PDA

View Full Version : Racing sponsors

neilbaldry
04-08-2008, 07:08 PM
Rcently, I have found that when I go to buy a product, if its a sponsor of a bike racing team, I tend to buy it over a competitors product who doesnt sponsor a bike racing team.

For example:

Relentless energy drinks
Airwaves gum

Anyone do similar?

CK & AK
04-08-2008, 07:11 PM
oops, saw the title & thought " Hmm, wonder if Neil wants to help out with sponsoring our team" :D

C, apologies for not getting it right Neil :)

Albie
04-08-2008, 07:40 PM
Must get SAINSBURY'S to sponsor Ducati and save £'s.

Yes I do agree you tend to want to buy what your heroes promote or wear. I brought Dainese because Fogarty wore them and AGV cos Rossi wore it. Pirellis because they are proven quality enough to race a series on. Oakleys cos they look cool.

Nonnie
04-08-2008, 07:55 PM
I bought a Stylophone coz I really lurve Rolf Harris.

Does this count?

Capo
04-08-2008, 09:09 PM
It's a good thing to support the sponsors who support the sport.
They will be measuring the effect of the sponsorship on their sales, if it works we benefit.

slob
04-08-2008, 09:41 PM
http://www.bikernet.com/news/images/PhotoID24940.jpg

neilbaldry
04-08-2008, 10:17 PM
oops, saw the title & thought " Hmm, wonder if Neil wants to help out with sponsoring our team" :D

C, apologies for not getting it right Neil :)

Maybe you should get a 2 seat desmo?

alreadyinuse
04-08-2008, 10:51 PM
Half the time i have no idea what the sponsors are.
Especially in wsbk and moto gp.
what the feck is Alice?
whats kera Kol?
whats Vent Axion?

I only recently learnt that hanspree are cheap **** tellies

i have no idea where to get wudy hot dogs.

so have you bought tena for men yet? ;)

Nonnie
05-08-2008, 07:42 AM
what the feck is Alice?
;)

But you've been living next door .....

It's pronounced al-eee-chey and is a telecommunications business.

neilbaldry
05-08-2008, 08:47 AM
Vent Axia, as I saw yesterday make extractor fans. Theres one an work in the gents.....

As for Wudy hotdogs, I would say that supermarket thats cheap and sells the european brands is a good shout, but I cant remember the name.

BluprintZ
05-08-2008, 10:42 AM
My mate had a sponsor called "Death Cigarettes" in the early `90's.
You could call that bad taste, considering the sport that we follow and the terrible crash that ended the career of Craig Jones this weekend.
Charlotte and Andy know only too well how much it costs to keep their show on the road and the associated risks involved.
I was in the thick of it with my mate in the mid `90's, all of the "gang" would help him out in any way they could, i did several stints as pit crew for him at the TT and the Skerries, as did loads of the other mates, conscription i think it's called ; )
He re-mortgaged his house early on to the tune of 11k, so he could carry on doing what he loved doing, racing.
So when Death Ciggies approached him, he grabbed the deal with both hands, because they took a lot of the financial strain off him, he didn't need to shell out for tyres or oil for a couple of seasons, until he was told by the organisers at the TT, to cover up the sponsors logo (a skull and cross-bones), or don't bother putting your leathers on, they considered it bad taste.
It was just unfortunate that it wasn't an engineering firm, or the local garage that sponsored him but it was a cigarette manufacturer and one that used a name and logo that some found offensive, so he had to let them go and start paying for his tyres, etc again.
Would the Knight team have accepted such sponsorship?
If i had ten grand spare, i'd phone Charlotte in a heartbeat, because i know how stressful running a racing team can be, i was in at the thick of it for a couple of years and there were a lot of tears shed in that time, especially when they lost the sponsor.

CK & AK
05-08-2008, 04:15 PM
Would the Knight team have accepted such sponsorship?

as I smoke like a chimney (at the moment, still, trying o think about giving up - ish) .... then probably :D - but we couldnt in the series we are doing as it IS televised, so nobody can promote ciggys etc

If i had ten grand spare, i'd phone Charlotte in a heartbeat, because i know how stressful running a racing team can be, i was in at the thick of it for a couple of years and there were a lot of tears shed in that time, especially when they lost the sponsor.

Blimey! :eek: I havent even met you yet - but I luv yooooo! :cool:
Will deffo be making you a cuppa when we come to Anglesey - and hope you are setting aside all 3 days to come & join us! :D

CK

BluprintZ
05-08-2008, 07:18 PM
Will deffo be making you a cuppa when we come to Anglesey - and hope you are setting aside all 3 days to come & join us! :D
CK

Hi Charlotte`n Andy.
Yep, i'll be there and so will some of the Anglesey crew and bugger the weather.
I've been recruiting like mad (twisting the odd arm occasionally), so there should be a decent crowd coming to support Clint and Paul.
Take note the rest of you and treat yourselves to a brill weekend on the beautiful Ynys Mon (no, i don't work for the local tourist board) and support CK, AK and the crew, no excuses please, info can be found on their website.

http://www.knightroadraceteam.co.uk