PDA

View Full Version : Back Packs? Kreiga, Oakley, Netto or Aldi?

marchesini
18-08-2008, 09:18 PM
Being a design ponce that I am, I'm in the market for a new backpack. Something that is little on the outside but big on the inside (a bit like myself ;)) or for those less smutty and more anoracky, like the Tardis.

Ideally, something that will hold a 17" Mac Laptop and other stuff. Thinking of doing the Belgium roadtrip so would also be able to be used as a touring pack. I did a bit of research and it seems that the brand to have is Kriega - in particular the 25 or 35 versions. They also do lots of add-ons etc ... which is nice. But they are rather pricey so any users like to inform me what I'm getting for my money over say a £40 Oakley jobbie. Or do other brands do equally good packs.

Any design snobs out there?

MrsJel
18-08-2008, 09:32 PM
Coming from a time when I did lots of walking - I still chose Berghaus. I have a small pack (24L) which I use when off to work on the monster - it holds an IBM notepad, change of clothes and spare shoes as well as power supply, mouse and A4 daybook.

If you're not happy with the bike shop choice - try an outdoor shop.

Carole

giler
18-08-2008, 09:48 PM
I bought the Hein Gerike Taureg, £24.99, loads of room and found it comfy.
Rode to 85 mile south of Le Mans with it, comes with a built in orange rain cover; good bit of kit for the money.

JerryXt
18-08-2008, 09:52 PM
only one choice for a laptop - booq - fantastic quality, comfortable so you forget you're wearing it and pockets for everything. Secure compartment for the laptop.

spike748
18-08-2008, 10:01 PM
I use a Knox Aero pack. It will take the shoes, pants, etc for the long weekend....just. A lap top is no problem, but I would fear the worst if it rained heavily or if I fell over! For me and the 'puter.

How about this range of Ducati luggage:

http://uk.tumi.com/tumi_collections/t3_ducati/category_search/index.cfm?N=4013+600141&Ne=600&seeall=yes

Serious bucks or wot. If you skwint hard enough, a Ducati logo is visible!

Funkatronic
18-08-2008, 10:17 PM
have to say my kriega R35 is one of the best purchases i have ever made`

i rode a push bike round london for years with a variety of day pack and messenger bags and all of the them hurt my shoulders, back and neck like hell and all have prematurely died or got my stuff soaked

the way the kreiga puts all the load on your chest and hips and frees your neck and shoulders up to move freely (for those all important life savers) is just a revealtion

i have been busy selling the r25 and r35 to all my push biking and courier mates

i know the r35 is £100 but it has a 10yr warranty (that i know they honor as i have a mates that popped a stitch and they replaced no questions asked)

i have spent way more than £100 on bags in the last 10 years
hope this helps

JMo
18-08-2008, 10:24 PM
Ogio tend to make good quality stuff too... but I'd tend to agree with Funkatronic - the Kriega gear is top notch... only the problem for ladies is the 'oh so clever' strap system doesn't account for those of us a little more stacked up front...

Hey ho...

xxx

craigie
19-08-2008, 06:30 AM
I recently got a Kriega and must say it is the most comfortable rucksack I have ever had, and they look pretty good as well which with you be a bit 'designy' will appreciate. They seem designed for riding so very comfortable on the bike.

Dave G
19-08-2008, 07:48 AM
I also am a fan of the Berghaus/Karrimor well made rucksacks,but then I've been using them for over 25years and would rate them well over any bike specific ones.
The main drawback they have is they are designed for hillwalking/mountaineering and therefore carry the load higher on the back,this makes sense when your walking but they can touch the back of a crash helmet if worn on a bike, on a sportsbike this can be annoying or restricting, perhaps less so on a monster but worth considering if you go for one like this.
While the bike sacs are OK on a bike I'm not a great fan of them as general bags,they are too fussy and carry the bulk far too low,this'll give you a sore back if you have to lug it about all day.

mikej
19-08-2008, 07:55 AM
I got a Knox ("six pack" i believe) about a month ago and would recommend it. It comes with a helmet bag and a removable lap top sleeve, also has laces across the front to carry a halmet when you are off the bike and 2 chest straps to distribute the weight. Has been pretty waterproof so far and did an 800 mile round trip to Scotland without really noticing it was there. Got it from Ducati Aylesbury for £40.

