PDA

View Full Version : bridgestone tyres

DANNY WRIDE
07-08-2008, 09:16 PM
is there some bridgestone tyres tht will fit a 54 plate monster wid the standard wheels an which are the best ones to get

slob
08-08-2008, 06:04 AM
If they have to be Bridgestone BT-014 are your best all round choice (120/60 front, 160/60 rear for an M620ie)

Most Monster riders would prefer Pirelli Diabolos, personally I like Michelin Pilot Powers.

Capirex
08-08-2008, 09:14 AM
I went from Diablo, to BT014's, then thanks to a generous offer now use Metzeler Sportec M3's, imo the best to date. FYI bike is an S2R 800.

PeterPoddy
08-08-2008, 04:13 PM
If they have to be Bridgestone BT-014 are your best all round choice (120/60 front, 160/60 rear for an M620ie)

Most Monster riders would prefer Pirelli Diabolos, personally I like Michelin Pilot Powers.

TBH, I'd have thought you'd be better with 021s, the sport-touring tyre.
The 014 is a sports tyre and as such would be wasted on most Monsters unless you're spending a lot of time on a track. The 021 is a superb tyre, I used them on my Speed Triple to great effect. They are perfect for the road and will last longer than an 014. I used to get over 5500 miles on the heavy, powerful old Triple. I'd expect nearer 7k on a little Monster.

:D

CK & AK
08-08-2008, 04:47 PM
The 014 will give you much better feed back on a monster if you do go down the BT route, rather than any others in their range.

Thats said, we tend to mainly use Pirelli's in their various forms for our bikes, tho one is sporting Dunlops at the moment......for this month...

Danny, what do you do with your bike? Mainly motorways? commuting in 30's & 40's? twisties etc? track riding? or a bit of everything? The use of the bike will often help in making a good decision for tyres.

:)

DANNY WRIDE
08-08-2008, 09:21 PM
The 014 will give you much better feed back on a monster if you do go down the BT route, rather than any others in their range.

Thats said, we tend to mainly use Pirelli's in their various forms for our bikes, tho one is sporting Dunlops at the moment......for this month...

Danny, what do you do with your bike? Mainly motorways? commuting in 30's & 40's? twisties etc? track riding? or a bit of everything? The use of the bike will often help in making a good decision for tyres.

mainly twisties no motorways an some comutin 3 miles to work

CK & AK
08-08-2008, 09:42 PM
Hi Danny, is there any reason for wanting the Dunlops mate? - are they something you are happy with & already have on the bike?

As Slob said above, you might find the Pirelli Diablo range would suit - many use them on here, and indeed the desmo due race series has used the std ones, now going into its 4th year with the 600's & 620's.
Might be worth you getting a 'scrubbed' race set from one of the racers to see how you get on with them, as they usually sell them off for about £40 - 50 for a pair. Ask Yantheman - he brought a set of race scrubs for his 620ie a month or so ago with plenty of road tread on them

MInd you, tyres are very 'personal' things (as you'll have no doubt found when doing a search) as everyone has an opinion about this type & that type :)

Good luck,

CK

DANNY WRIDE
08-08-2008, 09:45 PM
Hi Danny, is there any reason for wanting the Dunlops mate? - are they something you are happy with & already have on the bike?

As Slob said above, you might find the Pirelli Diablo range would suit - many use them on here, and indeed the desmo due race series has used the std ones, now going into its 4th year with the 600's & 620's.
Might be worth you getting a 'scrubbed' race set from one of the racers to see how you get on with them, as they usually sell them off for about £40 - 50 for a pair. Ask Yantheman - he brought a set of race scrubs for his 620ie a month or so ago with plenty of road tread on them

MInd you, tyres are very 'personal' things (as you'll have no doubt found when doing a search) as everyone has an opinion about this type & that type :)

Good luck,

CK

runnin on diablos at mo dont realy think much of em jus heard tht bridgestone were makin the tyres everyone talkin bout

PeterPoddy
09-08-2008, 07:13 AM
The 014 will give you much better feed back on a monster if you do go down the BT route, rather than any others in their range. :)

