volume, sometimes other bikes just pull in and let you through as well. A bit embarrasing really but I can live with it.

gremlin
02-09-2008, 08:20 PM
mine gets heads turning even with standard cans, but it's not a patch on watching people dive for cover when Clive hits the kill switch. I couldn't cope with the Blue Flames I used to have and they upset Clive when behind and gave him a headache, definately earplug material.

J.P
03-09-2008, 08:16 AM

I've got bigger image problems than a blip of the throttle is going to cause, so I'll carry on the same way for now thanks.

retskcid
03-09-2008, 11:39 AM
I agree, loud cans (used non-agressively) are definitely safer in city traffic. If you can ride/drive in London you can do it anywhere.

Mr Cake
14-09-2008, 07:18 PM
'Loud Cans Save Lives'

That may be true. But they're so #@+%ing annoying!!!!

Scootaboy
14-09-2008, 08:07 PM
and there's me thinking the standard cans on my monster were loud?!? :)

overly loud cans really annoy me too but each to their own (unless you happen to be a neighbour who likes to start and warm up their bike before I get up in the morning :Furious:)

Bueller77
15-09-2008, 09:53 AM
I find that strapping a ghetto blaster to the front of my bike playing 'Ride of the Valkyries' does the job just fine!

Scootaboy
15-09-2008, 10:35 AM
I find that strapping a ghetto blaster to the front of my bike playing 'Ride of the Valkyries' does the job just fine!

now thats something I'd like to see :)

Lucati
15-09-2008, 10:41 AM
I agree that loud pipes are safer for everyone (and I think that the Police see that too), but it's really funny to see people jump in a perfect vertical hop when they're crossing on a red and you blip the throttle :D

Sat next to a PcP in traffic the other day. No space at the front of the queue except right next to the guy. He wound down his window and was grinning from ear to ear looking over Lucrezia. Had a Blackbird but loved Monsters :D

So Jerry,

Was that you in Clapham last Friday that pulled up next to me and then wheelied off at the lights?? Heard you coming a mile off but a little dissapointed that my little 696 did'nt even qualify for a nod! Nice wheelie though and the cans are awesome! If it was'nt you, anyone know who rides a white S4rs in south london - fantastic looking/sounding motor!