PDA

View Full Version : Watching MotoGP in HD on Eurosport....

nambduke
20-07-2008, 09:08 PM
.....WOW!

2 laps in and just brilliant........

neilbaldry
20-07-2008, 09:21 PM
its looking awesome!!!!!

Yorkie
20-07-2008, 09:22 PM
So far the best race i have ever watched!!!

Yorkie.

Yorkie
20-07-2008, 09:47 PM
Laugh i nearly crapped!!!

Val deserved that one!!

Yorkie

Dave G
20-07-2008, 10:12 PM
Rossi did deserve that win, and what an ungracious and unpleasant little tosser Stoner showed himself to be when interviewed in parc ferme.

NewMon
20-07-2008, 10:32 PM
A cracking race. Stoner didn't realise that Rossi made the save of the century when he nearly went into him after leaving the track. Stoner should be kissing Rossi's Arse after that.

nambduke
20-07-2008, 10:38 PM
Laugh i nearly crapped!!!

Val deserved that one!!

Yorkie

Totally agree Yorkie.....but what is it about Stoner?? Bad loser.....he rides the Ducati well, but what a spoilt brat!

Mark Nambduke

BluprintZ
20-07-2008, 10:47 PM
Did anyone else pick up on Stoners missus' face?
Her expression never changed, even when he dropped the bike!
I like you Casey but Val deserved the win, brilliant race!

gary tompkins
20-07-2008, 11:09 PM
I've gotta say I thought they were both history when Rossi overcooked it at the corkscrew. It was a great dice though up until Stoner dropped it. Pity Toseland slipped back a few places towards the end, but looks like his tyres were shot to bits.

albs
20-07-2008, 11:21 PM
Rossi did deserve that win, and what an ungracious and unpleasant little tosser Stoner showed himself to be when interviewed in parc ferme.

completely agree.the bloke has no class,he does however have very sophisticated electronics which adjust the engine mapping for every corner as he arrives at the corner ,just like an F1 (ferrari)car.

neilbaldry
21-07-2008, 09:18 AM
Its a pity Stoner overcooked it going into the last corner. did you see the back end rise up?! Iwonder what he would have done towards the end, had he been right up Valentinik's arse!?

Looks like Vale had the only place Stoner could do him covered by sending him round the outside on the start finish straight.

God damn it, I didnt see the post race interviews............ Were they any good?

sprintbint
21-07-2008, 09:28 AM
Basically, Stoner was his usual whinging self and showing himself to be a complete tosser.

mikej
21-07-2008, 09:29 AM
The interviews are worth a watch. Just Stoner being a petulant brat, refusing to shake hands and generally going in a massive huff, and Rossi being funny as per usual.

He might ride a Ducati but i'm so glad Stoner lost.

You can watch them on bbc iplayer or on moto gp.com.

Kato
21-07-2008, 10:14 AM
Rossi being funny as per usual.

Rossi is nothing more than a clown, OK he's got a bit of talent but stoner is by far a better racer...

Scott1
21-07-2008, 10:34 AM
There was a thread on here recently about why some of the crowd were boing Stoner after the British Moto GP, this is why, he just really gets people's backs up and comes across so godamn unsporting and annoying, I'm not advocating the booing but you can see why some are inclined to do it.

Saying that I do think he's a damn good rider but for some reason, I want to see him go to another team and do it again so he can prove himself beyond doubt.

I still hope Rossi wins in the end.

mikej
21-07-2008, 10:50 AM
Rossi is nothing more than a clown, OK he's got a bit of talent but stoner is by far a better racer...

I hope that is a joke to get the thread going?

alreadyinuse
21-07-2008, 11:07 AM
Kato what had you been smoking?

Yep thats why people hate Stoner.
He threw the teddy out of the pram.

Valentino has had battles like that with far better riders than Stoner.
Caperossi Biaggi Gibernau. Some of the passing was alot rougher.
and none of them spat the dummy.

I watched it on BBC 2 cos i only have freeview.

the commentteray isnt as good but at least theres no ads

Stafford
21-07-2008, 11:44 AM
I seem to recall it's been previously said that Stoner is great when he can get in front and escape, but not so good when he has to fight in a race.
He's not really covered himself in glory after chucking his toys out the pram.
Rossi a deserved win.