Feedback? On a 620? Eh? I doubt 95% of rides would know the difference.
014s/sports tyres are a waste of money - They'll only work better at silly corner speeds which the bike won't do. At normal road speeds, you'll be better with a sports-touring tyre. Sounds like you're sucked in by the hype there, matey! :)

I can deck my 696 out on the 'obsolete' BT57s it came fitted with (See this thread - http://www.ukmonster.co.uk/monster/showthread.php?t=29140 ) and if you think you need a sports tyre on a Monster, you're either kidding yourself or a track day hero, which is fair enough. The sports/touring tyres have been proven to be better for general road riding in terms of grip (in all conditions) stability and wear, and that's all most people need.
I'll be sticking 021s on mine when the 57s wear out, because they are cheap readily available and having had a few sets of them I know they work and last well.....But I'm off the edge of the old 57s already, with no worries.

CK & AK
09-08-2008, 07:30 AM
014s/sports tyres are a waste of money - They'll only work better at silly corner speeds which the bike won't do. At normal road speeds, you'll be better with a sports-touring tyre. Sounds like you're sucked in by the hype there, matey! :)

I can deck my 696 out on the 'obsolete' BT57s it came fitted with (See this thread - http://www.ukmonster.co.uk/monster/showthread.php?t=29140 ) and if you think you need a sports tyre on a Monster, you're either kidding yourself or a track day hero, which is fair enough. The sports/touring tyres have been proven to be better for general road riding in terms of grip (in all conditions) stability and wear, and that's all most people need.
I'll be sticking 021s on mine when the 57s wear out, but I'm off the edge of the 57s already with no worries.

Peter, you are entitled to your own opinions :)
However, please dont tell us we have been 'sucked in' by hype.
We've had quite a number of Monsters since early 2002, we've also raced 2 in various guises also over the past 4 years, and have used many different tyres on them too.
We dont want to argue, and on here all folks are entitled to their own opinions, but you do seem to keep rubbishing many things we type - from the 696 exhaust onwards.....we are not sure why.
Deep breath Peter -tis the real world out there too, so try not to be too condescending to us and others here - people you dont even know. Thanks :) Its not usual on this message board for folks to rubbish others - we all usually get along well and try & help out others if we can, without being quite so forthright........

Danny, quite a number use the Pirelli Super Corse's on their bikes (ask Mutters & DougDucati for starters). There are a number who use their bikes hard - its really up to the individual as everyones riding style is different. Hence why there are so many differing suggestions on a number of threads on here :)
Good luck with whatever you choose.

Blind Alan
09-08-2008, 08:33 AM
I have just put a pair of 016s on the monster, once the weather dries :( up and we can get them scrubbed in will let you know what their like.

slob
09-08-2008, 01:41 PM
feel the difference ...too right!
trackday hero ...possibly? don't ask me, ask others who've ridden with me, both road and track.
monster, a sportsbike? ...888 derived chassis, see off most jap sportsbikes in all but a straight line!

for the sake of a few quid I'll have the stickier rubber with the feel/feedback thanks.
my order of preference is still 1.Pilot Power 2.BT-014 3. Diabolo

CK & AK
09-08-2008, 02:00 PM
feel the difference ...too right!
trackday hero ...possibly? don't ask me, ask others who've ridden with me, both road and track.
monster, a sportsbike? ...888 derived chassis, see off most jap sportsbikes in all but a straight line!

for the sake of a few quid I'll have the stickier rubber with the feel/feedback thanks.
my order of preference is still 1.Pilot Power 2.BT-014 3. Diabolo

do you have much experience Slob or are you also sucked in by hype?

AK ;)

slob
09-08-2008, 02:03 PM
I even have the t-shirt.

slob
09-08-2008, 02:07 PM
...oh and and around 40k miles and 15 trackdays on a mixture of mostly BT-010, 020 and 014 on monsters in recent years, among other things.