Stuart42
19-08-2008, 07:58 AM
Hi

my last rucksack was a Jack Wolfskin and it lasted 10 years and had all sorts of abuse, including going down the road several times.

Was held in place by a parachute harness.

Have bought a new one as started to let water in, but sadly they don't do the parachute harness anymore.

Chatting to the guy in the shop he said the worst thing about selling a Wolfskin one is you don't tend to see the customer again as the stuff lasts so long.

Cheers
Stuart

binky
19-08-2008, 08:33 AM
Kriega is the way to go. Recently been to Ireland (1200 miles in 2 days) and it is the best thing I've tried. Been riding for 30+ years and never found one as go as this. I have the R25 with a add on for another 10 Lts and its all I need. The weight is on your chest which is ideal for on a bike. If your walking then its a different story, I have been using a Pod sack for about 15 years (the same one) and it is still going strong if a bit faded, been up some big mountains with it over the years, only trouble is it leaks so needs a liner.

Capo
19-08-2008, 08:49 AM
I'm pleased to see that you are thinking of the Belgium trip.
You must go Simon, your bike has it's own page on the MOB website, for them to see it and meet it's creator would be fantastic.

marchesini
19-08-2008, 09:03 AM
Thanks for all your recomendations guys and gals.

Very familiar with Booq as I had / have one of their sleeves for my PowerBook. Loved it to bits until the strap snapped nearly throwing my mac under the nearest bendy bus. Fancy something different now.

Not keen on the Berghaus (or similar outdoor brands) because I'm really shallow and wouldn't want anybody thinking that I go hillwalking in Wales on my weekends. Or that I've ever owned a Tupperware container or a thermos flask. Well, I tell a lie, I do own a Thermos Flask but it is Japanese, stainless steel and looks good in my kitchen.

I once has a really funky motorcycle back pack - it was gloss Ducati red, hardshell construction and aerodynamically made so when in a racing position, it streamlined with your helmet to minimise buffeting. Held my laptop (and very little else) but it looked the nuts. Only problem with it, was when on my back, I couldn't turn my head from side to side or back - so anything other that a completely upright riding position, it was useless - dangerous actually. Looked great off the bike (very important) but as a back pack - especially one designed specifically for motorbikers, it was total rubbish. Suffice to say, it went back and unsurprisingly, I've never ever seen another biker wearing one.

Anyway, I digress. I have heard nothing but good stuff about the Kriega back packs especially regarding the comfort factor. The price is a little off putting but if helps with my low self esteem issues, and is comfy on the bike then it's a price worth paying. I am unsure of whether to go for the R25 or R35 - is there anywhere in London / Kent that stock them. Don't want to get something and then find it's the size of the Eiffel Tower.

Cheers again for all your thoughts

Simon

slob
19-08-2008, 09:27 AM
just about everywhere Simon...
http://www.kriega.com/pages_uk/order/order-topframeset.html.
(scroll down)

I reckon you can find Hein Gericke OK but can you find Belgium?

marchesini
19-08-2008, 10:29 AM
I reckon you can find Hein Gericke OK but can you find Belgium?

Well, I'll just follow the man in front with the beard that goes round every roundabout twice ;)

If not, it give me an excuse to but a GPS Bike mounted laser tracking navigation system that projects maps directly onto my retina. Seriously though, did toy with the idea of getting a nav thingy type thing for my bike. But then again, I know how to get to Aldi's from my house so not really sure of the need?

sadbiker
19-08-2008, 11:36 AM
Thanks for all your recomendations guys and gals.

