PDA

View Full Version : Adjustable levers fitted on 696

MrsJel
25-08-2008, 09:30 PM
Have now got new levers fitted - great I can actually use the clutch properly without having to rest my hand on top of the grip to reach.

I realised that I had a real problem using the lever in this way when, because I'd let the clutch out too quickly, I snaked my way through a ford and ended up with the bike leaning on my knee before someone ran back to help me get it back upright (no damage to bike, just major embarrassment).

Don't know what make they are and I don't think they're for the 696 really - the chaps at jhp sorted them out for me and they're great.

Has anyone else had probs with the reach on the 696 levers? If so, there is an answer.

Carole

wooley_t
25-08-2008, 09:47 PM
JHP Coventry...........need to run the country then life would be perfect........

wooley_t
25-08-2008, 10:05 PM
How far did they actually stick out??. Was it that bad??. Sounds a bit scary if you've had to reach that far...were these the standard 696 levers with no adjustment??.

I thought Ducati's marketing idea for this bike was to cater for new bikers/ smaller people ( no dis-respect MrsJel) with the 696 to tap into new market, which i think they are doing well at, then develop the bigger engined bike/better spec'd kit for taller people...........?? (possibly the 1098 engine.....with trick bits??)

BUT................

Very naughty of Ducati not putting adjusters on............i'd send them an e-mail raising your point....i'd get them to fund the mods needed for safe riding...........

StevieB
25-08-2008, 10:21 PM
I had to change the levers too. The clutch lever in particular was a very long reach with the bite point right out at the end of the lever travel. I got Pazzo's from Speedycom. Not cheap but really nice

wooley_t
25-08-2008, 10:29 PM
Very very naughty of them......raise an issue if i were you. Get them to fix the problem.........women have smaller hands (so my mrs has just said over my shoulder....).....Point to be raised with Ducati it seems..........

CK & AK
26-08-2008, 07:10 AM
Took mine off the day I got it in early May and AK chipped out the 'stopper' inside (like araldite) so the clutch was much more user friendly biting about half way.
Carole - glad you sorted out replacement as AK & I also thought the std one supplied was a disgrace in its original set up.

C:)

MrsJel
26-08-2008, 03:09 PM
JHP Coventry...........need to run the country then life would be perfect........

Not sure about them running the country - quite happy that they've kept me on the road for the last 5 or so years though.

On one hand, I'm happier that there are more out there doing this mod, but on the other hand - I will write to Ducati, because if the problem is common, then they ought to know about it - you never know, they might do something!

Carole

Space Cadet
26-08-2008, 04:50 PM
I’ve just bought my first bike, a 2005 620ie and I’m finding the levers too much of a stretch, the manual says it should have adjustables but it doesn’t.

I thought never mind I’ll just by some adjustables at say £20 each, but they’re more like £65 each!! And then you need a mechanic to set them up properly.

I would be interested to know the outcome of your letter to Ducati.

happybiker
28-08-2008, 07:58 PM
Thanks for the info Carole - I am finding the reach OK, but it gets painful after being stuck flitering London's traffic for a long time, so thinking about doing the same myself.

Took the bike round Wales last weekend though and boy was it fun on the bends!

PeterPoddy
28-08-2008, 08:22 PM
http://www.phone-forensics.com/forum/images/smilies/extra1/this_thread_is_useless_without_pics.gif

MrsJel
28-08-2008, 08:30 PM
http://www.phone-forensics.com/forum/images/smilies/extra1/this_thread_is_useless_without_pics.gif

Give me a spreadsheet full of formulas and pivots; a project plan; some graphs or a P&L and I'm happy - put me near a camera and it all goes to pot.:dunce:
But as some folk are never happy - I'll see what I can do :idea:

Carole

brooley
06-09-2008, 08:05 PM
Hi All
I changed my levers for Pazzos, much better span on clutch and bite point. However watch out for front brake lever, there is a tiny bit of plastic that drops out and the brake light stays on. Had to buy a new switch just to get a bit of plastic the size of a large lighter flint.

regards
Steve

Albie
07-09-2008, 02:16 PM
I’ve just bought my first bike, a 2005 620ie and I’m finding the levers too much of a stretch, the manual says it should have adjustables but it doesn’t.

I thought never mind I’ll just by some adjustables at say £20 each, but they’re more like £65 each!! And then you need a mechanic to set them up properly.

I would be interested to know the outcome of your letter to Ducati.

Your not looking in the right places. You could easily buy a decent Pair for less than £50. Rip off.

PeterPoddy
07-09-2008, 06:27 PM
Give me a spreadsheet full of formulas and pivots; a project plan; some graphs or a P&L and I'm happy - put me near a camera and it all goes to pot.:dunce:
But as some folk are never happy - I'll see what I can do :idea:

Carole

Thanks for the pics.... I like those, nice and subtle. No chavvy anodised colours. Do they do black?

:D

Space Cadet
08-09-2008, 07:48 AM
I think the ones in the pictures are OEM Ducati levers, they do them retro-fit for the 620 but from memory they’re about £45-50 in which case would prefer to put the extra £20 and get the Pazzos. I haven’t found them any cheaper than £65 though.