Yorkie
09-08-2008, 02:10 PM
Ive just got some old stock Diablo's (Super corsa's???) for my Monsters make over, very sticky, mind you i did have Pilot Race soft on before and they were very good, and you can wear them out all the way to the cord!!!! (Infact it was quite difficult to see if they were ever fitted with wear limiters!!)

Im not sucked in by the hype .... i just like cheap and sticky! (Like my nights out!!!)

Yorkie.

Seb_uk
10-08-2008, 12:32 PM
TBH, I'd have thought you'd be better with 021s, the sport-touring tyre.
The 014 is a sports tyre and as such would be wasted on most Monsters unless you're spending a lot of time on a track. The 021 is a superb tyre, I used them on my Speed Triple to great effect. They are perfect for the road and will last longer than an 014. I used to get over 5500 miles on the heavy, powerful old Triple. I'd expect nearer 7k on a little Monster.

:D

I have 021's on my 695 - they're ok, but to be honest I find them a bit vague in terms of feedback. They do wear well though - I reckon about 7k lifespan is about right.

I think I'll go for a sports tyre next time, either 014's or maybe diablos. My bike felt more nimble on the OE Bridgestone 056's which were more of a sports tyre. I suppose it depends how much motorway riding you do really as to whether to go for a sports touring tyre or not.

Blind Alan
20-08-2008, 08:43 PM
I have just put a pair of 016s on the monster, once the weather dries :( up and we can get them scrubbed in will let you know what their like.

Well so far so good, altho we have not had perfect weather up here, the 016's seem to be very good. :)

Zimbo
20-08-2008, 09:26 PM

Sorry but that's absolute tosh. I and many other monster riders use their bikes hard and fast, road track and race, and we are only too aware of the limitations of the bike. They will, with very little work, carry silly amounts of corner speed, certainly more than enough to overwhelm a "touring" tyre. Yes they run out of ground clearance but high level cans, rearsets and raised suspension quickly sorts that out, the frame is very capable and the suspension can be made to work very well indeed with a little work. Many of us are sliding standard Diablos on grippy dry tracks because of high corner speeds, and the lap times Desmodue racers put in on 620 monsters are very respectable indeed, in any company. Without seeing the standard of riding in question you can't possibly say a sports tyre isn't suitable.

Capo
20-08-2008, 09:59 PM
Yes I can discern the difference in feedback. I noticed a big difference between the Pilot Sport and the Pilot Powers.

Nickj
20-08-2008, 10:06 PM
Switched from the standard Conti's to Dunlops (they were cheap).
Can I notice a difference?
I guess the fact that I'm running as quick in the wet on the Dunlops as in the dry with the Conti's and feel quite confident doing it means I probably do.
I do sometimes find I'm carrying a bit too much speed into some corners, usually on a sharp sequence of 90's just up the road from me, in the wet this gives me bit of drift down camber.
It's not really worth notching on the tyres to a stickier compound without working on the suspension.
Yep I can notice the difference between tyres.

That'll be 30 odd years of bikes, two seasons on a 250 Desmo when I was a boy, years of enduros and riding all weathers on all sorts of tyres experiential kind of thing

yantheman
21-08-2008, 08:43 AM
Thats me who bought a pair of ex DD race Diablo at Brands :) Very nice compared to the Dragon Evo I had on the bike (I believe they are touring tyres).

The Diablos give better feedback for sure. I didn't know when I had the Dragon Evos on the bike, Diablos are sharper and communicate more about the road surface.

I've never tried BT though so don't really know. As for value for money... nothing can beat £40 for a set of good tyres :D I would buying another set just for spares. :D

Chris & Nean
21-08-2008, 11:32 AM
I went from 014's to Conti sport's, I cant detect any diference cept for the Conti seem to be wearing well, I doubt I'v been much more than 50% of these tires cababilitys anyway, but its nice to know their sticky and make my motorcycling as safe as possible.

Seb_uk
21-08-2008, 01:45 PM
I've just switched from Bridgestone 021 (sports touring) to some ex race Pirelli dragon supercorsa pros. I'm not the best rider in the world, but I can certainly tell the difference - the bike handles much better with the supercorsas and I can go into corners noticeably quicker. I definately prefer a sports tyre.