Humbucker
21-07-2008, 11:48 AM

LOL. Kato are you feeling OK. A bit of talent will not win you 7 World Titles.

Stoner is a very good rider granted. But i dont think he would be as close to Rossi as he his if they were still riding minus traction control on the 990's or 500's.

alreadyinuse
21-07-2008, 12:03 PM
good point humbucker the comentators pointed that out last night that Stoners traction control was doing alot of work.
Its not fool proof you dont just snap open the throttle and let the traction controll sort it for you. But stoner relies on his much more than rossi.

Mand
21-07-2008, 12:52 PM
Never mind the racing.... I was in awe of Lorenzo's highside - he got some proper height again didn't he? :biggrin:

I thought Rossi was brilliant - a true legend, a well deserved win.

alreadyinuse
21-07-2008, 01:02 PM
if Lorenzo can get over this crashing thing hes got he'll be a contender

remember stoners first season on the satelite Honda? he used to tear off infront or be righ up there with the leaders then all of a sudden the bike would shoot past without him.

slob
21-07-2008, 01:06 PM
Never mind the racing.... I was in awe of Lorenzo's highside - he got some proper height again didn't he?

I thought Rossi was brilliant - a true legend, a well deserved win.

I reckon Gorgeous George needs a pilot's license the way he does that.

Vale was awesome!
I'm reserving judgement on Casey's reaction until he's had a chance to see a video of himself NOT getting taken out at the corkscrew, we're all able to make rash statements when the adrenalin's still flowing.

although as Burgess said afterwards, If Stoner had been racing 500s in the '80s and '90s he'd have been racing like that every week.

Mand
21-07-2008, 01:10 PM
I reckon Gorgeous George needs a pilot's license the way he does that.

Vale was awesome!
I'm reserving judgement on Casey's reaction until he's had a chance to see a video of himself NOT getting taken out at the corkscrew, we're all able to make rash statements when the adrenalin's still flowing.

Agreed, because they looked pretty pally when there were on rostrum didn't they? The thing is if Stoner shows he was riled, Vale will use that to his advantage and mentally destroy him.

That aside, it was fantastic racing and we need more of that!

neilbaldry
21-07-2008, 01:17 PM
Well Brno is a pretty fast track, so maybe there will be more opportunity for Stoner to overtake. The M1 had the whipping of the D16 everywhere except the start/finish straight.

slob
21-07-2008, 02:18 PM
The M1 had the whipping of the D16 everywhere except the start/finish straight.

Disagree completely, the D16RR clearly had a bit more power, just not enough to pass Rossi and make it stick.

Blah blah
21-07-2008, 07:35 PM
Cracking race. It was unfortunate that Stoner binned it cos it was lining up to be a real scrap in the last few laps, BUT it wasn't the first time he'd outbraked himself, or made a mistake. Stoner was the quickest around the track, and the Ducati is awesomely fast down the straights, but he didn't have the ability to pass and make it stick which is why he didn't win.

End.
Of.
Story

All I'll say to Stoner is that riding the wheels off uncompetitive machinery, hard overtaking and fairing bashing, (commonly called 'racing') will only improve the ratings, which is what it's all about really, putting on a show to entertain the masses. Why do you think Rossi has loads of fans ?? Cos he does (and has done) all of the above all of the time, and for this very reason I've followed him since his 125 days

Better stop rambling now...

Albie
21-07-2008, 07:40 PM
completely agree.the bloke has no class,he does however have very sophisticated electronics which adjust the engine mapping for every corner as he arrives at the corner ,just like an F1 (ferrari)car.

Vali also has sophisticated electronics lets not get this out of context. They both had equal machinery and rode like men almost to the death. Thats where it went wrong and its obvious to me that Casey's adrenalin woke him up that it was too tough and not going his way. I think its his lack of experiance in that situation that got the better of him. We've all done it and I hold my hand's up to doing so at points in my life. He just didnt realise how close they came to coming a cropper. Casey did well to have such a lead with Val to be able to drop it and finish second. He deserved at least to have good points.

Valentino was man enough to not get involved in a slanging match and I feel he deserved to win after that battle. Had it been in cars they wouldnt have had such a death defying race. It would have been like Senna /Prost and Schumacher/Hill. One nerf and the otherones gone off.

