PDA

View Full Version : Wellcome from the YellaMonsta

YellaMonsta
11-08-2008, 01:56 PM
Hi guys,

I have been looking to get a my first big bike after my DAS a few weeks ago. I was looking at SV's and the like, Bandit or Hornet. You know cheap biking.

My ultimate bike would be a Ducati Sport Classic 1000 Paul Smart replica. That’s the bike that floats my boat. :) Well I am not up for that kind of purchase quite yet. Next year may be different.

i never thought about getting a Monster because of the usual, it will break, its slow, its badly built, its not in your budget... etc.

I went to see a bike last night and my heart totally ruled my head and against my better judgement and that of my biking mates, I bought a 1995 Ducati 600 Monster. It was high miles for a Ducati with a genuine 23,000 on the clock. Well some of my mates seem to think that’s high for a Ducati.

I paid bang on parkers list price for it, which makes it so far under my budget its unture.
The nice chap I bought it from sells bikes for a living and delivered it to me and gave me a water proof cover from his Daytona as he knew it would be a while before I get a garage space for it. Very decent of him.
It’s yellow (the colour I really wanted) and it’s had two new tyres a full service and the belts done, new bearings and over all it’s a nice bike with perfect front forks and seals. It has a year’s tax and mot and it’s been fairly well maintained.

I am over the moon and can’t wait to clean it up to my standard and detail it. I can’t believe I bought a Ducati. My wife is so happy for me as this is the brand she likes the most.

I know its just a plain jane 584cc bike and only has around 50bhp, but I am dead chuffed. Its a DUCATI!!! What a great first bike and I'll maintain it to a high standard, do most of the work bar electrics myself.

I don’t have picture but this is what it kinda looks like.

http://micapeak.com/DPG/ducati/monster/yellow-m600.jpg

It felt small though when I sat on it. So light compared to the CBF600 I learned on and the engine feels different when revving. V Twin??

Now I just need some insurance :) any recommendations?

Cheers

Al

Diego
11-08-2008, 02:06 PM
Welcome YellaMonsta and congrats on your new bike!

People often underestimate the 600. When treated nicely service wise and tweaked to your liking it's a lotta fun. It defo has enough power for London use!!!

Get some carbon pipes as soon as you can.

YellaMonsta
11-08-2008, 02:14 PM
Which brand of pipe should I go for? i want the whole Ducati sound from the V twin. :)

Also I hope this bike performs on the B-roads. i know its not a sports bike but sporty enough to take on or keep up with my mates 00 Bandit and my other mates CBF600 then I'd be happy.

I just need to live with them between 40-90mph above that and i'm not interested. :)

squiffything
11-08-2008, 02:17 PM
Hi Al and welcome to the gang. There are quite a few old monnie owners here with oodles of knowledge for you to tap into. If you haven't already done so have a good look at Shandy's rebuild of his yellow 600 for complete inspiration of the sort of things you can do.

Get yourself out and about with the London boys if rideouts are the sort of thing you're into Slob and Headhunter (the London Reps) will be along to say hello soon I'm sure.

Excellent choice of bike and may you have many years of monstering ahead of you.

YellaMonsta
11-08-2008, 02:23 PM
Thanks buddy,

As I'm a new biker I just need to build up some more riding skills and easy myself in.

I was told by bloke who definatly in the anti Ducati club to expect to be left behind alot. Even by basic Jap 500's and 600's. Hmmn.. its cool I am still buzzing that I have Ducati. The big Ducati will come soon enough. I just need to learn alot about biking in general.

Al

yantheman
11-08-2008, 02:45 PM
:D Welcome, I am new to biking as well.

Thats rubbish.. Never been beaten at the lights by any Japs inline 4 at the range of 0-60. Thats enough to lose the license in one hit already.

Of course beaten by Diego... how do you manage to ride that fast Diego? LOL

Diego
11-08-2008, 02:50 PM
Which brand of pipe should I go for? i want the whole Ducati sound from the V twin. :)

Depends on your funds and taste. I like the Ducati Performance pipes.

Also I hope this bike performs on the B-roads.

Bike is at its best on b-roads!

I just need to live with them between 40-90mph above that and i'm not interested. :)

Easily done!!!

