PDA

View Full Version : Powder coating wheels

Seb_uk
25-08-2008, 02:12 PM
I've decided to investigate getting my wheels powder coated - I've had a white S4r stylee stripe applied to my bike and It looks pretty good and really sets of the black paint job (once again apologies for no pics, but am working on it :mand: ).

I think getting the wheels powder coated in white will really compliment the whole colour scheme of the bike, the only problem I have is I have no idea where to get it done and have heard some pretty bad stories of cheap jobs gone wrong. Can anyone recommend anywhere that will do a good job without charging a fortune? I think I'll probably wait until the cold weather sets in as I imagine the bike would be wheel-less for a little while when it's being done, but am hoping to look at some options in the meantime.

Thanks

Seb

Capo
25-08-2008, 03:21 PM
Aerocoat (Gt Yarmouth) 01493 488455

Nonnie
25-08-2008, 08:37 PM
Yep. I recommend them too. They did some stuff on my bike too. And not too expensive.

wooley_t
25-08-2008, 08:41 PM
Mine are white at the mo but considering going to the dark side.........love the white but a pain to keep clean. I have fat hand syndrome and cant get 'em into the front wheel....

wooley_t
25-08-2008, 08:44 PM
http://www.ukmonster.co.uk/monster/showthread.php?t=29541&highlight=848

Unless like my buddy damon,,you have a bike cleaner to do it for you.....

Dookbob
25-08-2008, 09:05 PM
If the original powder coating is in good condition I always celulose my wheels. Just flat them back lightly , quick wipe with a rag and thinners, and spray them with three good coats. That way you still have them powder coated , and in the colour you want. I have even done them with the tyres in place ( masking tape and clingfilm ). Done two monsters, a couple or three Hondas, and an MV F4, never had a problem.
Dookbob

Seb_uk
26-08-2008, 06:53 AM
Thanks all - will check out Aerocoat I think.

Seb_uk
27-08-2008, 09:22 AM
I called Aerocoat yesterday - they gave me a ballpark figure of approx £50 per wheel - very reasonable indeed. I think I'm gonna get my brake calipers done in red also, should look very nice.

Now my next dilemma - removing wheels from bike, getting tyres, valves + brake discs + calipers removed & then getting everything to Great Yarmouth. Still, not getting it done for a while so have some time to figure out some solutions.....!

Paranoid Dave
27-08-2008, 01:27 PM
Seb, I'll be doing exactly the same in the coming months, let me know how you get on with them. Removing the bits should be easy, its the rubber stuff in the rear that the sprockets on that's tricky, do they not do this for a fee?

Mr Cake
27-08-2008, 02:30 PM
You might be able to leave the cush drives in and just mask them off, Dave. There shouldn't be any powder coat within the immediate vicinity as this will affect spacing.

desmo
27-08-2008, 02:41 PM
You might be able to leave the cush drives in and just mask them off, Dave. There shouldn't be any powder coat within the immediate vicinity as this will affect spacing.

I don't think that will be possible.
As far as I know the powder coating process involves heating up the wheel, possibly baking it in oven of some sort, I enquired about this a while ago cos I am changing my wheels from white to black, (cos of the cleaning issue) anyway, I was told the wheels have to be totally striped, brake disks - cush drive - even the wheel bearings have to come out.

I put it of last year until I needed tyres, my tyres are just about shot now, so hopefully I will get them done soon & have 2 x new tyres at the same time.

Mr Cake
27-08-2008, 02:44 PM
Wouldn't painting be a better option? Painting adds far less weight to the wheels, and I'd have thought the powder coat would be easily chipped.

Paranoid Dave
27-08-2008, 03:22 PM
I thought the powder would be more hard wearing in the long run than the paint?

I had some small wheels powdered before and had to strip bearings out etc. I'll give my wheels to mr spanner man and he can do the work and I'll pick them up all nice and tidy. Yes those pesky metal bits that the rubber fit into have to come out too, all a bit of a faff but worth it in the long run.

