PDA

View Full Version : Monsters Do Go Offroad!!

gremlin
20-08-2008, 07:30 PM
Just home from very soggy fortnight camping in Devon and Cornwall. Only managed to get out on two days in Devon and still got wet on one of those and another two days in Cornwall and just managed to get back before the skies opened.
In Cornwall we put tw@t nav on shortest route what a mistake to make. We ended up on cart tracks with a foot of grass in the middle and a delightful mix of gravel and cow wotsit either side and then had to negotiate a ford a foot deep! Unfortunately Clive didn't have the camera going when I went through the ford and he was panicking in case I came off in the middle of it. It's amazing how fear improves the skills! Found some good roads too but the weather was so foul we didn't get a chance to ride them. My little baby didn't put a foot wrong bless her and was very forgiving.
I did get stuck in Mousehole, on a corner on a 1 in 4, a volvo came round on my side and I had nowhere to go and couldn't back up cos I hadn't enough strength, but got rescued by Clive and two other chaps!
Found a really interesting corner at Porthcurno a real corkscrew on a really steep hill which his nibs thought I was going to get stuck on but we managed it quite well, having low down oomph really helped. Hopefully we'll get a chance to have another go at the roads, now we've got set up with trailer and huge tent (one room for us, one for wet leathers and one for the girls (the bikes) and a central living area) we got our legs pulled for having the girls in the tent and had the usual comments about having to keep Ducatis dry cheeky sods but the heat off their engines warmed the tent quite nicely when we got back feeling cold and tired.

ladybird
20-08-2008, 09:59 PM
:) sounds like you had a good time though :)

gremlin
21-08-2008, 10:13 AM
Had a brilliant time, even went mackerel fishing and fed seals in the harbour at St Ives which for a water phobic like me was an acheivement, and I wasn't sick which was a bonus! We had to come in early though as the weather was getting bad and it turned choppy then ended up as a force 8 later. Caught 20 mackerel between us but took four to cook and have to say they were the best I've ever had, out of sea into pan within the hour! Got soaked and our leathers now have fish scales as decoration. It's just bit of a sod that our first holiday in 5 years was so wet, 10 out of the 14 days it p'd down! Think if we do it next year we'll go earlier, and at least we now have everything so we can just pop off when we like. Hopefully it's also helped my confidence issues too, being confronted with sharp bend on a 1 in 4 focuses things a bit.