Im glad Casey saw the error of his ways on the podium and was gracious enough to shake hands and talk to Vals boss ( maybe cos he's an aussie and he said " mate , only POM's whinge so you'd better stop mate or they think you are one "

Mrs stoner was probs having kittens underneath. I did notice she was completey emotionless. Maybe her way of hiding fear.

Cracking race and best man won. Better luck next time Casey

slob
21-07-2008, 07:42 PM
She looked pretty green all the way through didn't she, more 'hospital waiting room' than GP paddock.

gremlin
21-07-2008, 07:45 PM
I was cross with Stoner for being such a spoilt brat, Rossi way outclassed him, none of the overtakes were particularly rough. It was proper racing, obviously Stoner has got used to disappearing into the distance and not having to actually work hard for his placing. Lets hope there is more of the same for the rest of the season. Poor little Jorge though, that was a launch and a half, just hope he hasn't set back his mending too much, although breaking a metatarsal is going to do slow things up. Having said that little Bradley was back racing 22 hours after doing his and at least Jorge has a month to recover.

Albie
21-07-2008, 07:47 PM
It was bad enough for me and caroline on the sofa..

Scared me silly hoping they wouldn't crash. You need this kind of racing at times.

In BSB shakey took out Harris but carl was ok about it. Boss man was happy at time.but Haslams always taking guys out now. Me thinks hes going backwards on the honda.

Albie
21-07-2008, 07:49 PM
I was cross with Stoner for being such a spoilt brat, Rossi way outclassed him, none of the overtakes were particularly rough. It was proper racing, obviously Stoner has got used to disappearing into the distance and not having to actually work hard for his placing. Lets hope there is more of the same for the rest of the season. Poor little Jorge though, that was a launch and a half, just hope he hasn't set back his mending too much, although breaking a metatarsal is going to do slow things up. Having said that little Bradley was back racing 22 hours after doing his and at least Jorge has a month to recover.

I agree with your sentiments. Me and Caroline both yelled with horror when Jorge went to the heavens. Poor guy must be devasted again.

walkingpictures
21-07-2008, 08:50 PM
The interviews are worth a watch. Just Stoner being a petulant brat, refusing to shake hands and generally going in a massive huff, and Rossi being funny as per usual.

He might ride a Ducati but i'm so glad Stoner lost.

You can watch them on bbc iplayer or on moto gp.com.

Actually,not that it really bothers me,they shook hands on the podium,it was a great race.

Kimbo

gremlin
21-07-2008, 08:59 PM
It was bad enough for me and caroline on the sofa..

Scared me silly hoping they wouldn't crash. You need this kind of racing at times.

In BSB shakey took out Harris but carl was ok about it. Boss man was happy at time.but Haslams always taking guys out now. Me thinks hes going backwards on the honda.

Thinking the same about Haslam, it's a pity he couldn't go up to WSB to replace Troy, he seems far better on Dukes. I don't see why he didn't wait until all the faffing about was done and stay with Airwaves. I guess the money was better with Honda and the team had won so he must have thought he was onto something. It's a shame, while he's being so inconsistent he won't get a different ride.

makemdan
21-07-2008, 09:51 PM

rofl, a BIT of talent. I've watched him from his 125 days and he's always shone above the rest. Most of the other successful GP riders over the decades have achieved success on one brand (Doohan/Honda springs to mind as an example) and stuck with it whereas Rossi left guaranteed success with Honda and took a bike that wasn't winning to the top of the tree. Not only is he a very talented rider he also gets the best out of the bike mechanically and can get the right kind of feedback to the pit crew. All the tech gizmos in the world can't substitute rider feedback. I just wish he hadn't resigned for Yam. Rossi on a Duke at Mugello, now THAT would be worth a trip.

If Rossi's a clown I wish I was half as funny

craigie
21-07-2008, 10:02 PM
Personally I think that was one of the dirtiest races I've seen c play, and it wasn't that dirty but because he is usually so classy a couple of those moves seemed a little bit woo, a little bit wah.
Most of it was fantastic racing and as for Stoner being petulant, he is passionate about his racing and at least he gets angry and speaks his mind instead of some professional gobbledegook or mincing (Sete) around parc ferme. Says what he thinks and goes fast on a bike that no one else can ride. They all have electronics and Stoner did pretty good on a non factory 250 and non factory 125. In fact, I think, the first time he gets a proper factory ride he wins a world championship.
I am more sick of people winging about Stoner than I am of his winging.

