PDA

View Full Version : Transponder Advice

Stuart42
04-08-2008, 05:04 PM
Hi all

after my return to racing at The Southern 100 in July the racing bug has re awakened in me and so am looking to do an Irish road race in September, and fingers crossed some more next year, as such I need a transponder.

Now in my day, swing that lantern, we never used these so am looking for advice on best place to buy and if a particular model is better than another?

I've been told that there are two types, rechargeable and direct charge?

My initial thoughts are to go for the rechargeable version as I don't run a generator on my bike so would be drawing from the battery all the time and would seem easier to charge a transponder rather than a battery, the one I hired for The Southern lasted at least 3 days.

Many thanks for your thoughts.
--
Cheers

Stuart

slob
04-08-2008, 06:21 PM
Rechargeable seems to work fine. I'd pose the question on the DSC board as that's the home of DesmoDue racing, you'll probably get a more informed response.

Gilps
04-08-2008, 06:28 PM
The model we all use in DD is the AMB 260. Here's a link
http://www.sportstimingservices.com/modules/shop/view.asp?catid=11&Prodcode=AMB%20260%20transponder
I'm a bit gob smacked as this is the place I bought mine from last year for £230. That site is now listing it for nearly £300. Ouch. I just sold mine for £150. Oops. Have a hunt around. As Slob says, post up on the DSC forum as I suspect there may be a few up for sale soon.
If you buy one second hand just check how strong the battery is. They cannot be replaced easily as it's a sealed unit. A new fully charged one should blink 5 times when charged, which means it's good for 5 days use before a recharge. They lose about 1 days life per year, so if it's only got a couple of blinks then don't touch it.

CK & AK
04-08-2008, 07:16 PM
Make sure you take it OUT of the holder if its a 2nd hand one, to see if it holds its charge.
Our rider Clint was had over like this earlier this year by a chap who sold him a 'working' one -trouble is it wouldnt hold its charge when out of the charge cradle, and he only found this out when he took delivery of it.

You 'can' pick up 2nd hand ones from £150 - £190 for the rechargeable ones, which are better to use than the hard-wired ones if you dont run a charging system on the bike.
Check out the bike forums - like http://www.motoforum.net/ etc
Or new from AMB at £310 euros!!

CK :)

Stuart42
05-08-2008, 05:13 PM
Hi all

thanks for the advice, I'll let you know how I get on.

Cheers
Stuart

Stuart42
07-08-2008, 08:17 AM
Hi all

after your help the other day I've had a look around and come up with this.

Its a Tranx260 transponder that was bought 3 years ago but has only been used approx six times.

The chap says that it still flashes 5 times after being taken off charge and after an eight hour charge is good for 5 days.

It comes with both chargers and also the holder, everything apart from the original box.

He wants 200 quid, what do you reckon?

Thanks for your help

Cheers
Stuart

CK & AK
07-08-2008, 08:31 AM
Sounds ok Stuart - see if he'll include the postage too :)

Gilps
07-08-2008, 11:52 AM
Sounds reasonable if the 5 flashes are correct. Have you put a post up on the DSC as there may be a few for sale shortly. They are always going to be cheaper out of season.

Stafford
07-08-2008, 12:07 PM
Sounds reasonable if the 5 flashes are correct. Have you put a post up on the DSC as there may be a few for sale shortly. They are always going to be cheaper out of season.

Post on the DSC? Now members only I see.

Gilps
07-08-2008, 12:23 PM
Just seen that one myself. Maybe not post on there then. As plenty of the DD'ers frequent the Ducatisti site it may be worth putting a post up there instead.

Stuart42
07-08-2008, 02:12 PM
Hi all

many thanks for your advice.

The chap is in Isle Of Man and am popping over to see him so can see if all ok.

Thanks once again

Cheers
Stuart

PS
Did post this on DSC but nobody answered, much friendlier lot here;o)