PDA

View Full Version : side stand motor Immobiliser

Ducmon
08-07-2008, 01:59 PM
Can any body tell me if the 1995 600 monster had a relay which means that the motor can not be started when the side stand is down. I have checked a German wiring diagram which does not show one just a warning light.

snakey
08-07-2008, 06:33 PM
i think they all have that one! - mainly thanks to some dumb yank riding off with his sidestand down (arround 1978) and sueing kawasaki because he fell off! most bikes come with some such device, the Duc's is a real pain in the a**e as you can't warm the bike up or do any maintanance that requires the bike running, there is a bypass that is easy to fit and allows the bike to be started on the side but cuts out if put in gear with it down
Pete

gary tompkins
08-07-2008, 07:54 PM
Only later UK spec monsters (about Y2K onwards) have sidestand cut-out

Earlier bikes have stand that flips up (spring loaded) with a warning lamp on dash

Ducmon
09-07-2008, 09:35 AM
Thanks for the answer that it after 2000. This saves me a lot of problems with the German MOT.

Ducmon
12-07-2008, 01:17 PM
there is a bypass that is easy to fit and allows the bike to be started on the side but cuts out if put in gear with it down
Pete

Hi Pete,

can you please explain how to wire up the duc so that it would be posible to do this.

David

snakey
12-07-2008, 06:11 PM
it is available (or was) from Spare shack and fits to the wire that runs to the switch behind the side stand and then into the loom, it comes with full instructions and took me about 1/2 an hour to fit. you could try e-bay if spareshack do not do them any more.
Pete.

gary tompkins
12-07-2008, 06:17 PM
there is a bypass that is easy to fit and allows the bike to be started on the side but cuts out if put in gear with it down
Pete

Hi Pete,

can you please explain how to wire up the duc so that it would be posible to do this.

David

But you wouldn't need one if the bike's a 1995 model & minus the cut-out switch :confused:

Ducmon
14-07-2008, 10:59 AM
The Germans are real B***ers. They failed a Yamaha which was built before 1986 because it did not have one fitted. A friendly mechanic is going to help me fit a relay which would cut out the ignition if the side stand is down but the way described by Pete would be a lot better as I would still be able to work on it with the side stand down.

David

Ducmon
17-07-2008, 08:23 AM
Can anybody tell me which would be the best way to fit the relay so that I can cut out the ignition when the side stand is down. I dont want to butcher the wiring to much.

The German mot man has confirmed that it needs to be done to comply to German law.

Ducmon
29-07-2008, 01:05 PM
It has now been rewired and just in case anybody else wants to do this modification. I used a Good sky Gl-S relay. You have to cut through two wires, the grey from the stand switch and the blue red from the starter switch to the starter relay.

The grey is joined to relay at connection 85.

connection 86 goes to the battery.

connection 30 goes end of the blue red wire from starter relay.

connection 87a goes to the other end of the blue red cable coming from the starter switch.

The only problem that we have found is that the starter relay is always drawing electricity, but this seems to be a design feature of Ducati.

This can be overcome by the use of a hidden switch which break the circuit.This arrangement means that the engine can not be started with the side stand down but once started the side stand can be lowered and the engine still runs.

Please check your wiring loom though because we found that mine does not match the hand book for colours and I would not like you to damage your machine. It took us 7 hours to sort out which cable did what and to rewire. But I passed the full inspection with this modification so I can now register my bike in Germany.