Rossi is great but he does seem to be becoming a gurning caricature of himself, more of a brand than a man.

It's only racing.......

slob
21-07-2008, 10:14 PM
I agree with most of that Craigie but "It's only racing......."??? WHERE'S YOUR SENSE OF PROPORTION MAN!!!

Chris & Nean
21-07-2008, 10:45 PM
Stop picking on Stoner for what his wife looks like, next remember he’s a champion, then look where his team mates are, and then forget about his goofy teeth and that he ain’t ridden a Yamaha yet.

gary tompkins
21-07-2008, 11:15 PM
I recall Rossie & Biaggi banging elbows at 150+mph at Sazuka a few years back, when they were still on 2 stroke 500's. Both riders were reprimanded after Biaggi tried to elbow Rossi off the track at the last corner and Rossi gave his rival a one-finger salute after recovering to win. It all got a bit handbags at dawn in the end and they were ordered to cool it by the organisers.

Bought back memories of Bazza's 2 finger salute to Robert's back in the 70's

Pure class... bring it on :chuckle:

neilbaldry
21-07-2008, 11:37 PM
One thing Stoner has over Rossi............ Time! Stoner has the best years of his MotoGP career infront of him, whereas Im not sure if Rossi will carry on past his new 2 year extension.

alreadyinuse
22-07-2008, 12:07 AM
i dont rememebr if ive siad already or not but Valentino has seen of stronger competition tha Casey. in Biaggi and Gibernau.

craigie
22-07-2008, 06:06 AM
i dont rememebr if ive siad already or not but Valentino has seen of stronger competition tha Casey. in Biaggi and Gibernau.

Did Biaggi or Gibernau ever win the premier class title? I think Stoner has proved he is stronger than them.

craigie
22-07-2008, 06:08 AM
I agree with most of that Craigie but "It's only racing......."??? WHERE'S YOUR SENSE OF PROPORTION MAN!!!

I'd bored myself by that point, you're right. Everything else is just waiting.

slob
22-07-2008, 06:15 AM
http://img442.imageshack.us/img442/3986/slownslowrrbw0.jpg

craigie
22-07-2008, 06:22 AM
Nice to see them both with full heads of hair.
Quality

NEAN&chris
22-07-2008, 09:34 AM
brilliant race. stona must have been mad with himself, and who can blame him.

alreadyinuse
22-07-2008, 10:11 AM
Did Biaggi or Gibernau ever win the premier class title? I think Stoner has proved he is stronger than them.

nah stoner only won last year cos of the Michelins problems

This year with Casey and valentino on the same tryes is a much better indication.

If he wins this year then i'll accept hes great

Mand
22-07-2008, 12:59 PM
http://img442.imageshack.us/img442/3986/slownslowrrbw0.jpg

:chuckle: :chuckle:

stuartg
22-07-2008, 03:05 PM
Did anyone else pick up on Stoners missus' face?
Her expression never changed, even when he dropped the bike!
I like you Casey but Val deserved the win, brilliant race!

Thats cos she's inflatable

stuartg
22-07-2008, 03:15 PM
There was a thread on here recently about why some of the crowd were boing Stoner after the British Moto GP, this is why, he just really gets people's backs up and comes across so godamn unsporting and annoying, I'm not advocating the booing but you can see why some are inclined to do it.

Saying that I do think he's a damn good rider but for some reason, I want to see him go to another team and do it again so he can prove himself beyond doubt.

I still hope Rossi wins in the end.

Has everyone forgotten what a "brat" Rossi was last year?
The problem with Rossi is he has always won. The year before last he should have won the title in the last race but came off. Last year he was well and truly beaten by a brilliant rider on a great bike and he finally showed his true colours, he threw his toys out of the pram, threatened to leave Yamaha and wanted the same toys.....sorry, tyres as the other children.

stuartg
22-07-2008, 03:25 PM

Gibernau, better than Stoner?
Tap yourself on the shoulder and have a serious word with yourself!!

Dave G
22-07-2008, 03:57 PM
Has everyone forgotten what a "brat" Rossi was last year?
The problem with Rossi is he has always won. The year before last he should have won the title in the last race but came off. Last year he was well and truly beaten by a brilliant rider on a great bike and he finally showed his true colours, he threw his toys out of the pram, threatened to leave Yamaha and wanted the same toys.....sorry, tyres as the other children.

Sorry,but he wasnt beaten by a brilliant rider,just a good one on the undisputedly fastest bike on the grid,powering past everyone on the first bit of straight track, he was outclassed when he didn't have a clear track and the chance to just power away.
And I'll bet the rest of the michelin runners are wishing they switched brands too,Michelin royally fecked the whole championship last year by being complacent and letting their rivals get the jump on them. Who the hell wants to watch a championship decided by tyre manufacturer. (And yes I'm aware that was reversed in the past but that doesn't make it right either,its a riders championship not a tyre war.)

stuartg
22-07-2008, 04:18 PM
It doesn't take away the fact that Stoner is the only rider who has truly beaten Rossi, (Hayden won in 06 but Rossi lost it rather than Hayden winning it). Stoner is brilliant on the Ducati simply because nobody else can ride it. I'm not saying he is better than Rossi. Rossi is undoubtedly the best in our lifetime, if not all time. My point is Stoner is being vilified for losing the plot and showing a lack of experience directly after a very tough race when he should have kept his mouth firmly shut. Nobody said anything when Rossi was doing similar last year just because things weren't going his way yet Stoner is a villain and Rossi a hero.

Dave G
22-07-2008, 04:33 PM
Stoner is being vilified as he has shown the petulant side to his nature at every opportunity,coming across as an unpleasant and arrogant little ****.
People pick up on this very quickly and they only way Stoner will make it better is to either change his public behavior and not react at all or not throw sulky fits when he doesn't get his way. How many people do you think booed him at donnington,probably no more than a handful of tossers,and yet his reaction to that will almost definately ensure it'll happen next year by a lot more.
He has received almost universal derision for his paddock outburst,all over the world and he'll find it difficult to sweep that away now his rivals, and his rivals fans, discover how easy it is to get a rise out of him.

Fodder
22-07-2008, 05:57 PM
Collie and myself watched it from the bottom of the corkscrew. Superb!!

Yorkie
22-07-2008, 06:15 PM
Stuart G,

I would however like to see Rossi try out the Ducati, then maybe one other person would be able to ride it!! (And better!!!)

Yorkie

Fodder
22-07-2008, 06:15 PM
A few of the many piccies if you're interested.....

http://i272.photobucket.com/albums/jj194/fodder37/Laguna%20seca/DSC_0066.jpg

http://i272.photobucket.com/albums/jj194/fodder37/Laguna%20seca/DSC_0230.jpg

http://i272.photobucket.com/albums/jj194/fodder37/Laguna%20seca/DSC_0137.jpg

http://i272.photobucket.com/albums/jj194/fodder37/Laguna%20seca/DSC_0301.jpg

http://i272.photobucket.com/albums/jj194/fodder37/Laguna%20seca/DSC_0223.jpg

BluprintZ
22-07-2008, 08:41 PM
Excellent pics mate, well done!

stuartg
23-07-2008, 07:43 AM
Stuart G,

I would however like to see Rossi try out the Ducati, then maybe one other person would be able to ride it!! (And better!!!)

Yorkie

Rossi on the Duc would be the ultimate but sadly its never going to happen

neilbaldry
23-07-2008, 09:14 AM
Great pics there Fodder!!

craigie
23-07-2008, 07:26 PM
Rossi on the Duc would be the ultimate but sadly its never going to happen

Because he's not got the cahunas to get on a bike that he might not be able to ride faster than a certain someone..........light the touch paper, step back and....

gremlin
23-07-2008, 07:54 PM
Because he's not got the cahunas to get on a bike that he might not be able to ride faster than a certain someone..........light the touch paper, step back and....

The yam wasn't that great before he got on it so who knows! Nobody else is doing as well on the same bikes either, if it was just down to set up Edwards, Toseland et al would be snapping at his heels. I'd like to see it happen just to give the anti brigade something to mull over because I get the feeling he would do just as well on the Duke.

neilbaldry
23-07-2008, 08:01 PM
If Rossi could win a championship on a Kwak, then I would be seriously impressed!

gremlin
23-07-2008, 09:43 PM
wouldn't we all! He really would deserve God status. It would certainly shut up the detractors then.

