PDA

View Full Version : My Monster Project

superbikedeals
30-08-2008, 10:49 AM
Hi all,

I have just bought a Monster 600 Dark 2000 W Reg, 10700 miles in a bit of a state as a winter project. It has red whhels and a red frame, the black tank is a bit scratched so at some point I will have the tank and front mudguard painted...any suggestions as to colour? Silver is my fave at the moment but have toyed with white?

Anyway, being a bit thick and despite owning a 748 previously, I have no idea what the yellow triangle warning light on the dash means? I didn't get an owners manual and the Haynes manual doesn't say...or if it does I can't find it! Help?

The bike needs an oil change (reccomend an oil?) all fluids changing, brake pads changing (reccomend pads?) two new tyres (suggestions?) and a bloody good clean!

There is an oil leak from somewhere as there is a pool of oil in the container I placed underneath but at this moment the underneath is too dirty to see where it is coming from, is there something I should be checking first?

Lastly, there is a clunk noise when I turn the engine off, I kinda remember a similar noise from the 748 but as I am being paranoid with this bike due to its condition, is there anything I should be checking?

Thanks for your help guys!

Jason

Blah blah
30-08-2008, 12:03 PM
...Anyway, being a bit thick and despite owning a 748 previously, I have no idea what the yellow triangle warning light on the dash means? I didn't get an owners manual and the Haynes manual doesn't say...or if it does I can't find it! Help?...

Welcome, and it's the side stand warning light...

Albie
30-08-2008, 01:39 PM
Whites nice. Always plenty of advice on here when you start or during project. Take plenty of pics for when you reassemble. Haynes manual doesnt always show things such as wiring re routing. You may want to lose the rubber bands so think about putting lugs or clips inside of frame where the rubber bands were. Take photos of these. Sounds like you have a oil leak problem so you can sort with engine out. I doubt if its a big deal but may be a heads off job.

Good luck and welcome to ukmoc

gary tompkins
30-08-2008, 03:36 PM
Oil leak may be an engine out job, but as you plan to repaint bit's it'll be easier to do a neat job. The Red wheel/frame M600 darks are quite rare. I've only ever seen a couple and this one was at the UKMOC weekend in 2004. Good luck with the re-build and welcome to UKMOC.

JerryXt
30-08-2008, 09:10 PM
ooh, that's nice. That has to be AKs bike next to it?

superbikedeals
30-08-2008, 11:39 PM
Welcome, and it's the side stand warning light...

Doh!

Thanks, a bit worried about the engine coming out as I am planning to do most of this myself and that is way beyond me!

Here is a question I am sure is covered elsewhere but, fully synthetic or semi?

If the red frame wheels combo is rare, would I be daft to paint it any colour other than monster dark black?

Jason

dunlop0_1
31-08-2008, 05:56 AM
For me always semi, in the monster and my 748. Paint it any colour you like. It's your bike!
Just bag and tag everything as you take it apart (it's just a big jigsaw really). IMO it's easier to take the frame/bike off the engine rather than take the engine out of the frame if you are doing a complete strip down. Plenty of us on here have done it and will always offer you some guidence.

http://i139.photobucket.com/albums/q289/dunlop0_1/IM001212.jpg

superbikedeals
31-08-2008, 09:44 AM
Cheers Dunlop01,

Love the bike! Did it take a while to get used the the bar end mirrors? I work in Blackburn, not far from Accy!

Jason

dunlop0_1
31-08-2008, 09:59 AM
To be honest I think they are better than th OE ones. New £25 of Fleabay.

superbikedeals
31-08-2008, 10:55 PM
Fair enough! When I rode this bike home it had one bar end mirror on the right hand side...that was weird! The last bike I had ridden was an 06 Harley 1200 Custom so bar end was a hell of a shock!

Can anyone help with the clunking noise when I turn it off?

alreadyinuse
01-09-2008, 10:38 AM
misread that

grunter
01-09-2008, 10:00 PM
project so far

Bodybag
01-09-2008, 10:50 PM
Cheers Dunlop01,

Love the bike! Did it take a while to get used the the bar end mirrors? I work in Blackburn, not far from Accy!

Jason

I found that the bar end mirrors I had on my S4 were better than the "Mickey Mouse Ears" that come as standard. They didn't vibrate, they didn't swing loose in the wind AND most importantly, I always knew where they were.

That last point sounds stupid but your brain instinctively knows where your hands are and the mirrors are right there next to them. I find that those mirrors on stalks always take fractionally longer to find and focus on when travelling at speed.

superbikedeals
03-09-2008, 08:55 AM
Hi Bodybag,

I am convinced! Bar end mirrors it is!

Jason