YellaMonsta
11-08-2008, 03:08 PM
Excellent then I am chuffed. My mates are happy about my purchase but its mates of mates who are the experts.

Anyway I'm gonna sort insurance and bike locks tonight.

Where can I get a replacement rear hugger from cheap?

Nickj
11-08-2008, 03:18 PM
Nice one Yella, dared to be different and got a real bike :)
I don't know why there is so much ill informed rumour about Ducatis, perhaps the Japs have a secret rumour mongering scheme. They respond to TLC but all bikes do and I don't think are any less reliable than anything else. Water is OK too, they don't stop in the rain if they do it'll be your fault for not keeping the connectors clean and greased. Mines been up to the bottom of the headstock in water (last years floods) and didn't miss a beat over the 4 hours I was splashing my way home.
On the miles 23K isn't that high, it's still below the current 'normal' annual averages, mines done 20K now with 15K of that in the last 18 months!
The only time I've been let down was a snapped chain and a flat tyre.

It will be slower than a jap 600 in a straight line but when you get to real monster territory (twisties) the roads level things out and it's more about the rider, and when you get it right it is very good. Plus the engines are so nice to ride but do take a bit of getting used to.
Having said that there is a lovely clip on you tube with a 600 (called Pinky) leaving a much bigger jap 4 off of the lights on a 'run what ya brung' day.

Seb_uk
11-08-2008, 03:25 PM
[QUOTE=Now I just need some insurance any recommendations?
[/QUOTE]

ebike insurance are pretty good.

Congratulations on your choice of bike - I had a yellow 1995 M600 as my first bike. I wouldn't worry about the mileage issue as long as the bike has been regularly serviced and had the belts done on schedule. Contrary to popular belief Ducatis like to be used regularly - keeps them running sweet! Bikes that have been stood for ages often suffer from perished rubber components(fork seals, wheel bearings + belts can harden over time) + electrical gremlins from moisture getting in. Use the bike as much as possible and enjoy! :)

JerryXt
11-08-2008, 03:46 PM
Hey, welcome! 600 is a fantastic bike for London and the mileage isn't a problem if it's been looked after. Make sure the cam belts have been replaced within the last two years and the oil changed regularly etc and it will be fine.

I'm off on one here, but these guys who say Ducatis are unreliable - what a crock of sh*te. They're mostly people who buy new or nearly new J*p bikes and have never had a Ducati but know a mate of a mate of.... who had problems with his because it was 15 years old and he/she never maintained it or maintained it themselves badly. Ducatis seem to last longer than J*p bikes cos they're cared for and are still good bikes whatever there age. Any old bike will have its problems, just like old cars will. There you go - I'm done.

:D

YellaMonsta
11-08-2008, 04:42 PM
Well my bike did come with some evidence of service history but not fully documented. The previous owner knows his Ducati’s and maintained it fairly well.

It’s been properly serviced, but I may do it all again next month apart from the belts which he had proof.

I am pretty handy with the spanners so this bike will be highly maintained. Need to learn about bikes though.

No I am intending on cleaning the bike up as it’s grimey in places. I’ll lube it up, but with electrical connectors should I just unclip WD40 them all and put em back?

slob
11-08-2008, 06:41 PM
Welcome to the club, what end of London are you in?

Nickj
11-08-2008, 07:33 PM
Got a spare Haynes '91 on manual if you want it?

Headhunter
11-08-2008, 07:43 PM
Hey fella, welcome to the club and excellent choice of bike.

Hope to catch you about, if you fancy meeting up with some other Monsters.

YellaMonsta
12-08-2008, 08:51 AM
I am based in Kingston-Upon-Thames so kinda border of SW london, next to Wimbledon Putney Richmond etc.

Nick, may take you up on that manual mate. I can't wait to service the bike, sounds weird but when I service one of my classic cars I feel a bonding process. Also sense of satisfaction that I know things have been done. :)

I am so happy I bought a Ducati and to tell you the truth I haven't felt this happy about a purchase since I bought my old 68 Mustang. Its a good feeling and feels special, much different from the normal run of the mill bikes.

I am itching to get out on the bike but late nights at work have stopped me getting my insurance sorted. Well I have only had the bike 2 days. Also its been raining and I'm fair weather rider ;)

I just need to find a source for good parts such as a rear hugger and service items.