Chris & Nean
23-07-2008, 10:05 PM
Lol neilbaldry, that’s cruel, but what exactly is wrong with Kawasaki today anyway? and why cant they make an impact?

Kawasaki were kindov the 4th Japanese maker in the late 60’s and their products where ground braking and very extreme and exclusive (their engineers were all ex WW2 aircraft ppl, there’s loads to read online about the story) now they never seem to figure, I hope the mean green machine returns soon.

craigie
23-07-2008, 10:23 PM
wouldn't we all! He really would deserve God status. It would certainly shut up the detractors then.

Rossi is obviously an all time great, I'm just getting bored by all the Stoner detractors who seem to be Rossi nuts and the easiest way to wind them up is to slag Rossi. I'm not even a Stoner fan but it just seems every forum is full of folks knocking him, he's got the best bike, he's got the best tyres. Capirossi had the same and even had input in developing the 800 originally, Stoner got on it and instantly went faster than a proven race winner on a brand of tyres that he had never used. There has got to be some skill in there surely but no, its the electronics like everyone else has carbs. He won his first race on a new bike, new tyres, new team combo. The bike was faster on the straights because Ducati designed it that way. He rode like it was meant to be ridden and he won the championship. I don't really see the problem, apart from boring races but what was he supposed to do, slow down. I remember Rossi on the Honda blitzing everyone, ten second penalty during a race? no problem he went a bit faster and still won, was that exciting, no. Impressive but also boring.

neilbaldry
24-07-2008, 12:00 AM
Kawasaki MotoGP effort - Not even also rans in most races!
Kawasaki WSB team - Not very often to see them in the top 10!
Kawasaki WSS team - Read above!
Kawasaki BSB team - No riders in the top 10 leader board

Its a shame as I used to like the 7R in WSB and BSB

slob
24-07-2008, 06:11 AM
If Rossi could win a championship on a Kwak, then I would be seriously impressed!

You could have said exactly the same thing about Yamaha a couple of years ago, 10mph slower than a Honda on the straights, struggling to get into the top ten every weekend and still a race/championship winner winner the next season.

gremlin
24-07-2008, 07:48 AM
I've got nothing against Stoner, he's on a great bike which he has gelled with and if he can get away from the pack flies off into the distance. It's just his whinging when he's had to work hard for a race, every time he's been pressurised he's had a face like a slapped arse in parc ferme if he's got that far. The rest get on with it, congratulate the winner unless he's really scraped the paint off and that's the end of it. It's about time he grew up and stopped acting like the playground bully is picking on him. Racing is tough, and if he doesn't like having to fight off the likes off Rossi perhaps he should take Troys place in WSB.

Mand
24-07-2008, 08:23 AM
perhaps he should take Troys place in WSB.

I disagree, he is obviously talented and has a brilliant career ahead of him, remember he is still very young, but all this behaviour, in my opinion, makes it a more interesting championship, for example Rossi playing "mind games", Stoner being a "mardy ar$e", Lorenzo forever flying through the air, just look at the replies to this thread for example..... it's a good talking point!

I, for one, am loving this year!

stuartg
24-07-2008, 08:54 AM
I disagree, he is obviously talented and has a brilliant career ahead of him, remember he is still very young, but all this behaviour, in my opinion, makes it a more interesting championship, for example Rossi playing "mind games", Stoner being a "mardy ar$e", Lorenzo forever flying through the air, just look at the replies to this thread for example..... it's a good talking point!

I, for one, am loving this year!

I'm with you Mand, obviously only in a plutonic sense, oo 'er. Mr Cake would batter me (he thinks)

slob
24-07-2008, 08:56 AM
I'm with you Mand, obviously only in a plutonic sense, oo 'er. Mr Cake would batter me (he thinks)

mmmm.... batter

Mand
24-07-2008, 08:59 AM
mmmm.... batter

Mmmm beer batter on chunky cod....... :biggrin:

stuartg
24-07-2008, 09:27 AM
Mmmm beer batter on chunky cod....... :biggrin:

Yuk, sometimes you can be a right minger !!

Mand
24-07-2008, 09:45 AM
Yuk, sometimes you can be a right minger !!

Oh how rude! There is nothing like a decent piece of fish in beer batter.

You haven't lived Gascoyne you slaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaag!

:mand:

stuartg
24-07-2008, 10:02 AM
Oh how rude! There is nothing like a decent piece of fish in beer batter.

You haven't lived Gascoyne you slaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaag!

:mand:

Well, if thats living you need to get a life. Get some lovely jellied eels down ya neck and GET OUTTA MY PUB !!!

albs
24-07-2008, 11:19 AM

the year before rossi went to yamaha,they had one solitary podium (iirc)
which isnt that far away from where kwak are now. many armchair experts predicted that it was career suicide ,and the head of hrc stated publicly that honda were going to destroy rossi.
stoner however,when riding the suzuki spent more time on his arse than on the bike but is now in a team that is built around him and him alone,and has electronic management devices which are years ahead of every other bike on the grid (quiet possibly including his own team mate.)
edit-anyone know why my post count stopped at 19 ,many moons ago.?

nambduke
24-07-2008, 11:38 AM
......for me it's simple some of the greats are flawed but still great riders. It's hard to put a finger on it but I think it's about being human and not taking yourself too seriously. Thinking back, Phil Read used to right up himself, but Surtees was a gentleman. Sheene was a sod but a likeable chap similar I think to Rossi - if something's wrong, he'll kick off and he was also good at mind games....think it used to called gamesmanship in my day. Kenny Roberts, was bordering on boring sometimes, but an absolute class act. I like Freddie Spencer and Randy Mamola, but dislike Fogarty as a person, but what a racer - well in WSB on a Ducati....!!! The list is endless.....as for Stoner.....IMHO a spoilt brat....just don't like him......but a great rider.....

I think I'm saying I like characters....people who have a personality....

So, come on Rossi...................

Regards,
Mark 'Feel better I've had my 2 penneth' Nambduke (just hit 300posts!!)

slob
24-07-2008, 11:52 AM
stoner however,when riding the suzuki spent more time on his arse than on the bike
I think it was an LCR Honda and it was obvious then that he was going to be blindingly fast as soon as he learn't to stay on one for race distance.

but is now in a team that is built around him and him alone,and has electronic management devices which are years ahead of every other bike on the grid (quiet possibly including his own team mate.)
Ducati still want costructors' titles and you don't get them by backing only one rider. All the teams have a ton of electronic management systems not just Ducati.

anyone know why my post count stopped at 19 ,many moons ago.?
because posts in 'Random Chat' don't count

neilbaldry
24-07-2008, 12:24 PM
Well, lets change the subject and talk about Nicky Hayden!

Since 2003 he has only won 3 races, hes an ex-world champ, who seems to have been made the number 2 rider at Honda. Did you all see his reaction when the camera was on him in his pit garage after the Laguna Seca race?!?!?

To be honest, I dont think he won the 2006 title, but Capirossi and Rossi lost it.

Mand
24-07-2008, 12:39 PM
Well, lets change the subject and talk about Nicky Hayden!

Since 2003 he has only won 3 races, hes an ex-world champ, who seems to have been made the number 2 rider at Honda. Did you all see his reaction when the camera was on him in his pit garage after the Laguna Seca race?!?!?

To be honest, I dont think he won the 2006 title, but Capirossi and Rossi lost it.

Nicky Hayden.... Suzy Perry's favourite subject. :chuckle: Agreed, if Rossi hadn't have binned it on the last race, he would have won the championship but life is like that, ifs and buts...

benson
24-07-2008, 12:50 PM
Beer batter (preferably Adnams) on chinky cod with chips and mushy peas. Oh sorry - was someone talking about GP? I think the Ducati bike is by far the nicest to look at so I want it to win. Rossi is amazing but I do think Stoner has another level of talent waiting to escape - his age is both for and against him and he's done tremendous things on that bike in my opinion so I for one am enjoying the season, from the luxury of my bed and the iPlayer!!!

Pedro
24-07-2008, 02:52 PM
My two penneth...

What we all saw and enjoyed at the weekend was good tough racing and some have more experience than others in riding like this. Think back to when Pedrosa joined the top class, very quick from the outset but bitched like crazy to the press as soon as Vale roughed him up a bit with some aggressive passes. Sound familiar? Well both Pedrosa and Stoner both did well in the lower classes but rarely got involved in close quarter combat. Pedrosa was a master of either escaping or biding his time and mugging people on the last couple of laps. Now, Stoner has had the luxury of a stupid fast bike and (last year at least) a big tyre advantage so his wins were escape acts mostly. There is no doubt that last years Michelins were less than good. Rossi was adamant that he wanted Bridgestones to even the playing field against the Stoner/Ducati combo as he's been quoted as saying all along he's the biggest threat this year.

