PDA

View Full Version : Advice Needed - Grips

NewMon
05-08-2008, 07:06 PM
Hi all. I want to change my handlebar grips for a new set I bought t'other day. Has anyone got any top tips for removing the old ones (intact if possible) and fitting the new ones? The old 'uns don't appear to be bonded - I can get them peeled halfway off.

slob
05-08-2008, 07:47 PM
Get a long thin electrical screwdiver, carefully slip it between the bar and grip, now theres a bit of a gap squirt some wd40 or similar in there and the grip will just slide off with a bit of twisting.
(or just cut the old ones off with a stanley knife if you don't want them)
Be a bit gentle on the throttle side so you don't damage the plastic twistgrip.
Now clean off all traces of wd 40 if you didn't go the cutting route.
The new grips are different sizes, the one with the bigger inside diameter goes on the throttle side.*
Spray some hairspray into the grip and immediately slide it into place (the hairspray acts as a lubricant when wet and a glue once dry) unless of course your grips came with some sort of proprietary 'special' grip glue.

* Some Ducatis have a radius at the switchgear end of the twistgrip, this can be a PITA when fitting other grips, although it can be removed with a file or very careful use of a grinder.

Headhunter
05-08-2008, 07:47 PM
Mine peeled off in one go but had to give one a bit of welly.

Not sure how you're trying to take it off:

1. Peeling it off like a condom, so it kind off rolls in on it self (only way a bloke's mind can describe it)

2. Pulling it horiziontally with no folding in, so it looks completely untouched but with half the grip hanging off?

Naturally I used the 1st approach and had no problems. Only other suggestion is to soak it with soapy water, so there's slippery film between grip and bar.

Zimbo
05-08-2008, 08:06 PM
Basically, Slob has covered it all, do exactly as he suggests!

NewMon
05-08-2008, 08:30 PM
Brilliant. Thanks Slob, Headhunter and Zimbo. I'll be on it tomorrow. Hairspray! - I'd have never worked that one out.

NewMon
06-08-2008, 06:12 PM
The follow up on this is simple: Job done. I had to go and buy some hairspray though. A house full of women/girls and none to be found - who'd've believed it!

slob
06-08-2008, 06:21 PM
I bought a little handbag sized can of 'extra-hold' stuff that I keep in the garage. No one in or house uses the stuff.

Zimbo
06-08-2008, 09:41 PM
Strangely, the only tin of hairspray in our house is the tin in my garage too :) I had to buy my own.

NewMon
06-08-2008, 10:24 PM
That's it then. proved conclusively. Monster owners all have hairspray. Or is it Monster Owners don't use hairspray? Have you seen that Hairspray film? Er...