Very familiar with Booq as I had / have one of their sleeves for my PowerBook. Loved it to bits until the strap snapped nearly throwing my mac under the nearest bendy bus. Fancy something different now.

Not keen on the Berghaus (or similar outdoor brands) because I'm really shallow and wouldn't want anybody thinking that I go hillwalking in Wales on my weekends. Or that I've ever owned a Tupperware container or a thermos flask. Well, I tell a lie, I do own a Thermos Flask but it is Japanese, stainless steel and looks good in my kitchen.

I once has a really funky motorcycle back pack - it was gloss Ducati red, hardshell construction and aerodynamically made so when in a racing position, it streamlined with your helmet to minimise buffeting. Held my laptop (and very little else) but it looked the nuts. Only problem with it, was when on my back, I couldn't turn my head from side to side or back - so anything other that a completely upright riding position, it was useless - dangerous actually. Looked great off the bike (very important) but as a back pack - especially one designed specifically for motorbikers, it was total rubbish. Suffice to say, it went back and unsurprisingly, I've never ever seen another biker wearing one.

Anyway, I digress. I have heard nothing but good stuff about the Kriega back packs especially regarding the comfort factor. The price is a little off putting but if helps with my low self esteem issues, and is comfy on the bike then it's a price worth paying. I am unsure of whether to go for the R25 or R35 - is there anywhere in London / Kent that stock them. Don't want to get something and then find it's the size of the Eiffel Tower.

Cheers again for all your thoughts

Simon

Just bought a 35 from my local Hein Gericke, Phone your local stores to see if any have som in stock, basically its up to the store if they want to stock the backbacks so not all have them.

alreadyinuse
19-08-2008, 12:24 PM
Check out a TKmaxx shop.
My local one have some really good backpacks in just now.

wooley_t
19-08-2008, 12:29 PM
kreiga hands down. i used some on a recent trip and they were faultless. US20 with 2x US10's did the trick nicely.,

Funkatronic
19-08-2008, 12:41 PM
almost everyone stocks these so ring whoever is most local to you and you will probably find they have them

JerryXt
19-08-2008, 01:07 PM
just walked past Tumi on Piccadilly . They've got a Ducati range in - very nice, but holy cow, they're expensive. Like a bag costs the same as an S4Rs service expensive!!!!

Rancid Badger
19-08-2008, 04:47 PM
I'm a bit of a "label fiend" too & have had countless Oakley daysacks over the years.

The ONLY pack I have ever found to be comfortable on the bike is my Kreiga - just don't waste your money on anything else.

Oh BTW, love the Booq's self destruct feature for Mac's, maybe Kreiga could sell a pyrotechnic charge as an add-on! lol

Shuffy
20-08-2008, 01:26 PM
Has to be the Kriega, brilliant and indestructible, had mine for years and can't fault it. I think you can increase the capacity of the rucksacks by clipping on the 10 litre tail pack which is handy, especially if you don't want to leave the tail pack strapped to the bike if you're not there.

moor-ph0
21-08-2008, 08:18 AM
Hi,
I've been using Kriega for several years now - 15L and 25L with some add on's - excellent piece of kit. In the case of the 25l pack I find I can't get the straps right - not enough adjustment. I phoned the guys at kriega and they offered to make the adjustments to the straps if I send it back. So good customer support also.

Geoff

termi'd696+
27-08-2008, 12:19 PM
Anyone had any experience of the Axio SWIFT Hardpack, Ducati Pramac Edition (116.90 euros/£93.30)?

wooley_t
27-08-2008, 08:24 PM
try........

http://www.motogear.cc

I bought my Kriega from here......chopped and changed packs and they were great..........

Very highly recommended.

Paivi
27-08-2008, 08:41 PM
just walked past Tumi on Piccadilly . They've got a Ducati range in - very nice, but holy cow, they're expensive. Like a bag costs the same as an S4Rs service expensive!!!!
Lucky for you then that I turned up, otherwise you would have walked in! :mand: