PDA

View Full Version : New Reg Plate.... What now?

colly1980
25-07-2008, 12:50 PM
I'm changing my reg plate to a small one, about 5" x 2". Have not really looked yet to see how its going to fit, but I'm guessing I'll need to modify it cause there is a big plate with the reflector etc.

Has anyone done this, any advice for me?
Thanks

cairojay
25-07-2008, 01:06 PM
I had mine done but I had the whole tail chopped and replaced with a CF jobbie, best mod I've done on the bike - if you go the whole hog and have that its best to get the dealer to do it - I had a go but it was fiddly and I couldn't get it lined up properly as the Carbon fibre wasn't an exact fit (never is apparently) so they had to shape it to get it on properly - have to say though it looks the absolute dogs as a result!

JimmyF
25-07-2008, 01:28 PM
I did it a couple of months ago when I fitted a smaller plate...I lined up the new plate in the position I wanted it, marked the holes, drilled them then mounted the plate. Then I just hacksawed the plastic plate and reflector off flush with the bottom of the number plate. I used coarse sand paper to smooth the edges off. Bit of a cowboy effort but looks good.

w108rna
25-07-2008, 03:19 PM
Just be careful of the law, a small plate will give them an excuse to pull you when they otherwise might not have looked twice. And depending on the place where you get your MOT done, you may have to swop plates on MOT day. I have rolled up to garages in the past for my MOT, asked if my plate will pass or fail, and swopped it over there and then if needed, only to swop back after the test.

I have a small plate with slightly leaned over letters, but it was obviously clear and large enough when i got points for speeding! D'oh!

Mark

alreadyinuse
25-07-2008, 10:38 PM
a small plate will get you a 60 quid fine and 3 points now.

Just be careful of mass bike meetings.

for example the superbikes at knockhill lothian and borders police sit at the slip road to the forth bridge and pull every bike heading to Fife.
they get checked and done for cans plates and visors.
and Fife police nabbed everyon on the way back from the fuel protest.

they had to recoup some of the days policing cost i suppose lol

Kiwi
26-07-2008, 05:59 AM
a small plate will get you a 60 quid fine and 3 points now.

Just be careful of mass bike meetings.

for example the superbikes at knockhill lothian and borders police sit at the slip road to the forth bridge and pull every bike heading to Fife.
they get checked and done for cans plates and visors.
and Fife police nabbed everyon on the way back from the fuel protest.

police have to have a reason to stop you, you should always ask when you are pulled what you are being pulled for - if they have no good answer ride off as they are acting outside of the law

they can not see your plate when you approach them so that is not a reason to stop you

if they stopped every black/regligious/ethinc person for no good reason they would be dragged in front of the courts for discrimination

stopping every motorcyclist is no different

gary tompkins
26-07-2008, 09:39 AM
5 X 2 is really small & bound to get you a tug in these parts

Not worth the hassle with plod IMO

S4R Dude
26-07-2008, 11:22 AM
Kiwi,

Police don't need reason to stop you they have the power to stop any vehicle on the road.

Asking them for their reason and riding off if you are not happy with their answer? You will just get arrested.

Although any-one out there wants to follow your advice? Give it a go!!

(£30 fine and no points, not yet 3 points)

JimmyF
26-07-2008, 02:44 PM
I was told that they do need a good reason to pull you over, but if they don't have one it's not difficult for them to make one up.

...it would have to be a proper **** of a copper to fine you without giving you a caution first

S4R Dude
27-07-2008, 08:43 AM
I was told that they do need a good reason to pull you over, but if they don't have one it's not difficult for them to make one up.

...it would have to be a proper **** of a copper to fine you without giving you a caution first

Mate, they don't need a reason to stop any-one using a motor on the road so they won't make any-thing up. It really is as simple as that.

I use a small plate, i know it's illegal. I would not expect a caution. The copper knows i know it's wrong, i know it's wrong we all know it's wrong. A caution would be nice but pointless really.