PDA

View Full Version : Wannabe (desperately) Monster owner

Stylet
08-07-2008, 02:23 PM
Hi All,

Have been visiting the forum lately and have found it great. Congrats to admins and mods for the good work and to all members.

I decided to join as I wanted to ask some questions that will hopefully get me closer to changing that awful "No bike yet" in my profile.
I am looking for a 620ie and have been scanning the market throughout the last few months. I am 26 and have not been riding a bike while I have been in the UK (8 years now), but already started the process for getting my EU Cat A license (passed the theoretical test and will do the practical in Aug). The only reason is that back home it costs me 1/3 of what it would here. I have had various mopeds in the past and have been on bigger bikes that belonged to friends.

On to my questions:
1) Do you think I should wait a bit longer until more 696s start arriving with their new owners until I make a move for a 620?
2) I knew that insurance was going to be dear...but was a bit surprised today when I looked into an online quote to get a rough idea and it came up with almost £1000!

If there is another member here with a EU/EEC (or simply European) license, I would be really grateful if they could tell me how they got over the problem and whether the above premium sounds right.

Thanks in advance and keep up the good work!!!

Nonnie
08-07-2008, 04:00 PM
Not sure I can help with your questions but a bit fat hello anyway.

CK & AK
08-07-2008, 04:29 PM
Hi - welcome :)
Drop Tonio600 a private message - he's a froggie, same age as you - and I think he's using his french licence still (tho I could be wrong)

Cheers

CK

Stylet
08-07-2008, 05:20 PM
Hello Nonnie and CK,

thanks for the welcoming posts and the help. will drop Tonio a message and find out.

take care

tasminracer
08-07-2008, 07:22 PM
Yikes that insurance seems a lot... maybe being an old git helps...

im 39 but have only just passed my das so no experience or ncb and through ducati insurance its cost me under 300 quid fully comp, parked in a garage for a brand new 695

I can sympahise with your problems trying to find a bike though, they dont seem to hang about in the dealers long... I was looking for a 2nd hand 695, but the ones i found flew out of the shops before I had a chance to look at them, so ended up with a new one !!!!

have you tried E-bay? seem to be a few on there most of the time

G

johnsy
09-07-2008, 07:43 AM
Hi and welcome,
i'm british, lived in Spain for 4 years with my Monster, and my license was fine, even the local guardia civil were happy with it to the point, that i had an afternoon out with the Jefe (Boss) swapping my Monster for his Police bike (better than the ticket he 1st offered me). As far as i'm aware European license's are valid in all of Europe as long as the address on the license is your address (or a mate/family member will do)
I'm struggling to upload photo's aswell, can't even get a smiley up :-(

cairojay
09-07-2008, 08:33 AM
Hi and welcome,
i'm british, lived in Spain for 4 years with my Monster, and my license was fine, even the local guardia civil were happy with it to the point, that i had an afternoon out with the Jefe (Boss) swapping my Monster for his Police bike (better than the ticket he 1st offered me). As far as i'm aware European license's are valid in all of Europe as long as the address on the license is your address (or a mate/family member will do)
I'm struggling to upload photo's aswell, can't even get a smiley up :-(

Yeah but johnsy.....its Spain, try swapping bikes to save a ticket with yer local Fuzz here! I rode a Fireblade on a provisional in Cyprus a few years ago and the local police didn't give a stuff, but got searched in Germany for doing the same thing before being unceremoniously dumped on the French border at Strasbourg. All good fun though - had the best time in France and the French didn't seem to care either. I would like to add that I have finally passed my DAS and am a good boy. On a more serious note it seems that a full UK licence is accepted anywhere including Germany!

Stylet
09-07-2008, 09:23 AM
Hi all, thank you for your posts.

I am sure that it is legal to ride here with a EU license but slightly unsure with regards to how insurance companies deal with it. I guess I have to make a few phonecalls as I can't imagine that there aren't any other european riders in the same position.

tasminracer, I was expecting a premium more or less around yours or even an extra £100 because of the age thing....but a grand is too much!!
The truth is that there aren't as many 620s out there as I was expecting. Of course I like the bike so much I kind of assumed that everybody would have one, hence there would be a lot more available second hand :-).
I have looked an ebay and there's a couple available but I haven't really ever used the site for any purchases. I hope that more 696s will start arriving from Italy soon, prompting more 620s to go on sale by their owners. A lot of other bikes available but I am so in love with the monster that I can't picture myself on anything else!

If I find out more about the license/insurance thing I will post here in case other members can benefit from it.

giler
09-07-2008, 10:11 AM
Yikes that insurance seems a lot... maybe being an old git helps...
G

Being an old git DOES help - 45 and my 900 ids £137 fully comp with Carole Nash!

gremlin
09-07-2008, 10:44 AM
Being an old git DOES help - 45 and my 900 ids £137 fully comp with Carole Nash!

