PDA

View Full Version : Quick oil change question

steeevvvooo
01-09-2008, 11:39 AM
I'm trying to change my oils this afternoon, and have been reading the various posts about strap wrenches etc.

I didn't get any washers with my oil filter. I need a crush washer (for the drain plug?) and a washer for the strainer right? Is that a regular rubber washer? What size do I need for each? :confused:

Need to pop to halfords later to see what I can pick up, so any help would be great!

(p.s. what size allen / star key do you need to remove the drain plug? I had a quick look, buy looks pretty big?!) :eek:

Rockhopper
01-09-2008, 12:06 PM
They are both aluminium washers, doubt halfords will have them. Pence from a Ducati dealer - get them to post them out to you.

Stuart42
01-09-2008, 12:06 PM
Hi Steve

the washers you require are metal not rubber, if its the same a sa M750.

To be honest I've always just cleaned the ones up that I've taken off, if Craig doesn't remind me when I buy a new filter.

The allen key I'm sure is a 10mm one.

Have fun this afternoon.

Cheers
Stuart

gary tompkins
01-09-2008, 05:18 PM
Remember to use a torque wrench for the sump bolt. It's easy to overtighten them and damage threads, or make them near impossible to get undone in future.

steeevvvooo
01-09-2008, 05:37 PM
Ok, managed to get the change done, but re-used the washers and tightened the bolt by hand! Hope my excitement to get it done won't cost me in the future... :worried:

Had a productive afternoon. oil and filter change, fresh brake fluid front and rear, spark plugs and a K+N filter. Only thing I didn't do which I had planned to was change the clutch fluid (couldn't be bothered) and replace the fuel filter (my spanners won't fit to get the old one off, so need to get some smaller fittments)

I'm loving the K+N by the way! It might be a complete placebo effect, but really does sound like it has a growl now! :nash: Termi's should be here tomorrow as well :mand: :mand:

Headhunter
01-09-2008, 06:08 PM
I'm loving the K+N by the way! It might be a complete placebo effect, but really does sound like it has a growl now! :nash: Termi's should be here tomorrow as well :mand: :mand:

Nope. That'll be the open filter - sounds great doesn't it. BTW, where did you get your Termi's from and how long did they take to arrive?

steeevvvooo
01-09-2008, 06:26 PM
BTW, where did you get your Termi's from and how long did they take to arrive?

I bought them second hand from e-bay. They were posted last Friday so (hopefully) will be delivered tomorrow.

Only problem is, I'll be at work, and can't get to the depot before Saturday, so they'll have to wait :cry:

Headhunter
01-09-2008, 06:29 PM
Am still waiting for mine - not jealous at all.

You'll love them, fella. K&N open filter + termi's + Ducati's Italian Symphony Orchestra in M600 - classic combination!

gary tompkins
01-09-2008, 09:44 PM
Bike may need re-jetting to allow for pipes & K&N filter

They usually run a bit weak at top end

Dookbob
11-09-2008, 08:35 PM
I always go to Dynojet stage two with that set up