PDA

View Full Version : New member

Coaster
28-08-2008, 03:22 PM
Hi all, just thought I'd introduce myself. I don't have a Ducatti yet but have recently been experiencing an urge to get something slightly more powerful to compliment my other Italian transport (Lambretta):hail:

I've always loved the look of the Monster but only recently realised that used prices are quite affordable. I don’t know very much about the various models but with a budget of up to 2 grand what do you reckon I could get, I don’t mind buying one that needs work providing that’s likely to prove more expensive in the long run.

Thanks in advance for any advice/info

Cheers coaster

red_or_dead666
28-08-2008, 03:50 PM
I bought a vespa piaggio ET4 f125cc for a very reasonable price off EBAY last year.

I've been looking at Ducati Monster 600M on EBAY and they're not badly priced, just watch out that they've got both sets of keys, the red master key is very important apparently!!!

squiffything
28-08-2008, 03:59 PM
Hi Coaster and welcome. Have a good look around the forum and read the posts on the bikes you'll soon start to realise why we all are here. For the money you have available you should be able to pick up a 600 or if lucky a 620ie which as a starter bike for you will be plenty of fun/power. You could look out for an early 750/900 if you feel you want more. The Monnies are so individual you will hardly find two the same and thats one of the appeals. Add to that the people on this forum, the rideouts, the banter and you will find that by buying one you will be joining a family.

mad_turnips
28-08-2008, 04:11 PM
hi de hi welcome to the fold

Nickj
28-08-2008, 06:48 PM
You don't want to get one you NEED to get one.

There's three main size variations but all look pretty similar up to the new generation models;

Older ones you'd be looking ( 1991 to 2001ish) at come in 400 (for jap market and rare here) 600, 750 & 900 all have carbs. Simple and competent beasts. One key only needed.
The 600 is a good starter, small light and very rider friendly. The rest are very similar in size and weight just more power.

Middling ones 2001 onwards have fuel injection 620, 750, 900 again. You could probably find a reasonable first generation IE for a good price.
I've been looking at Ducati Monster 600M just watch out that they've got both sets of keys, the red master key is very important apparently!!! For these injection models Oh yes VERY IMPORTANT!!

There are some with radiators, S4's these are the performance beasts with lots of power and do go rather well.

The newer series might be a bit too expensive still but worth worth keeping an eye on.

Nickj
28-08-2008, 06:49 PM
Oh yes, there are some friendly locals out your way who I spect would love to tell you all about monsters over a coffee / beer / bun / cake (delete according to taste!)

Arbeia
28-08-2008, 07:13 PM
Hi coaster welcome to the family!

Paranoid Dave
28-08-2008, 07:27 PM
Hi there in norwich, i'm in ipswich and there's a few of us in between too. 2k should be enough to get a tidy bike thats a few years old. I got a 900 injection, stage 2, re mapped ECU, high levels and all the standard stuff for less than £2500 so get hunting.

Scootaboy
28-08-2008, 10:29 PM
welcome fellow scoot dude ;)

had lammies as my first 2 bikes 10 years back, now got a vespa gs160 and recently sold my auto vesp for a monster 695...not as good in heavy traffic but amazing on the open road and for cornering/handling/grip/brakes/acceleration etc etc etc!!

Coaster
29-08-2008, 11:54 AM
Wow, thanks for the rapid feedback AND you didn't tear me to shreads for owning a scooter.

You've confirmed my thoughts that I should be able to pick up something reasonable in my proce range (up to £2k). A guy I work with who's into bikes (1600cc Yam) thought that mileage would be an issue especially wioth respect to cam belts?

How DIY friendly are they? I'm pretty competent with a spanner and spray gun.