Being a an old girl helps even more £117 fully comp with Norwich Union through my local broker. That's with the two years NCB from the 125 having just done my test. Apparantly you don't normally get NCB off less powerful bikes so I don't know what the broker did. Carole Nash wanted what you paid.

johnsy
09-07-2008, 11:48 AM
try an insurance comparison www. My last bike was a Benelli TNT went from over 250 down to 87 quid, couldn't believe the difference, although just changed it to the Monster and it was 25 quid admin fee. Always worth 20 mins searching, good luck.

Stylet
09-07-2008, 11:54 AM
Did an online quote with bikesure.com and came up with £300 approx. which I think is reasonable. Moreover it lists EU/EEC licenses as on option.

Has anybody had any experience with them?

johnsy
09-07-2008, 01:01 PM
Did an online quote with bikesure.com and came up with £300 approx. which I think is reasonable. Moreover it lists EU/EEC licenses as on option.

Yes, think you'll find they're a broker (nearly all are) as long as you've told the truth then you're fine. I've never claimed with any insurance, touch wood, so can't comment on speed of a pay-out

MrsJel
09-07-2008, 08:35 PM

I've used bikesure over the last 5 years - chose them in the end because they were the only people who did not insist that I had an alarm fitted.

Latest renewal was £95 fully comp including business use on S2R800 (am also an old git) - have just been quoted same for 696.

Carole

neilbaldry
09-07-2008, 08:53 PM
I used them when i had an RVG250 then a VFR400. They arent bad, I dont really have a bad word to say about them.

On the bike purchasing front, I would only ever buy from a dealer, just for the peace of mind a warrenty brings. Unless it was an extra special private buy!

boris
09-07-2008, 09:29 PM
It's a shame that I'm at the other end of the world as my beautiful baby has to go very soon.......

adam15
10-07-2008, 03:07 PM
welcome to the site.
The insurance, dispite it being rather high is about right for your age especially as you have No NCD but if you can afford to do it the second year will probably be a good few hundred cheaper. There is something about ducati's being rather more expensive with insurance companies even the old ones.

Stylet
10-07-2008, 05:35 PM
Hi again and thanks for the feedback.

I have looked into it a bit more and used a couple of the online comparison websites. They have a variety of options which apply to my type of license as well as letting you know at the end which brokers do not insure you and why.

On average, it's around £300 which taking into account everything I think is a fair price. Hopefully with no claims throughout the first year (and being a year older) it's going to decrease further.

All that's missing is the bike now :-).

Stylet
06-11-2008, 08:49 PM
I'm back to ask for some more help....but I have made a lot of progress!

I have completed and passed the test for my license. More importantly I 've put down a deposit today for an 04 reg 620ie! :spin::D:spin::D

I am picking it up on Saturday. Have looked at the bike today and so far I am quite happy with what I have seen. It comes with FSH, 4100 miles, one owner, there's not a single scratch on it, basic electrics seemed to work fine and when we started it and revved it up it sounded very healthy. On the whole the bike looks "clean" and well looked after.

Still being very new at this and unfortunately crap when it comes to mechanic/engine aspect of the bike, I would like some advice on what to include in my final check list on Saturday. Feedback will be greatly appreciated and in return I will put photos on the site asap of my new love :D.

P.S : Needless to mention that since I left the dealer's I am one of the candidates for Colgate's "Smile of the year" award. :D

gary tompkins
06-11-2008, 10:59 PM
Even though it's low milage & has FSH, find out exactly when belts were last changed. If it's been standing un-ridden for a while they may well need doing again? Should be swapped at 12000 miles or 2 year intervals.

Good luck with the bike & post some photo's

ton_up
07-11-2008, 07:58 AM
If you want a 620ie my ex is selling my 03 bike in the spring (or possibley sooner). It's red and has been well looked after and loved dearly, goes well! It's got Remus cans on it but he has the standards too. Good Luck

Stylet
10-11-2008, 11:17 AM
Here's my new pride. Better pictures to follow once the weather improves.
Very very happy and looking forward to meeting members of the board. Thanks for all your help so far and please keep the advice coming.

Nonnie
10-11-2008, 11:20 AM
Looking good. Now buy the poor baby a cover if it is to live outside. A nice fleecy one!

Stylet
10-11-2008, 11:22 AM
Thanks Nonnie. Did that before I picked up the bike as it was pouring it down on Saturday.

david brent
10-11-2008, 04:14 PM
looking good Stylet, i've been riding my 05' 620ie since May, and i've been loving every minute of it...

Rudeboy
10-11-2008, 06:06 PM
Good lookin bike Stylet. Get yourself the rear seat cover and it'll be all set !!

Welcome aboard !!

paul33
10-11-2008, 06:19 PM

hi and welcome yes im with them been with them 2 yrs now and had no probs at all my 750 is £138 a yr wich i think is ok
and your bike looks a good en happy riding and go steady

Stylet
11-11-2008, 09:00 AM
Thanks everybody. Forecast for next 4 days says dry weather, can't wait! :spin: