PDA

View Full Version : Alarm or Almax…

steeevvvooo
27-08-2008, 08:36 AM
Morning all, I’m weighing up the pros and cons of an Almax lock and chain v’s an alarm…:scratch:

I’ll need a pretty big chain (to go around a tree where I park my bike) as the car park is tarmac, so an anchor is pretty useless. I’ll be looking at about £200 by the time I’ve bought a tail pack as well. Can you get a decent alarm for £200? Any suggestions? Are the self fit ones any good, or do I really need to get a professional fit alarm?

My insurance company offer ZERO discount for either, so that’s not a factor. :banghead:

Am alarm is obviously more portable, and I use my bike to commute, so that would be good, but I know that alarms are often ignored (especially if they go off at night!) :worried:

Paivi
27-08-2008, 10:09 AM
Alarms are a waste of time, as nobody reacts to them. Also, by the time you hear it, react to it, pull some trousers on, run to the bike, all you'll see are the vanishing rear lights of the van with your bike inside. Also, the alarms can be a drain on the battery, my Datatool 4 drained the battery within a week, even when it was just in the ferry mode.

Get an Almax and top it up with a Tracker or another scheme like that, can't remember what it's called, though, I'm sure somebody else will come along in a minute.