PDA

View Full Version : LED Indicators

adam15
13-08-2008, 07:58 PM
I have some LED indicators and have been trying to make them work today.
I tried a different relay although only has 2 cables instead of 3 and also used resistors on each indicator but this was not working.
Does anyone who has fitted LED indicators to there's have any ideas or know how to fit them so they work.
At the moment with 2 connected they flash fast with all connected not at all, or sometimes 3 flash at once.
Do they do a straight forward relay that just plugs in?
Any help or ideas would be useful.
Thanks

dlloyduk
13-08-2008, 08:12 PM
Can give you RS part numbers of resistors that work if you need. Just wire each one between + and - wires. What sort of resistors are you using?

Nickj
13-08-2008, 08:16 PM
You can get flasher units that are happy with the very low resistance LEDs or just add a resistor in line on the positive side. Remember the resistor (one per indicator) will be dumping the same current as a normal bulb so can get warm to hot.

adam15
13-08-2008, 08:41 PM
Can give you RS part numbers of resistors that work if you need. Just wire each one between + and - wires. What sort of resistors are you using?

Using some resistors which someone I know used on their bike when the did their and it worked for them, different bike but didn't cost anything to try.
Do you know the resistance value required then?

dlloyduk
13-08-2008, 09:39 PM
Not sure of the value but you can get from the RS part number online.
How are you connecting them? They need to be between the +- leads before the indicator.

I think the RS number was 160-714. Will double check tomorrow.

http://uk.rs-online.com/web/search/searchBrowseAction.html?method=searchProducts&searchTerm=160-714+&x=29&y=12

Attribute Type Attribute Value
Case Type Axial
Technology WireWound
Resistance Value 6.8Ω
Resistance Tolerance 5%
Power Rating 25W
Temperature Coefficient 100ppm/°C
Operating Temperature -55 - +200°C

adam15
14-08-2008, 07:55 PM
Well today I got an LED relay...another one which solved the flashing rate problem, BUT......now which ever way I signal (left or right) it's like a set of hazard lights, they all come on at once :(
If I don't work this out soon I will have to spoil the rebuild and just use the old standard indicators :'(

dlloyduk
14-08-2008, 08:11 PM
The part number above is the same as the ones I am using.
It seems like you may have some wires crossed some ware, why not wire up the standard ones to check they work OK.

adam15
14-08-2008, 08:22 PM
The part number above is the same as the ones I am using.
It seems like you may have some wires crossed some ware, why not wire up the standard ones to check they work OK.

One step ahead of you there....I tried that and they work perfectly so may have to go back to them until a later date

emily's driver
16-08-2008, 11:37 AM
Rizoma make some neat resistors for their range of LED indicators. As has already been mentioned, you must wire them in parallel to each indicator. Try wiring in both fronts or rears first and see if this cures the problem. A lot of the time it is not necessary to wire in all 4 resistors as the load can be dissipated sufficiently between the handed pair, using just the one resistor. I would try replacing the original relay and then go ahead as above initially. Make sure you disconnect your battery first. Also most LED resistors, as mentioned get very very hot, so site them somewhere where the heat they produce will not cause you problems, ie near plastic or painted components. You other option would be to use LED bulbs in the stock indicator housings. I have a spare set if you make no progress with your current set up.

alreadyinuse
16-08-2008, 02:44 PM
Which indicators have you got Adam?

Motrax do a ducati relay for their led indicators.

They worked on mine without resistors or a relay tho. bu i only fitted them to the rear so maybe that makes a difference.

maybe try resistors on one set only with the stock relay

adam15
16-08-2008, 09:38 PM
Well I tried an LED relay...resistors...and anything else that may have been meantioned and then due to the time wasted testing things I gave up and today I took the LED ones back and got a full refund, maybe in the near future once completely finished and back on the road I'll have another go at it...in other words try different types till I find one that works.
Thank you to everyone for the help