View Full Version : 600 monster showa frt forks twin disc

fuelline
10-07-2008, 02:20 PM
fork legs or just good quality stanchions required

thanks

fuelline

singletrack
10-07-2008, 02:43 PM
I have a set of (unadjustable )forks from an S2R which have only done 600 miles. They are for twin discs. I don't know if they will fit a 600 - perhaps someone can tell us.

I will let them go for a song to make some space in the garage.

Anne

slob
10-07-2008, 02:46 PM
Depends on the year, probaly alright from around 98 on

Gilps
10-07-2008, 02:49 PM
I have a set of (unadjustable )forks from an S2R which have only done 600 miles. They are for twin discs. I don't know if they will fit a 600 - perhaps someone can tell us.

I will let them go for a song to make some space in the garage.

Anne

Yep, they will fit. My ones from my S2R were on the 600 DD bike. All Monsters are 50mm, as are the S2R

CK & AK
10-07-2008, 06:10 PM
Yep, they will fit. My ones from my S2R were on the 600 DD bike. All Monsters are 50mm, as are the S2R

forks will fit - so will existing yokes, but the guy might have to change the front spindle to a later large one if he has an early monster (pre99 model with narrow spindle)- as well as calipers and mudguard. If he has an early bike, he will also have to change the wheel bearings if he wants to keep the existing front wheel.
If he has a later post 98 600 with a big hollow wheel spindle of 25mm then it will all fit straight in.

AK :)

singletrack
10-07-2008, 07:00 PM
It's a '99 Monster, so hopefully will fit without adjustments.

Gilps
10-07-2008, 08:42 PM
forks will fit - so will existing yokes, but the guy might have to change the front spindle to a later large one if he has an early monster (pre99 model with narrow spindle)- as well as calipers and mudguard. If he has an early bike, he will also have to change the wheel bearings if he wants to keep the existing front wheel.
If he has a later post 98 600 with a big hollow wheel spindle of 25mm then it will all fit straight in.

Quite right. I just assumed that as he already had Showas that they would be the later type. I thought all the Showas were of the later variety. Worth checking though.

fuelline
10-07-2008, 09:24 PM
Thanks for above help, just got in, will be checking frt end tomorrow am,
and will PM you (Singletrack) tomorrow

cheers Fuelline

Quite right. I just assumed that as he already had Showas that they would be the later type. I thought all the Showas were of the later variety. Worth checking though.

fuelline
13-07-2008, 12:32 PM
thanks for advice on this so far
I measured the wheel spindle and it actually measure 30mm dia, not 25mm, so now a little confused?
the model is a 99 600 with twin disc showa forks, mm?

any ideas

CK & AK
13-07-2008, 07:39 PM
at one end it will have an increased diameter to act as a spacer to centralise the wheel when you put it in.
Measure the side with the nut on, that should be 25mm as is usual on the later bikes.

What is wrong with your showa forks then?

alreadyinuse
13-07-2008, 07:54 PM
I wouldnt bother.sp
The extra weight will slow you down. the disc is rotating mass so it will effect acceleration
If you want better brakes fit a radial master HHpads and one floating disc from a later 748 916.

fuelline
14-07-2008, 08:15 AM
cheers CK & AK,
I'll come back to you on this....bloody work keeps getting in the way of things!!

at one end it will have an increased diameter to act as a spacer to centralise the wheel when you put it in.
Measure the side with the nut on, that should be 25mm as is usual on the later bikes.

What is wrong with your showa forks then?

makemdan
14-07-2008, 08:30 AM
I've a pair of Brembo calipers from a 2005 S2R with 1500 miles on them, pads as well though I'll need to check they haven't been contaminated. They were surplus as I replaced the front end with S4R forks and brakes