PDA

View Full Version : S4 - Neutral light - Help please

LVC
18-07-2008, 10:43 AM
I've started to get an intermittent problem with my S4. I've a side stand bypass fitted (for over two years with no probs) and am starting to have problems with the neutral light and henceforth the starting. Normally you turn on and the oil, temp and neutral lights come on - start the bike (on it's side stand) and off you go. However for the last couple of weeks I've had an intermittent problem with the neutral light not coming on and therefore no starting -if I raise the sidestand the light comes on and then lower it the light stays on and it all starts (with either stand up or down thanks to the bypass). Yesterday the neutral light didn't come on on stopping the bike in Neutral and then did when I fired it up again.

I appreciate this is an electrical niggle but would be grateful for advice on is it:

Option a - Neutral selector switch
Option b - Side stand safety switch
Option c - Side stand bypass circuit
Option d - none of the above

Advice please - before I start dismantaling bits.

Ta, LVC

Scotty
18-07-2008, 04:02 PM
i vote C

remove bypass and see if it all works normally

stef
18-07-2008, 04:07 PM
Option e - the dash

dunlop0_1
18-07-2008, 04:23 PM
i vote C

remove bypass and see if it all works normally

I agree with Scotty.

crust
18-07-2008, 05:16 PM
the neutral light wire plugs into the back of the engine

this sometimes works loose, unplug it and squeeze it slightly with a pair of pliers, then plug it back in

:)crust

Scotty
18-07-2008, 07:41 PM
the neutral light wire plugs into the back of the engine

this sometimes works loose, unplug it and squeeze it slightly with a pair of pliers, then plug it back in

:)crust

ahh now thats what i was thinking to begin with , but the light comes back on with the side stand down again gently ~:?

LVC
18-07-2008, 08:30 PM
Cheers chaps.

As a starter I've re-tightened the plug as crust suggested. I've also found the installation instructions for the bypass and have located where I connected it. I'd rather not disconnect the bypass as I've got used to starting whilst on the side stand. I'll test this weekend and maybe redo the bypass connections as the next step if crust's suggestion doesn't solve it.

Once again - many thanks for all your advice (especially Stef's - an English speaking Frenchman riding an Italian bike - sounds dodgy to me :spin:).

LVC
20-07-2008, 08:08 PM
Finished a 200 mile road trip today with numerous stops and restarts (planned) and the neutral light problem never reared it's head - many thanks to all for the advice and at the moment it looks like crust was on the money. Ta muchly.

stef
21-07-2008, 06:33 AM
Once again - many thanks for all your advice (especially Stef's - an English speaking Frenchman riding an Italian bike - sounds dodgy to me :spin:).

what do you mean ?
i could also add

f - tester's eye sight !

;-)

How's the Z ?

LVC
21-07-2008, 06:14 PM
what do you mean ?
i could also add

f - tester's eye sight !

;-)

How's the Z ?

:dizzy: :scratch:

The Z is all blinged up ready for its role as lead bike on this Sunday's run - had a real blast on the S4 yesterday and next Sunday we're off down to La Loire....

http://i284.photobucket.com/albums/ll38/LVC1/Monster%20Forum/LVC-Z750J2P4.jpg

We must get together before the summer ends Stef ....