PDA

View Full Version : Help -Lost Key!!

RSpete
13-07-2008, 07:20 PM
Right, here's a lesson in what not to do,
Only have one key for your bike
Promise yourself you will get a spare cut ( but don't)
Lose the only key you have!!!

Sooo, my question is, does anyone know if you can get a key cut when you don't have the original and have no record of the key number, assuming they have one on them. I have looked at the ignition barrel steering lock thingy and there is a number on the base of this but I don't know whether that refers to the key or the casting.
Its an elderly 98ish 600 Monster so no immobiliser nonsense. I would just rather not have to replace the ignition switch, fuel cap and seat lock if at all possible!
Any help or advice would be very welcome.

Cheers rspete

Scotty
13-07-2008, 08:41 PM
take ignition barrel off , hotwire it when needed , replace locking fuel cap with a none locking one , and just reach around for the wire on seat lock

RSpete
13-07-2008, 09:43 PM
Hi Scotty
Many thanks for your reply. I will bear it in mind if no other options appear.

I would however really like to still be able to use the locks etc if possible!!

RSpete
13-07-2008, 09:47 PM
Hey, how come I am listed as a GUEST? According to my profile I am a Junior Member with 8 posts, not exactly high output but still a member!

Paivi
13-07-2008, 11:02 PM
A good locksmith can cut you a new key from the ignition barrel, same as they can cut a new house key from a lock. I've no idea where you're based, but if you're in Essex/London/Kent, this place is recommended, and is indeed used by Parkinsons:

Keys Is Us
Rear Of
41 London Rd, Colchester, CO3 9AJ
01206 766418

Give them or a local one a call.

If you had the number your dealer might be able to get new keys. Check with your dealer if the number you can see is of any help. The problem I foresee with this approach, though, is that the bike is 10 years old, so brand new keys might not work properly, as the barrel's worn, same as you notice with spare keys for your house. Also, you'd best put your boots on, as the factory closes for the whole of August and they're not that efficient at best of times.

CK & AK
14-07-2008, 07:01 AM
Old Kawasaki blanks are useful as are similar to Ducati ones.
Take the ignition barrell off & take it to your local motorfactors or key cutters which do car/bike key cutting.
Hope you get yourself sorted, as its a pig to take the tank one out as there is a security bolt on the inside of the tank cap too.

Scotty
14-07-2008, 04:41 PM
in fact isn't the key number also etched on the barrel somewhere ?

(nee security bolt on my SS tank lock :( )