PDA

View Full Version : More BHP from a M600.. cans and filter?

YellaMonsta
14-08-2008, 08:20 PM
So in my voyage of discovery of all things Ducati on this site I was sent a link
http://www.motorcyclespecs.co.za/model/ducati/ducati_monster_600%2096.htm

Anyway the chap who writes the article says that the engine is the same as a 600 Pantah which pushes out a healthy 70bhp.

He suggests changing the Air filter and exhausts that you can up the power of the standard engine.

So is it that simple? 20bhp extra sounds a hell of alot for a simple exhaust and air-filter change.
Would the carbs need rejetting to suit?

thoughts...?

Kiwi
14-08-2008, 08:24 PM
pantah is a slightly different engine not sure exactly what , bigger valves I suspect

but if you want 70hp, start off with a 750 monster as you will spend a lot of money trying to gett that out of a 600

my 900ss has cans airfilter and power commander and has 82hp by way of comparison

Yorkie
14-08-2008, 08:28 PM
You can expect 5-10 BHP increase with good performance cans and a performance airfilter (Open boxed) with either factory-pro or dyno-jet!! (And thats about it)

If anyone knows more they will be along shortly!

Yorkie

Yorkie
14-08-2008, 08:29 PM
Kiwi,

Your SS is injected isnt it?? Slightly different performance than carbed!

Yorkie.

YellaMonsta
14-08-2008, 08:51 PM
Yeah its kinda of what I thought. 5-10bhp at best. 20 seemed alot.

I'll trade this bike up next year, no need to go crazy. Still alot to learn about biking and bike mechanics.

Cheers
Al

Blah blah
14-08-2008, 08:57 PM
Stage 2 Dyno jet it, race cans, k&n or similar and cut a big hole in the top of the air box, that'll make a noticable difference to the midrange. Don't worry about how revs it's making, you'll soon find out the point that it stops pulling, then you change up, simple really

Oh, plus braided hoses for the brakes cos you need to stop

Blah blah
14-08-2008, 09:03 PM
http://i46.photobucket.com/albums/f142/AKJRAY/P3190001.jpg

A hole cut in an airbox earlier

CK & AK
14-08-2008, 09:19 PM
Big bore kit.......

I know of one ;) that will fit the later 583's that is looking to be sold (might need new rings tho)
Modified for racing - bigger pistons (675) barrells specially machined down

Drop a pm if interested £200, no offers tho

Kiwi
15-08-2008, 06:01 AM
Kiwi,

Your SS is injected isnt it?? Slightly different performance than carbed!

Yorkie.

yes it is injected however injection vs carb is not going to give that much more power - definitely will not make the difference to get 70hp out of a 600 monster

wife has a 600 monster with sils pipes dynojet and k&n, runs a lot better than standard but no where near 70hp

Gilps
15-08-2008, 07:51 AM
We run a 583 Monster Dark engine in our 600SS DD bike. It's probably one of the best engines in the paddock and makes 53bhp, with open air box, standard headers, Dynojet stage 2, and single race can. I guess you could squeeze a couple more BHP if you bothered to gas flow the heads, balance the crankshaft etc, but it must be easier to go for a bigger engine, or the big bore as CK suggests.
We only managed to get 64BHP out of out 620i so I can't see you getting 70 from a 600.

CK & AK
15-08-2008, 08:12 AM
600 (583) std produces 49 - 51 out of the box
620 (618) produces 60 - 62 out of the box.
The 750ie monster produced 62 - 63 out of the box

With mods etc the best you are likely to get out of a 583 is 55 - and thats with a big bore kit as well as airbox etc.

620 with simple mods like a PC & airbox, as well as ensuring cam timing is spot on, can produce up to 66 ish. With more engine mods such as lightened flywheel, lightened & balanced crank and gas flowed heads etc you are looking at about 68/69 tops - but very good mid range performance - which is what the twins are all about.

Its important to note that dynos also vary - a Dyna-Pro dyno will calculate differently to a std dyno (usually about 5 - 6 bhp at the rear less than std dyno's), and not every dyno reads the same anyway.
I know of one well thought of establishment where bikes consistently read 'high bhp' compared with anywhere else, and another where they read a lot lower........
Later bikes such as the 696 is quoted at the crank rather than at the back wheel so more food for thought there.
Doing mods will usually mean a better spread of power - usually increasing the mid range from moderate to dramatic, tho not increasing the top end power by much.

However - doing too much work to an engine 'can' lead to major problems as internal components might not be able to take the increase and therefore give way & go 'pop'.

We currently race 2 x M800ie's - on a dyna-pro dyno they make 78 & 79 at the rear wheel respectively, and they have had the heads gas flowed, they both run PC's and have other mods too. We have to conform to an upper limit of 80bhp at the rear wheel on a Dyna-Pro dyno for our race series.

At the end of the day - who can honestly say they have used the FULL power of their bike, in ALL gears right through to the top end in every day riding? Even on track there are many who never quite get all of it even in racing.
Doing engine mods is satisfying for people who like to tinker, and maybe get a better power increase in mid range as well as more crisp delivery.

Want more dramatic power on your bike? Source a bigger engine & play with that instead :)

IMHO of course :D

C

YellaMonsta
15-08-2008, 08:57 AM
Woah there... I am not about to start tearing the bike apart trying to get every last pony from the engine.
I just wanted clarification on something I read :) Although these posts have been very informative.

I am going to two stage solution:

Stage 1: Air filter, air box mod (induction roar ;) ) and new high level cans.

Stage 2: Colin Chapman rule book, Add lightness. I am going to eat less pies and lose weight.

Stage 3: Buy a bigger engined Monster!

Thanks everyone.

Kiwi
15-08-2008, 07:27 PM
Want more dramatic power on your bike? Source a bigger engine & play with that instead :)

there is no replacement for displacement

a good big motor will always beat a good small motor

CK & AK
15-08-2008, 08:17 PM
there is no replacement for displacement

a good big motor will always beat a good small motor

exactly :)

but a good rider on a small motor can usually beat a not so good one on a bigger motor ;)