Capo
27-08-2008, 04:40 PM
Powder coating is resilient and is much less susceptible to chips than paint.
Mr. Cake could you quantify 'far less weight'

rollo22
27-08-2008, 05:20 PM
If you go for a paint job or powder its better to strip the wheels right down,
With the powder coat just have to mask of all wearing surfaces
Spray job best to use 2 pack harder finish still need to strip wheels helps prevent runs

Paranoid Dave
27-08-2008, 05:23 PM
I assumed 2 pack is harder than water based but which is stronger ???
Looking at it the other way, the weight is not enough to worry about and in the long run powder might go a bit cloudy and need t-cut or buffing in some way unlike the 2 pack.

I'd still go with powder.

wooley_t
27-08-2008, 08:33 PM
I agree with the powder coat..more uniform and robust finish. Unfortunately,,,,just the wheel, not accessories. I'd cork bearing seats (get a definate seal/seat or mask them. I'd just be a bit concerned with masking tape glue though when there baked.

Phatty
27-08-2008, 09:26 PM
aye, i've done my own in the past (had a powder coating plant at work)

you need to totally strip the wheels. the oven is around 180C so if you have bearings in it may damage the seals and you could end up with greas running out and ruining the finish.

the powder coater should know which area to mask up (with plain old masking tape), like the bearing surfaces and disc mounting faces. once they are removed from the oven and cooled you just pull the tape off and remove the glue with panel wipe, or acetone.

Seb_uk
28-08-2008, 06:59 AM
Seb, I'll be doing exactly the same in the coming months, let me know how you get on with them. Removing the bits should be easy, its the rubber stuff in the rear that the sprockets on that's tricky, do they not do this for a fee?

I know that some places will remove the wheel + other stuff from the bike, but I asked Aerocoat and they said they don't have the facility to do this. Shame, as it would have made the whole process a lot easier. Won't be getting it done until later in the year, but will let you know how I get on.

It's surprising how much you have to remove from the wheels, I was thinking just tyres, brake disks and valves - totally forgot about bearings, etc.....!

slob
28-08-2008, 07:41 AM
the powder coater should know which area to mask up (with plain old masking tape), like the bearing surfaces and disc mounting faces.

Should but often don't if it's an industrial finishers that doesn't do much bike stuff, definitely worth having the conversation with them beforehand.

Capo
28-08-2008, 10:31 AM
Areocoat just did all my engine cases and covers, I stripped out every bearing seal and stud.
They use a foil type masking tape that leaves the adhesive on the surfaces when peeled off. A REAL pain in the arse to remove, nothing I tried would disolve it, took thinners and scotchbrite and a lot of time.

http://i295.photobucket.com/albums/mm143/Tarugo996/P1000678.jpg

Lost Again
29-08-2008, 10:13 AM
I got a load of stuff done over a year and a half ago at Triple S in Bingley (West Yorkshire). Had the frame swingarm and a load of other stuff done in black with the wheels in bright white. Ridden it in all weathers sionce then and I am a bit lazy when it comes to cleaning. Wheels still go from murky grey to gleaming white with a quick scrub so not too much of a pain to look after really.
As has been said, all bearings and cush drives etc have to be removed but then the coaters mask off all bearing surfaces and important bits and put bolts down any threads. All my bits came back ready to be assembled with no work required at all.
They're a bit far for you but if anyone needs coating done for a decent price in the yorkshire area they're top notch.

Mr Cake
30-08-2008, 04:37 PM
Mr. Cake could you quantify 'far less weight'
I'm not a quantity surveyor. It just looks weighty :D

woody324
26-09-2008, 07:37 AM
Anyone in the south of England could try Flowplant Group in Salisbury. They do an excellent shotblast and powder coat job on wheels, frames, swinging arms etc. at very good prices.
www.shotblastingpowdercoating.co.uk