PDA

View Full Version : Used to run only on 1 pot, now won't start!

Hoggzman
12-08-2008, 09:43 AM
Hi foks.
Hope someone here can help, at me wits end here!!

Have an R reg M900 twin carb which had a problem only running on the front pot.
I've ruled out both HT leads, confirmed there are sparks at both pots (using those little red things you put on the leads) and confirmed that it’s not an ignitor / relay issue by swapping them over.
Still only front pot, so I spoke to a friend of mine who suggested it could be carb related.
So...I took the carbs of, took off the float chambers and cleaned it all up as best I could.
Now it won't start at all!!
Any idea's folks, can't afford to send it to a garage so if I can't get it working it's gonna have to be sold off for spares!!!

skidlids
21-08-2008, 12:16 PM
Is the fuel pump working OK
When my M600 went down to one cylinder then shorlty on to None, it turned out my fuel was contaminated with rain water as thhe drain from the filler cap was blocked.
Had to strip the pump and clean that, then with fresh fuel in the tank and the drain unblocked all was as it should be.

Martin C
21-08-2008, 11:08 PM
I know it sounds silly, but have you checked the LT wiring connections to both coils? My M900 had a similar fault that eventually turned out to be a dodgy wire just before a spade connector onto the relevant coil.

dunlop0_1
22-08-2008, 05:10 AM
I would still change the plugs. The lights you refer to only tell you there is a pulse to the plugs, they don't tell you the plugs are ok. Also because you have drained the carbs there is no fuel there to start the engine. If the 900 is like the 750 then there is not enough vacuum pressure just turning the engine over to release the fuel. Try some easy start on the air filter or inject a small amount of fuel down the carbs just to get it running, and check the fuel lines are not kinked.

Neil.

Dookbob
25-08-2008, 08:19 PM
I fitted a manual fuel tap on my 600 to get round the slow float chamber filling thing, it cured it. it wouldn,t have been a problem of course if I had used the bike more often.
Dookbob