PDA

View Full Version : 696 tail tidy

walpole68
12-08-2008, 01:26 PM
Has anyone got the ducati tail tidy with the termi pipes ? How does it look,with the termis being longer than the standard pipes does it have the wheel barrow look,any side photos would help to make decision. Thanks.

Arbeia
12-08-2008, 01:34 PM
i have ordered the tailchop but still waiting for it i will tell you soon as it arrives.

Lucati
12-08-2008, 02:12 PM
Does the tail tidy include new indicators? I 'kneed' one of my rear ones off at the weekend getting on the bike! It was a combination of me not getting my leg over high enough (ooh eerrrr!) and the rear indicators not having any flex in them at all. On my 695 the rear set were on springy brackets so I got used to hitting them occasionally with my knee. Either way I now have a rather un-tidy selotape and superglue set up which looks great!

walpole68
12-08-2008, 02:30 PM
Indicators not included.Reason i was asking as a tail tidy on ebay at the moment and my pipes being fitted on Thursday morning.I can find some pictures just not a side view.

Lucati
12-08-2008, 03:20 PM
Theres a 3qtr view in the catalogue showing a 696 with a tail tidy and termis and the plate will still stand a bit further back than the pipes and it doesnt resemble a wheel barrow - however, if b&q sold wheel barrows that looked and sounded like that i'd have one!

PeterPoddy
12-08-2008, 07:03 PM
Theres a 3qtr view in the catalogue showing a 696 with a tail tidy and termis and the plate will still stand a bit further back than the pipes and it doesnt resemble a wheel barrow - however, if b&q sold wheel barrows that looked and sounded like that i'd have one!

Heheheee!
Top line!

I'd be interested to see what the tail tidy looks like too as I was thinking of getting one myself. The standard indicators are really nice IMO, so I'd keep them
But would the standard number plate still fit, for instance?
I just bought the gel touring seat which I reckon was good value at £116.
:)

walpole68
12-08-2008, 07:34 PM
I just bought the gel touring seat which I reckon was good value at £116.
:)[/QUOTE]

Is you seat on your bike now ? If so is it a more comfortable place to sit ?

Arbeia
12-08-2008, 11:04 PM
the tail tidy doesnt have the indicators and the number plate sits inbetween the silver ends of the termis. i think a slightly smaller plate will be needed.

PeterPoddy
13-08-2008, 09:48 AM
Is you seat on your bike now ? If so is it a more comfortable place to sit ?

It's definately more comfortable, but after just one 40 mile ride I'm not 100% sure I like it.....
It's quite a bit thicker than the standard seat, and as such I seem to be pearched quite high up, loosing the 'sitting IN the bike' feeling, if you see what I mean. I felt a bit 'disconnected' from the bike, but I have an injured hand and I was taking it very easy.
Also this extra height puts more weight on your hands and over the front, which isn't necessarily a bad thing, but will take time to get used to
It's also a lot firmer than the standard seat, which is why it's more comfortable - You don't sink through the soft foam and sit on the hard plastic underneath.
It's a nice looking seat too!

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3090/2759621656_797995d055.jpg

But here you can see the extra thickness -

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3207/2759625414_bf8917d0e7.jpg

walpole68
13-08-2008, 09:56 AM
It's definately more comfortable, but after just one 40 mile ride I'm not 100% sure I like it.....
It's quite a bit thicker than the standard seat, and as such I seem to be pearched quite high up, loosing the 'sitting IN the bike' feeling, if you see what I mean. I felt a bit 'disconnected' from the bike, but I have an injured hand and I was taking it very easy.
Also this extra height puts more weight on your hands and over the front, which isn't necessarily a bad thing, but will take time to get used to
It's also a lot firmer than the standard seat, which is why it's more comfortable - You don't sink through the soft foam and sit on the hard plastic underneath.
It's a nice looking seat too!

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3090/2759621656_797995d055.jpg

But here you can see the extra thickness -

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3207/2759625414_bf8917d0e7.jpg

Its looks fab on a red bike,not sure how that would look on a white bike though.

MrsJel
13-08-2008, 10:02 AM
May just get an air hawk or cycling shorts!

