PDA

View Full Version : Bleedin' paddock stands...

BluprintZ
12-08-2008, 06:14 PM
Had a rare bit of sun this evening, so i thought i would do a bit of back-end maintenance (ooer!) on the bike, chain adjust and lube, chamfer the pads,`cos they are grunting a bit at low speed, plus a good clean-up of the back wheel all round.
I just realised that i can't get the fecker onto the paddock stand without HELP!
But there's no-one around, so i thought sod-it and came in for a brew.
Do they make stands that you can put the bike on when on yer own?

Teed off!

Stafford
12-08-2008, 06:20 PM
I did'nt know that they made stands you can't use on your own.

It's a matter of technique and for a standard swing arm having the pads set at the correct distance.
Oh and a bit of muscle. ;)

slob
12-08-2008, 06:27 PM
Level surface, bike on the sidestand with the paddock stand behind it.
http://www.ukmonster.co.uk/monster/attachment.php?attachmentid=11788&d=1218565329

using the grab handle to hold the bike upright (hold from below if you have a cowl), place the stand cups just in front of the sprocket bolts and push down on the standhttp://www.ukmonster.co.uk/monster/attachment.php?attachmentid=11789&d=1218565334

Bob's your uncle, no help needed
http://www.ukmonster.co.uk/monster/attachment.php?attachmentid=11790&d=1218565340

Albie
12-08-2008, 06:28 PM
Yes you can manage by yourself but you need one to be confident and make sure you keep your sidesatnd down in case you need to lean in back quick. Best way I found on a dual sider was attack from left side and hold grab loop with left hand and hold bike perpendicular. bend down and with right hand place stand under and press down to take the weight and release lefthand. Put weight of both hands down on stand and hey presto. Single sider are 10 times more easy.

Albie
12-08-2008, 06:29 PM
Bugger everytime I be helpful Mr Helpful Slob there with his photo manual. LOL

BluprintZ
12-08-2008, 06:42 PM
Thanks a lot Rob`n Albie, i shall do it forthwith.
If perchance, you don't see a post on here within the next hour, i'm probably still pinned under the bike!

Cheers, mi`dears.

Albie
12-08-2008, 06:43 PM
Ok so if you do you will post. send us your addy and if not back in an hour we will phone fire brigade

BluprintZ
12-08-2008, 07:24 PM
Got it on the stand without hurting me or the bike, although me mate was here as goalie, just in case.
My stand isn't like yours Rob, mine has a single handle that slides out and you twist it to lock it, so by the time you get it near the ground, yer fingertips are just about on the grab-rail, a bit iffi.
The chain is well`n truly feckered, slack as a witches whatsit in one place and tight as a ducks arse in another.
Spotted a few fine "filings" around the back sprocket, so the chain is obviously starting to have a drastic effect on it.
What chain am i after? and would it be best to change both sprockets at the same time?
The bike has done 12k, not sure if that is the original chain or not.

Thanks for the advice lads.

Albie
12-08-2008, 07:27 PM
I would change the whole lot tbh. Glad you did it ok.

slob
12-08-2008, 07:51 PM
I always do the lot together, that way your knackered old sprockets aren't runing against your nice new chain, reducing its life from the word go.
I always go for a gold x-ring job, like Renthal sprockets too, might try a Renthal chain next time I need one.

BluprintZ
12-08-2008, 08:26 PM
I always do the lot together,

Yea, makes sense i suppose Rob.
I'll check a few places out tomorrow and see what they come up with.
I tell you what though, it's streched a damn sight quicker than i was expecting.
I adjusted the chain at the end of May, just before i set off for the TT, although the bike had a good 10 days thrashing, so i expect that pretty much did the chain in, the roads were crap.

Cheers Rob.

George.