In my opinion, Stoner's outbursts at the weekend were petulant at best (sore loser?) and showed a weakness in that he doesn't like close aggressive moves. Rossi has been perfecting these for years on the likes of Gibers, Max and a good few others along the way, from 125s upwards. I think Stoner has shown a weakness that Rossi will try to exploit at every opportunity.

Frankly, I hope we get this in every race to come because Stoner or anyone else for that matter clearing off into the distance is dull. Actually, I think they should bring back the 500 strokers (circa 1985-2001) and see who could a) ride them fast, b) ride without electronics and c) live to walk away unhurt...! From the two stroke days, only two riders who were champions did not have career ending injuries caused by the strokers, Lawson and Rossi...

Pedro
24-07-2008, 02:55 PM
Oh and for what it's worth, yes, I'm a Rossi fan as he brings so much more to the GP than just race wins. He's a big personality that understands how to win a crowd over, make racing exciting and more than anything probably the greatest racer yet seen.

To me, Stoner, Pedrosa etc all appear to have had charisma bypasses...

craigie
24-07-2008, 03:01 PM
From the two stroke days, only two riders who were champions did not have career ending injuries caused by the strokers, Gardener and Rossi...

Not that I know the facts but seeing that the strokers era was a fairly long one I would be surprised if only two champions survived, Sheene for one had his career ended by his gob, Schwantz hopped off because someone else's career was ended by injury, I'm sure someone with knowledge could name more.

Pedro
24-07-2008, 05:00 PM
As lifted from Motorcycle Racer Magazine...

"Apart from Eddie Lawson and Valentino Rossi, every 500cc world champion from that glorious period (circa 1985 to 2001) was left broken. Physically the injuries ranged from the horrendous wrist injuries suffered by Kevin Schwantz to the unfortunate Wayne Rainey (paralysed). Even Mick Doohan suffered badly, nearly losing his leg and subsequently suffering a recovery period that left him looking like a ghostly bag of skin and bones. Those things (the 500s) also took their toll mentally. Alex Criville cried enough and Wayne Gardener couldn't keep putting himself through the physical torture of crashing and mending anymore, even though he won the crown in 1987"

"There were two reasons why they were so nasty to ride. The first was incredible power, a light (135kg minimum weight for the v fours) bike with nearly 200bhp sited between a few hundred revs made for exiting stuff. The second was the simple fact that if you got it wrong, even by the smallest of margins, you were punished with a crunching cocktail of rapid air time followed by a solid hammering into whatever was the hardest thing nearby, usually at insane speeds"

Whilst I've every respect for todays up and coming riders, the later stages of the two stroke era produced some brave and heroic riders and some very close, tough racing.

neilbaldry
24-07-2008, 05:29 PM
Surely, if Rossi wins the title this seaon, he has to be THE greatest rider (of modern times atleast). To win on 125, 250, 500, 990, and (if he wins this year) 800 cc bikes must make him a pretty much dead cert for eternal greatness!

I agree Ped, the kids coming through nowadays are PR nightmares. Introverted, somewhat grumpy, and rarely noble in defeat. Maybe they need a good kick of reality to make them see sence.

Stafford
24-07-2008, 06:27 PM
Rossi = GOAT

gremlin
24-07-2008, 06:53 PM
Rossi hasn't got to win many more to overtake Agostinis record, the way he's riding this year it should be sewn up by the end, then I don't think there's much he has to prove. Yes he plays mind games, can be a bit tough on overtakes but isn't that what racing is all about? What's the use of being good on a bike that pi$$es off into the distance if you can't handle proper fairing to fairing racing. This year has been one of the better seasons there's been a good mix of winners some good old fashioned racing and long may it continue.

neilbaldry
14-08-2008, 08:44 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lboSRZT2XxI

I just got this from the motogp youtube subscription i have, and just to fuel the fire (!!!), they made it easier to understand what rossi and stoner said by adding subtitles.............