YellaMonsta
12-08-2008, 08:54 AM
Hey fella, welcome to the club and excellent choice of bike.

Hope to catch you about, if you fancy meeting up with some other Monsters.

Very much up for meeting up with other monster owners. ;)

Headhunter
12-08-2008, 09:48 AM
Nice one.

I cover West London and Slob, the east.

We should have something coming up soon and hopefully some decent weather. Keep an eye on the events/region announcements.

For servicing I (and many others) recommend Ray and Marcus at RossoCorse - www.rossocorse.co.uk or you could try pro-team in Wimbledon who are also recommended by others.

At all costs avoid a certain metropolis.

J.P
12-08-2008, 09:52 AM
Welcome to the club and I'm sure you'll love the bike.
If you're still looking for insurance you can try www.biketeam.com

Funkatronic
12-08-2008, 10:03 AM
shouldn't that be

http://www.biketeam.co.uk

YellaMonsta
12-08-2008, 10:44 AM
Nice one.

I cover West London and Slob, the east.

We should have something coming up soon and hopefully some decent weather. Keep an eye on the events/region announcements.

For servicing I (and many others) recommend Ray and Marcus at RossoCorse - www.rossocorse.co.uk or you could try pro-team in Wimbledon who are also recommended by others.

At all costs avoid a certain metropolis.

I have just got some quotes for insurance:

£114 TP
£120 TPFT
£360 FC
All 5000 miles limited with pillion

As the bikes not worth a great deal I thought I'd go TPFT.

Funny I bought the bike from a chap who works ate Metropolis. I was supposed to go in there to get some parts.

Seemed like a good guy. Oh well the bike has been bought now and i can't be arsed to worry about it. ;)

Well up for a ride out, but I am still a little green. Filtering is still a dark art. :)

Ok so Proteam are very close to me. I hope they do parts.

Diego
12-08-2008, 11:10 AM
Filtering is still a dark art. :)

ahhhh I feel the Dark side is strong with London commuters ;-)

alreadyinuse
12-08-2008, 12:29 PM
that fully comp proce sucks. are you leaving it on the street?

Are you sure you'll do 5000 miles? cos thats alot

YellaMonsta
12-08-2008, 12:52 PM
that fully comp proce sucks. are you leaving it on the street?

Are you sure you'll do 5000 miles? cos thats alot

Not sure I'll do that much really, as I won't be commuting on this bike just riding on nice days when its clear.

Do you think I should reduce it further?

Headhunter
12-08-2008, 12:57 PM
You're close to my age and that's the sort of prices I get. Have 8 yrs' NCB as well.

*****polis are cool for buying/training but when it comes to servicing/customer service - less said the better.

If you're ever in SW19 drop me a pm. You'll soon get the art of filtering!

YellaMonsta
12-08-2008, 01:00 PM
You're close to my age and that's the sort of prices I get. Have 8 yrs' NCB as well.

*****polis are cool for buying/training but when it comes to servicing/customer service - less said the better.

If you're ever in SW19 drop me a pm. You'll soon get the art of filtering!

Mate I was born in SW19 I am always over in Wimbledon. I'll send you a PM when I have a day off. Cheers

Al

alreadyinuse
12-08-2008, 01:06 PM
When it comes to pipes. High level is the way to go. in my opinion anyways.
Termis and DP remus pipes(like mine) are easy to fit.
Sil motor ones look more involved.
Ebay is your freind. Any monster hi level pipes will fit.
Most ebay sellers don't include the brackest and spacers. these are 55 quid from moto rapido tho.

incase you wanna know what a yellow 600 looks like with hi level pipes.
http://images38.fotki.com/v1277/photos/8/890293/3446862/P1010035-vi.jpg

YellaMonsta
12-08-2008, 01:25 PM
Looks cool.

Need a paddock stand.
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Micron-Motorcycle-Rear-Paddock-Stand_W0QQitemZ160055429991QQcmdZViewItem?hash=ite m160055429991&_trkparms=72%3A984%7C39%3A1%7C66%3A2%7C65%3A12&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14.l1318

Also how do crash bobbins work or what do they do? Are they just crash bungs?

