PDA

View Full Version : Flaky exhaust paint on 696?

PeterPoddy
28-08-2008, 10:25 AM
If your standard cans are looking like this (Mine) -

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3112/2805741728_f7d00bedf4.jpg

All you need is some of this (About £4) and a sheet to cover the back wheel and swingarm so you don't remove more paint than intended! -

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3291/2805744448_b1b480aeb9.jpg

And a dollop of this ;) -

http://www.insuremeblog.com/agent/BLOGIMAGES/elbow%20grease.jpg

And they'll soon look all shiny like this -

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3008/2805753356_dfedff51df.jpg

Which I'm sure you'll agree looks a LOT better...!
:D :D :D

Snips
28-08-2008, 12:15 PM
Looks better than original, good work!

[ Could lose the hotdog tray though ;) ]

walpole68
28-08-2008, 02:13 PM
Mine are nice and shiny thats because they are wrapped up in my Termi box. :)

CK & AK
28-08-2008, 02:25 PM
If your bike has such bad carbon deposits or paint removed so early on from new, to rectify this you have either:

a: have replaced std cans with termis (or similar) and had race ecu or fuelling checked.

b: gone back to your dealer as this looks like your bike is running too rich so fuelling needs checking.

c: had the offending item replaced

do NOT leave your bike like this or clean off if it is carbon deposit - there will be an answer as to why you are getting this fault with it.

edited to add: Just popped out to the garage & checked the std cans languishing in a box - it is paint on them at the ends, but I'd query with the dealer as to why the paint is burnt off

C:)

PeterPoddy
28-08-2008, 03:31 PM
If your bike has such bad carbon deposits or paint removed so early on from new, to rectify this you have either:

a: have replaced std cans with termis (or similar) and had race ecu or fuelling checked.

b: gone back to your dealer as this looks like your bike is running too rich so fuelling needs checking.

c: had the offending item replaced

do NOT leave your bike like this or clean off if it is carbon deposit - there will be an answer as to why you are getting this fault with it.

edited to add: Just popped out to the garage & checked the std cans languishing in a box - it is paint on them at the ends, but I'd query with the dealer as to why the paint is burnt off

C:)

Its not carbon deposits, it's paint, yes. But it's not BURNT off, it just FALLS off......
:)

Each and every one of the 6 or so 696s I've seen so far has had the same flaky paint. I saw it on the one I test rode which had done under 300 miles and though "I'll clean that up if it happens to mine." It did, so I did.
Yeah, I could go back to the dealer and get them replaced, but why bother?
It would cost me more in fuel than a can of Nitromores, and take longer to accomplish than what I have just done.
That, IMO, would be just shooting myself in the foot.

All it is is a bit of cheap black paint. Why they bother with it in the first place baffles me (Baffles..... exhaust..... Did you see what I did there? ;) ) I think it looks far better shiny then black.
:D

PeterPoddy
28-08-2008, 03:36 PM
[ Could lose the hotdog tray though ;) ]

When funds allow, a short tail unit is next on the list now I've seen pics of one fitted, but I don't reckon the standard one looks too bad anyay

Paranoid Dave
28-08-2008, 04:04 PM
I was going to say i cant believe they painted such a dodgy area prone to decay or used such poor quality paint, but actually i can believe it.

Looks good polished up tho.

PeterPoddy
28-08-2008, 04:15 PM
I was going to say i cant believe they painted such a dodgy area prone to decay or used such poor quality paint, but actually i can believe it.

Looks good polished up tho.

Thanks!

And yes, I agree with you too.

The silly thing is that it's bloody stainless steel! Why bother painting it in the first place? I love bare satainless steel. It always stays looking good, it cleans up easily and it just looks classy. I actually prefer stainless to carbon and If I ever get the funds together for some Termis (Not likely soon) I'll get the stainless steel ones. Snells have got a set on display and they are sooooooo shiny and nice, and a lot cheaper than the other cans.

In their defence, Ducati aren't the only ones that do this, but it's still a waste of time and effort. Leave it shiny!

:D

CK & AK
28-08-2008, 04:32 PM
Peter - I did check & edit my post to say paint at the bottom:)

I'd still have taken them back - and then brought the shiny ones too, just so there is an immaculate std pair to sell on with the bike if you needed to at a later date.

Go for the stainless ones - much nicer than carbon (its soooo last year is carbon :D ;) ) Have had mine on for quite a long time now - and they do look much better, as well as aiding performance too with the DP 'race' ECU :cool:

C

Arbeia
28-08-2008, 07:26 PM
Termi`s Termi`s Termi`s!

slob
28-08-2008, 08:01 PM
Why bother painting it in the first place?
I reckon it's painted so it looks like the big black hole in a race can rather than a baffle.

PeterPoddy
28-08-2008, 08:17 PM
Peter - I did check & edit my post to say paint at the bottom:)

I'd still have taken them back - and then brought the shiny ones too, just so there is an immaculate std pair to sell on with the bike if you needed to at a later date.

Go for the stainless ones - much nicer than carbon (its soooo last year is carbon :D ;) ) Have had mine on for quite a long time now - and they do look much better, as well as aiding performance too with the DP 'race' ECU :cool:

C

By the time I come to sell it, nobody will know the difference between cans with a dab of crap black paint or ones without.... And it's just pointless bothering it. I have better things to do than go back to the dealer every 10 minutes..... Like ride the bloody bike! (2400 miles since June 16th now)

I doubt I'll be buying any Termis this year, I simply can't afford them......And next year I'm getting married so I need money for that as well.

StevieB
28-08-2008, 09:33 PM
Mine are nice and shiny thats because they are wrapped up in my Termi box. :)

Same here , best place for them , sound tinny anyway

gary tompkins
28-08-2008, 11:09 PM
I reckon it's painted so it looks like the big black hole in a race can rather than a baffle.

I think Slob's spot on with that one

As to why it falls off - same reason all paint drops off Ducati's. Crap choice of paint for the job and/or pi$$ poor surface preparation... IMO

I guess factory assume standard cans will get replaced before 1st service anyway?.... I know mine did :D