Carole

PeterPoddy
13-08-2008, 01:47 PM
Its looks fab on a red bike,not sure how that would look on a white bike though.

Yes, very true.
But any other colour than red is simply wrong anyway, right?

;)

PeterPoddy
13-08-2008, 01:57 PM
May just get an air hawk or cycling shorts!

Carole

As a VERY keen cyclist I can tell you that cycling shorts will not make the slightest difference here because-

1) They are designed to remove seams on underwear (They are worn without underwear, next to the skin) from delicate regions. It's these seams that cause chafing with the movement of your legs. No pedalling on a motorcycle = No movement = No benefit.
2) If your saddle is the wrong shape for your bum to start with it won't matter what you do.
3) The standard 696 seat is just too soft (Unless you are really light). People think that soft = comfy, which ain't true on any bike, because all you do is sink through it and sit on the plasic shell beneath. Again, cycling shorts won't fix this.

The standard seat is fine for short rides, IMO.
But I tend to ride all day and it hurts me much over 100 miles. A 180-mile day hurt like hell!

Just though you might like to know!
:D

walpole68
13-08-2008, 02:12 PM
Yes, very true.
But any other colour than red is simply wrong anyway, right?

;)

Wrong.White is the new red.
No i love the Red but the white was just some thing different.Think i need one of each to be totally happy !

PeterPoddy
13-08-2008, 05:27 PM
Wrong.White is the new red.
No i love the Red but the white was just some thing different.Think i need one of each to be totally happy !

Oh yeah, white is certainly the new 'in' colour and the Ducati pearl white is lovely in the extreme.

My reasoning was that I might only ever have one Ducati, so it had to be red.

(It's a different shade of red to older Dukes, too. It makes them look a tad orangey parked side by side. It looks the same shade as a 1098 though....)

MrsJel
13-08-2008, 06:32 PM
As a VERY keen cyclist I can tell you that cycling shorts will not make the slightest difference here because-

But I tend to ride all day and it hurts me much over 100 miles. A 180-mile day hurt like hell!

Thanks for that - I just thought that the shorts might give a bit of cushioning too.

If you've done 180 mles then you'll probably understand my state after travelling 460 miles from Inverness to home last Saturday and why the bike stayed locked away for the next week!

On our next trip, we'll typically be doing around 300 miles a day (with a day off in between) so something will have to be done. There's a trip around north wales at the weekend (around 300 miles) so if I can still sit after that, I'll let you know.

Carole

PeterPoddy
14-08-2008, 09:22 AM
If you've done 180 mles then you'll probably understand my state after travelling 460 miles from Inverness to home last Saturday and why the bike stayed locked away for the next week!

On our next trip, we'll typically be doing around 300 miles a day (with a day off in between) so something will have to be done. There's a trip around north wales at the weekend (around 300 miles) so if I can still sit after that, I'll let you know.

Carole

Carole, If the touring seat is too expensive, those Airhawk things are ment to be good (I've not tried one though) so it might be worth looking at them.
There's no way I'd do that sort of milage on the standard seat, either.

Dunno about you but it was the edges of it that got to me. If you look at that photo of mine you can see there is virtually no padding at all near the front edges and they felt like they were cutting into my inner thighs. Ouch.

Hope your tour goes well, where are you off to?

Josh
14-08-2008, 10:42 AM
Walpole - did you get your tail tidy? I got the Termi pipes when the bike came a few weeks ago but the tidy's still on back order. Also a bit pissed cos the little coil return spring on the back brake lever broke and in the last few days a front brake disc has warped. Ducati Manchester are on the case but I think Italy are letting them down on parts delivery so at the mo I'm getting a cooked back brake and it's like riding a 50p piece when I use the front ones! Josh

slob
14-08-2008, 10:47 AM
Italian parts delivery is always a bit iffy in August, basically the whole country goes on holiday 'cos it's too warm for work.

Arbeia
14-08-2008, 11:13 AM
I have been waiting nearly 3months for my tail tidy.

walpole68
14-08-2008, 01:18 PM
Pipes fitted and service done.Oh my god ! these things are loud ! Wasnt quite expecting that,not saying i dont like it just more of it than i thought.I must say though are worth it for looks alone.