Been looking at a belly pan. Not sure if its too much though. The lines of the bike are nice as is.

J.P
12-08-2008, 02:22 PM
I've got a paddock stand you can have for £10 which is almost new, if you can pick it up. Posting is a pain because of size and weight.
It's a Micron one (purple thought) but I hardly used it before I changed bikes.

ladybird
12-08-2008, 02:27 PM
hello Yella, I am also around KT, you may spot me about :D
the commute on the bike wins hands down over the sweaty squished train journey (even in the rain)
my FC comes in at £308

YellaMonsta
12-08-2008, 03:39 PM
Ladybird: Hey cool it would be good to see a fellow Monster owner. :)

I've got a paddock stand you can have for £10 which is almost new, if you can pick it up. Posting is a pain because of size and weight.
It's a Micron one (purple thought) but I hardly used it before I changed bikes.

Hey you may have deal there mate. Where in london are you? Will it fit my 95 M600 without any problems? I need to be able to adjust the chain and stuff.

Bu yeah i'm keen on it bud.

J.P
12-08-2008, 04:10 PM
I live in SE4, Brockley, near Lewisham.
The micron stand has adjustable bungs to meet the different widths of the swingarms.

YellaMonsta
13-08-2008, 09:04 AM
Hey you have a deal. :)

Can you email me your details and I'll collect it one evening after work. ;)

Dyno_Soar@hotmail.com

I have not got the bike insured £130 TPFT with 5k limited. So now I just need to get out there for a ride.

J.P
13-08-2008, 09:38 AM
Will do now.

Half Pint
13-08-2008, 09:43 AM
welcome to the club..... I think i could have been following you this morning on the old kent road... then again i could be wrong?

YellaMonsta
13-08-2008, 10:21 AM
No not me buddy... but the YellaMonsta could be anywhere and everywhere.

I am so glad i bought a Ducati. Its a so bloomin cool.

BluprintZ
13-08-2008, 11:16 AM
I am so glad i bought a Ducati. Its a so bloomin cool.

As a new Ducati owner, you seem very restrained in your appreciation of the marque!
What you should be saying is "they are sooo feckin' cool", let yourself go a bit, we don't mind.
Since i bought mine in April, i've started to notice the more "mature" fella's seem to be showing the most interest in it.
I came out of Tesco's last Saturday and there were three blokes checking the bike out, two of them had walked off before i got there but the other one was most interested in the monnie, "cool bike" he said.
Seemed that he had a Laverda Montjuic in his garage, that he hadn't ridden for a few years.
Anyway, within ten minutes he was seriously thinking about putting the Laverda up for sale and getting a Ducati, especially when i mentioned that up to a dozen of us usually have a raz up the mountains to Betwys y Coed most Sundays and that he would be most welcome to join us.
You just stand back now`n then and see who shows the most interest in your bike, it's just a bit of fun.
Welcome Yella!

JerryXt
13-08-2008, 11:43 AM
I'm um, not too far from Kingston. Happy to have a chat about monsters and filtering and whatever. Even got a decent coffee machine.

Maybe do a Boxhill run with you soon?

YellaMonsta
13-08-2008, 11:44 AM
Hey I am itching to get on the bike! I'm all geared up and as yet haven't had a chance to even ride it yet. :)

Hey I like the belly pan and rear seat cover on your bike. Gives it a real muscular look. I may do the same on mine. For now I am praying it doesn't rain tonight so I can have a ride out.

YellaMonsta
13-08-2008, 11:48 AM
I'm um, not too far from Kingston. Happy to have a chat about monsters and filtering and whatever. Even got a decent coffee machine.

Maybe do a Boxhill run with you soon?

Yes mate well up for that. I'm workking 7 days a week at the moment (project in crisis) but as soon as I have a day off I'd be up for a ride out.

It would be cool to catch up anyway as I have some real basic Monster questions.

JerryXt
13-08-2008, 12:05 PM
cool - PM'd

YellaMonsta
15-08-2008, 09:13 AM
Have to say I am really pleased with the warm welcome I have recieved.

:)

Headhunter
15-08-2008, 11:17 AM
That's what makes this forum so great.

You'll soon change your opinion though following a few ride outs.