PDA

View Full Version : Trailer on tour!

Kazza
14-07-2008, 08:29 PM
Got back on Saturday night from a trip up to the West Coast of Scotland - can thoroughly recommend some of the roads - particularly from Clachan, Tarbert, Argyll up to Oban, back down to Inverary, Lochgilphead, back down towards Campbeltown. We cheated getting up there - took the bikes on a trailer - best thing we have ever done! Had some great weather. Spotted a couple of monsters - one with red frame on A83, - black & tangerine not far from Loch Lomond. Had a couple of interesting moments with the trailer - including having to sort a loose jockey wheel on the trailer in the middle of Glasgow holding up all the traffic and seeing my S4R slide towards the outside of the trailer 5 minutes after leaving the hotel to come home! Slight panick, but managed to sort quite quickly. Picture attached of duc's on trailer.

MrsJel
14-07-2008, 08:37 PM
What a good idea - we're off up there quite soon, but we're riding up. We are breaking the journey south of Glasgow though so we don't have to do the whole trip in one day.

Got a few routes planned will more than likely cover some of the same ground as you.

Carole

Kazza
14-07-2008, 09:36 PM
Good idea to break up the journey. We find that anything over 200 miles in a day is too much (probably an age thing)!! Hoping to take the bikes over to South of France next year on the trailer - so getting as much practice in over here this year as possible now. Enjoy your trip.

Cheers

gremlin
14-07-2008, 09:59 PM
We're heading to Devon and Cornwall in a couple of weeks and trailering, I couldn't ride that far in one hit and it would be a shame to stop off every 160 odd miles! We bought a huge tent so we can stash the bikes under cover when it's wet. It also means on bad days we have an alternative mode of transport so I don't have to ride.

dam
15-07-2008, 12:20 AM
including having to sort a loose jockey wheel on the trailer in the middle of Glasgow holding up all the traffic and seeing my S4R slide towards the outside of the trailer 5 minutes after leaving the hotel to come home!.

Ah, it was you!

Half Pint
15-07-2008, 08:57 AM
I recently went on a tour to and round scotland and wish we had take the trailer option to start with, doing 300 miles each day was not the most enjoyable, however I loved every minute of riding the A roads of the highlands in total we completed 1500 miles in 5 days of which the last day was glasgow to london which i never wish to do again.

Humbucker
15-07-2008, 11:09 AM
Good idea to break up the journey. We find that anything over 200 miles in a day is too much (probably an age thing)!! Hoping to take the bikes over to South of France next year on the trailer - so getting as much practice in over here this year as possible now. Enjoy your trip.

Cheers

Can recommend riding down though. The french motorways are so smooth. Met loads of bikers of all ages on way down who said that the thought of doing 600 miles in a day in england is terrifying, but over there it a breeze.

Kazza
15-07-2008, 09:37 PM
Can recommend riding down though. The french motorways are so smooth. Met loads of bikers of all ages on way down who said that the thought of doing 600 miles in a day in england is terrifying, but over there it a breeze.

Would you recommend anywhere in particular in France?

Humbucker
15-07-2008, 10:03 PM
Only rode as far as MOnt Blanc the headed into Switzerland and across and down into italy. Most of France is very flat so depends what you are looking for. Can recommend Switzerland and Italy though