Arbeia
14-08-2008, 11:38 PM
I`m freaking gutted,i`ve just been reading on here about some1 snapping and indicator on there 696 whilst getting there leg over(excuse the pun) so i thought better be carefull not to do the same and what goes and happens? SNAP!! off comes an indicator. so i`ve gaffa taped it back on for now. i feel like crying ;(

walpole68
15-08-2008, 07:21 AM
I`m freaking gutted,i`ve just been reading on here about some1 snapping and indicator on there 696 whilst getting there leg over(excuse the pun) so i thought better be carefull not to do the same and what goes and happens? SNAP!! off comes an indicator. so i`ve gaffa taped it back on for now. i feel like crying ;(

Would say i will be extra carefull but it might be a curse !

Arbeia
15-08-2008, 09:44 AM
i have ordered the new sleeker indicators but they`re about £60 for the pair!!!

MrsJel
15-08-2008, 11:56 AM
Pipes fitted and service done.Oh my god ! these things are loud ! Wasnt quite expecting that,not saying i dont like it just more of it than i thought.I must say though are worth it for looks alone.

Don't they look lovely !

walpole68
15-08-2008, 12:01 PM
Don't they look lovely !

I must admit they are worth it just for the looks,tried it with the db killers in last night and nearly as quiet as standard but still much better midrange,at least i have the choice between quietish and loud.The best bit is no more hot legs ! the cans dont really get hot,much more comfortable in traffic.

Josh
15-08-2008, 02:12 PM
Walpole - you are right about the cans being loud! I had them fitted before delivery so haven't known any thing different. I still haven't picked up the baffles from the dealer that go with the Termi cans so interested to hear you put them in last night. Not having seen them don't know how this works but the dealer says it's easy to pop them in but more difficult to take them out.

As for the noise when I come home I vacillate between trickling down the road to keep it quiet and other times giving a big dose in first gear and then shutting off to let everyone here the overrun gunfire.

Slob - I half guessed the Mafia brigade would bugger off in August.

walpole68
15-08-2008, 02:20 PM
The db killers are tiny and held in by one allen screw,mine pulled out very easily even when hot with a pair of pliers,its amazing how some thing about 1 1/2" long make so much difference,if they are two quiet and without them too loud it would be very easy to modify to make a bit louder.

CK & AK
15-08-2008, 02:50 PM
The db killers are tiny and held in by one allen screw,mine pulled out very easily even when hot with a pair of pliers,its amazing how some thing about 1 1/2" long make so much difference,if they are two quiet and without them too loud it would be very easy to modify to make a bit louder.

Spare sets of DB killers for the Termis will be 'in stock' in Sept.

Try buying a pair - then cutting over 50% of them off.... ;)

Re-fit, then your bike looks like it has baffles in to Mr plod from the rear, but sounds rather nice :D

walpole68
15-08-2008, 03:02 PM
Spare sets of DB killers for the Termis will be 'in stock' in Sept.

Try buying a pair - then cutting over 50% of them off.... ;)

Re-fit, then your bike looks like it has baffles in to Mr plod from the rear, but sounds rather nice :D

Thats exactly what i was thinking,getting a spare set to play around with.

Arbeia
15-08-2008, 11:28 PM
plod shouldnt be bothered aslong as you dont give him reason to pull you or give him cheek. how do harleys get away with being loud?
putting db killers in of any length is just sacrilege,share that delicate sound of thunder with the world!

Snips
16-08-2008, 01:12 AM
I got a call today (errr, make that yesterday) to say my official DP 696 tail-chop kit has arrived (ordered on the day I collected my bike back in May). I'll be fetching it real soon and I'll post pics.

Cheers,
Nige

MrsJel
16-08-2008, 09:31 AM
Hope your tour goes well, where are you off to?

We're off to Southern France (Gap) for a few days.

I know its not a tail tidy, but yesterday got the call that the new front screen had arrived. If anyone's thinking about it - make sure you have a look first - I'm keeping the standard screen for a while longer!

Carole