PDA

View Full Version : Anyone done a good tour on a Monster?

Phatty
27-07-2008, 08:43 PM
I'm fancying a proper biking holiday. I've only ever done the TT, and that ain't exactly long distance riding.

I'm thinking of going over to europe and doing a proper week long tour about.

Advisable on a monster? any tips or words of warning?

Ive done plenty of driving on the continent, but never been over on a bike yet.

Jim66a
27-07-2008, 08:56 PM
We usually have a ride to a euro round of either MotoGp or world superbikes. Always a great time. Sooner you do it the better :) We started with not too many miles and a trip to Assen, But this year we rode to the Catalunya MotoGp. Well Recomended.

eddie munster
27-07-2008, 09:11 PM
Hi, I done 3000+ miles from Ireland to Le Mans Moto GP, on down through France and into Switzerland and the Alps... Took it over into Italy just to bring it back home for a day or two and then the back..

I was on a 2000, 600 took 12 days doing it. Great fun and you shouldnt have any problem on the S4. Get a tyre thats not going to square off on the motorway, if your getting a new chain and sprockets before you go put some stretch miles on the chain before.

Keep cash in a handy pocket for motorway tolls. Get GPS or bring a mate who has lol. You can eat quite well at a good price in service station buffets. Cruise at 90-100mph, makes for better economy and doesn't wreck you as much.

Don't worry about getting flashed unless theres a cop around the corner. Stay in IBIS hotels they rule for price and value for money. Loads of Ducati dealers dotted about the place if you get into trouble, internet cafe's are good to visit if your stuck for info. I had a clutch seal fitted by Ducati Geneve and rear pads fitted for free by Cagiva dealer :)

If your getting the ferry put the winch of the strap to the left of the bike, it pulls it down better.

Give a peace sign to every biker you pass... and don't plan anything, go with the flow. :)

crust
27-07-2008, 09:13 PM
I've taken my monster abroad a few times

done the south of France on it, Germany

three of us rode to Misano for World Ducati Week last year

I've no doubt that a few of us will go to World Ducati Week next year as well

Best advice I can give you is, just do it.

Bungy a bag on the back and go.

:)crust

Paivi
27-07-2008, 09:22 PM
Nothing to it on a Monster, especially if you've got the comfort seat. I did a trip to the factory and around the Italian lakes in 2006.

Forget about ferries and take the train instead!

J.P
28-07-2008, 08:31 AM
Humbucker and I did 2,500 miles through France, Switzerland and Italy at the end of June this year. I wasn't on the Monster but Humbucker took his 695. Ran with zero problems for 6 solid days of ridding.

Tips,
1) The 90-100mph criuse Eddie mentioned is perfect for the motorways.
2) Plan on filling up every 100 miles max because some of the motorway service stations may be just this little bit further apart, seemed like every 50 miles, if you don't you'll run out of petrol in the S4 before you get to the 3rd one. And every 100 miles is good for a stretch before you get going again.
3) Get yourself a little money purse to keep your toll money in, and zip your pocket closed before you ride off.
4) Have an idea of the route you're going to take nad if poss. put it in a sat nav. Can make a lot of difference knowing you can just follow a route you've planned to take in all the sights.
5) Secure your luggage well so you don't worry about it but have stuff like passport and wallets etc somewhere easy to get to, you'll be amazed at the number of borders you'll cross (generally without stopping).
6) Take waterproofs. It will probably rain at some point.
7) Get RAC or AA or equivalent road coverage for your trip. You may need it.
8) Stop often, it's easy to pass stuff by. Stop and take photo's all the time to remind you of why you're doing the trip.
9) If you work out a rough time from 'A' to 'B' add plenty more because if you do stop to take photo's, refuel, chat to the locals, that will slow you down a lot.
10) TELL your credit card company where you're going. That way your card will work when you get to all the petrol stations or the automated ones.

J.P
28-07-2008, 08:38 AM
You can catch the French Auto-train from Calais to the South of France, but think about the cost and time. I looked into it for our trip and it was £1028 in June for two bikes return, and the trip from Calais to Nice is 14 hours overnight.
Depending on where you want to go, the South of France may well just drop you in the wrong place anyway, so you'll have paid loads of money, wasted loads of time and then still have to ride to where you want to go.
We decided against that.
There is a train from Germany somewhere into Italy but we didn't look into it.

binky
28-07-2008, 12:46 PM
Did South of France a few years ago on a 900 to play some gigs so had a fair amount of luggage, big tank bag, tail pack and sax on my back a bit uncomfortable but brilliant just the same. 1200 miles each way. No planning at all other than where I was going to, great fun. Also just come back from Ireland on my S2R 1000, 1200 miles in three days, first time over there, roads a bit rough at times but great riding, again no planning just went and stayed were i wanted, good fun and nice people, bike no trouble at all. GO, DON'T PLAN, HAVE FUN :)

Humbucker
28-07-2008, 01:16 PM
As J.P said we just came back from France, Switzerland, and Italy last month. My monster didn't miss a beat and to cruise at 90-100 was fine and wasn't to tiring. Took the train from Folkstone to Calias and in the first day we did nearly 700 miles to Chamonix. Even after the long ride we were still fresh enough for a little ride into town for some dinner. JP had sat nav which was a real bonus. You can do the trip without it, but the sat nav can really take you on to roads that you may easily miss and then miss some stunning scenery and points of interest. Hard luggage is an advantage and is more secure when leaving the bike on its own, although i took soft sports panniers which did the trick and which had a zip of bum bag should i ever leave the bike unattended which i could keep my passport wallet in etc. Invest in very breathable riding wear. JP had the mesh suit but even then we had to stop on occasions to have a sit in the shade, it was just so hot. The credit card point he makes is a good one as i think we both had our cards rejected when stopping for fuel on one ocassion.

The monster is more than capable of doing a good european trip and should you take in the mountain passes the roads really highlight what the monster was designed for, a mixture of flowing lefts and rights where you can just flick the bike about. It was a joy and certainly improved my riding, stelvio Pass especailly.

Wherever you go though enjoy the trip and take plenty of photos