PDA

View Full Version : What order do you take a monster apart?

Paranoid Dave
24-08-2008, 03:59 PM
There is a bike in need of stripping and it occurred to me that if the frame, wheels etc are coming off, how do you prop it up and what order do you do it?
I assume paddock stand to start with, but do you block under the engine at the start or when its time to take the forks out? Do you need an under yoke stand or just bits of wood?

Please tell.

PD

Mr Cake
24-08-2008, 04:08 PM
Don't they decide for themselves, Dave? All you have to do is sweep it back into the garage :p

Paranoid Dave
24-08-2008, 04:09 PM
Oh ha ha very good. This pile of parts will be created on purpose.

slob
24-08-2008, 04:19 PM
Take the exhausts off, chock it up under the engine and then remove the rest of the bike.

gary tompkins
24-08-2008, 05:10 PM
I'm sure AK/Shandy/Woddy/Albie etc.... will be along shortly to advise?

Note that I've left myself off the list. I tend to add things onto monsters rather than strip them off ;)

Nonnie
24-08-2008, 06:12 PM
If there is a chance that Woddy can take a bike apart then he won't be coming to America this week so don't tell him til he gets back PD. Please?!

Driving in the air. Simple.

Shandy
24-08-2008, 06:25 PM
Take the exhausts off, chock it up under the engine and then remove the rest of the bike.

What that man said, i used a bike lift thingy i got in a Machine Mart sale worked well for me but was a bit wobbly a couple of times :worried:

http://i80.photobucket.com/albums/j192/ducatimonsterdog/Monster%20Pics/FrameonEngine004.jpg

Albie
24-08-2008, 06:32 PM
well. start with the easy bits like fairings,lights , seat, mudguards,clocks and handlebars. You can take off brakes connected to calipers.
Exhausts off.
If you have some axle stands you can turn over the rear footrests ie upside down and put axle stands under them so you can take off rear wheel and swingarm .
Drain tank and remove that and also remove battery and air box. I would leave the front wheel until you drop the engine.

Disconnect all cables and connectors and label.

Remove carbs or injectors.

Trolley jack with some wood under engine and then drop engine slowly with assistance if a mate around.

Then you can remove front wheel and forks with a nother pair of hands and you are left with a frame.

Easy really but take pics or look at other threads or the Haynes book of untruths.

Have fun Dave its all worth it.

adam15
25-08-2008, 08:04 PM
I took most of the stuff of that i could and then took the wheels out putting the engine on the floor with some wood held together to make the engine sit straight then removed the frame from the top.

CK & AK
25-08-2008, 08:19 PM
well. start with the easy bits like fairings,lights , seat, mudguards,clocks and handlebars. You can take off brakes connected to calipers.
Exhausts off.
If you have some axle stands you can turn over the rear footrests ie upside down and put axle stands under them so you can take off rear wheel and swingarm .
Drain tank and remove that and also remove battery and air box. I would leave the front wheel until you drop the engine.

Disconnect all cables and connectors and label.

Remove carbs or injectors.

Trolley jack with some wood under engine and then drop engine slowly with assistance if a mate around.

Then you can remove front wheel and forks with a nother pair of hands and you are left with a frame.

Easy really but take pics or look at other threads or the Haynes book of untruths.

Have fun Dave its all worth it.

thats about right Albie :)

Should take you about a couple of evenings after woork Dave, a man of your experience ;)

AK

wooley_t
25-08-2008, 08:34 PM
Shandy, bike looks awesome.......

Stand idea looks the way......i'd do that with straps over the top to anchor points to keep it stable......