PDA

View Full Version : S4Rs Power commander

barbican
07-08-2008, 11:01 AM
At last they have released one for the S4R(s),

http://www.powercommander.com/powercommander_iii_usb/powercommander_all_downloads.aspx?mk=5&mdl=193&yr=2008

I wonder if it will make any noticeable difference - anybody got one?

I feel I will shortly be wasting some money :-)

Stafford
07-08-2008, 11:33 AM
Probably me but I can only see an S4R listed, still no S2R 1000 as well.

J.P
07-08-2008, 11:48 AM
I've had a PCIII fitted to my bike for all this year. All fitted by Pro Twins in Surry and the dyno work done by HR Racing in Orpington, Kent.

It did make a big difference to the smoothness of the power delivery and also just allows you to get the full potential out of the engine. 140 bhp at the back wheel.
But, you have to change the ECU to the Ducati Performance chip. That chip then excludes the lambda sensor in the exhaust manifold. Otherwide you can't map any of the rev range below 4,000 because the standard chip will just counter any change you make.

barbican
07-08-2008, 11:58 AM
JP I was getting 137 RWBHP with the DP chip on the last bike, but smooth it wasn't! so I think your experience suggests it'll do what I want. The new bike has the DP chip as part of the Termi setup so all should be good

Stafford - Yes it says S4r on the link to PC site, but given its the 07 and 08 model years, and they use the same engine electrics etc it should fit. They don't have a map for the Termi's so it will be dynoed anyway.

So it looks likes raised eyebrows and a sigh from Julie when the next statement arrives :-)

Stafford
07-08-2008, 12:04 PM
I
But, you have to change the ECU to the Ducati Performance chip. That chip then excludes the lambda sensor in the exhaust manifold. Otherwide you can't map any of the rev range below 4,000 because the standard chip will just counter any change you make.

I do have the Performance chip, but without the Lambda connected it runs like a bag of cack.

J.P
07-08-2008, 12:32 PM
I bet it does Stafford. But surely a good bit of dyno time will put that right ?

And as I understand it, the PCIII is just a little interface box, it talks to the ECU and makes everything fine. Shouldn't that be the same for all models rather than S4R, S2R etc ?

barbican
07-08-2008, 12:47 PM
And as I understand it, the PCIII is just a little interface box, it talks to the ECU and makes everything fine. Shouldn't that be the same for all models rather than S4R, S2R etc ?

Yes it just intercepts the signal from the ECU to the injectors, and modifies the values, so as long as the plugs n wires fit correctly it'll work. The map determines what effect it has. The canned ones from the website are OK but a Dyno run is the best way to be certain.

J.P
07-08-2008, 01:04 PM
the only place Pro Twins could find to fit mine that was out of the way, was underneath the ignition lock and stuck to the front of the airbox. And I think it only fitted because I had an open airbox .

JerryXt
07-08-2008, 01:05 PM
Barbi, my S4Rs is smooth. Raw, but smooth. Apart from under 4k I suppose. Runs like a bag of sh*te under 4.

Where was yours not??

JerryXt
07-08-2008, 01:07 PM
...and JP, that's only cos you've got all that other stuff on yours!

J.P
07-08-2008, 01:12 PM
the Sat nav, intercom, luggage rack & heated glove cables do bog it down a bit you're right.

Stafford
07-08-2008, 01:18 PM
the Sat nav, intercom, luggage rack & heated glove cables do bog it down a bit you're right.

Bet there a lot of use on a track day, no wonder you can't go any faster.

so as long as the plugs n wires fit correctly it'll work.

And there's the problem, still the crickets going well, for the moment.

J.P
07-08-2008, 01:38 PM
Bet there a lot of use on a track day, no wonder you can't go any faster.

The sat nav helps me when I'm approaching the corner.
The intercom lets me phone someone for advice as I approach it, and the luggage rack is just in case I crash, I can carry all the bits back to the paddock.
And the heated gloves cable, is a bit excessive you're right.. :)

barbican
07-08-2008, 11:08 PM
Barbi, my S4Rs is smooth. Raw, but smooth. Apart from under 4k I suppose. Runs like a bag of sh*te under 4.

Where was yours not??

Up to about 5.5k it didnt feel happy, and the dyno charts showed the fueling wasn't good untill after this, plus there was a bit of a hole in the torque curve at around the 5.5 area. The new bikes very smooth in terms of ballance, much better than the 06 bike, but similar in how the engine pulls from low down.

Capo
08-08-2008, 12:15 AM
Mine went bad, I would not consider another.
Nemisis is the way to go

JerryXt
08-08-2008, 09:05 AM
that's interesting. I' had one one my Xt and it was ok. Little asbo has one too - helps it manage 140.7 at the wheel :D

desmo
08-08-2008, 09:42 PM
Going through all this drama at the mo with my S2R1000.
My bike is running very lean at the mo, as someone said a Powercommander will have no effect below about 33% thottle opening with the standard ecu.
The DP ecu is really expensive & possibly with a PC111 & dyno time on top you are looking at the thick end of a grand!!!
I am considering a Ultimap U59 ecu.
I didn't think Nemises made an ecu for the aircooled monsters?

Ducati certainly havn't made things easy with regard to fueling changes since they started fitting Lamba sensors, a quick look around the net tells me that lots of others are suffering the same gremlins as me.